Half marathon training

Hey guys!

Just thought I'd jump in here! I have been training for a half marathon!

I started in November at the gym and could only run 5 mins on a treadmill! Then built it up a bit at a time!

Now I can do a 6-8 mile road run! I did do 10 miles once!

So I am Deffinatly getting there!

I struggle breathing outdoors sometimes! I can do a half marathon in gym, outdoors is different! Anyway i have now started weight watchers!

So if I can run 8 miles with a bmi of 29.7 then just think what I can achieve once I lose some lbs!

Sushi - How did you move to outside running? I made the mistake of moving from outside to treadmill due to knee problems, but now struggling to run outside.

I did a 5 mile treadmill run today.
My x-training is going quite well, but lacking a bit of stamina on my runs. I'm looking at going for a short run outside this w/e. If I struggle too much or end up in pain again then I will have to forget Silverstone.

What's everyones running plans for this w/e??

I am doing a 7 mile treadmill run. Considering going to the running shop again to go back on the gait analysis. I'm not convinced my trainers are working as they should. When I first got them they felt so comfy, but now they feel uncomfortable and they just don't feel right :-(

I'm planning in a 6-7 mile on the road on Saturday but depends how wet/cold it is lol

I hope you don't think I'm being patronising, but do you have proper running socks?!

Do running socks make a difference? I do have a pair, but rarely wear them.

Shazzabir said:
Do running socks make a difference? I do have a pair, but rarely wear them.
I don't know if it's the same for everyone but they definitely make a difference for me. Running without them feels uncomfortable, like there's something not quite right but I can't quite put my finger on it!

Yup I have to agree with the sock thing too. I had a pair bought me for Xmas. They were steep at £10.50 for one pair but they fully hug my feet and I can defo tell the difference between running in them & other socks.

Are you tieing your laces too tight/loose perhaps? Sometimes I stop during a run and retie them to be sure as feet can swell when running xx

Hi guys.......it's been a while. Took a break from running over Christmas and it's literally today I've started back. Oops!!!

Started today on b210k. Ran 6km (3.7 miles) on the treadmill today and felt pretty good (though a blister did make an appearance during the last stretch! Vaseline possibly next time!! I was wearing running socks as well!!).

I've downloaded a half marathon training app this afternoon for the iphone. It's from the people who made c25k and b210k. It's a plan written by a runner (Hal something or other???) but used by the c25k people. It was quite expensive at £6.99 but I find the other programmes good so hope this will be the same.

Going to complete the b210k first and then move on to the half marathon.

As for the socks......I find start fitness a really good site to get things like that from. Proper socks do make a difference xx

Hi Rachel, well done. The Hal Higdon app, I got that and its good but the gps didn't work very well and now all the training information in the bar at the bottom of the bar has disappeared! I'm following that plan but using my Nike+ app. Hope you have more luck with Hal Higdon.

That's interesting that you think running socks make a difference and yet you picked up a blister. I haven't had any blisters to date (touch wood!) and I just use my normal socks.

I don't think it would matter what you would wear on your feet but if you run/walk a lot further than you're used to you will eventually pick up a blister. I hadn't been running for over a month (possibly nearer 2) and I believe that if I'd been wearing normal socks it could have ended up a lot worse. A lot of runners use vaseline to stop things like that, but also wear running socks.

I have just done a 10k outside....!!! Silverstone here I come!!!!!!

rachel1984 said:
I don't think it would matter what you would wear on your feet but if you run/walk a lot further than you're used to you will eventually pick up a blister. I hadn't been running for over a month (possibly nearer 2) and I believe that if I'd been wearing normal socks it could have ended up a lot worse. A lot of runners use vaseline to stop things like that, but also wear running socks.
Ah that makes sense.
Shazzabir said:
I have just done a 10k outside....!!! Silverstone here I come!!!!!!
Woohoo!!!! Yay :)

parfittaroles said:
Didn't manage the 6miles I intended on doing, but done 7km which is better than nothing!!

Yes that is still a good run :)

coachnomad said:
That's great. I'm struggling with motivation again today!!

And me! I quit my job today tho, and don't start my new one til feb 6th, so got 2 weeks to try and claw it all back!! Watch this space.....

Come on Coach & Welshtigger we only have 49 days til race day!!!!! :)

What job are you starting Welshtigger?

Shazzabir said:
Come on Coach & Welshtigger we only have 49 days til race day!!!!! :)

What job are you starting Welshtigger?

I did say a while back that I didn't know if I'd be doing Silverstone after all-will see what happens over the next week or so! I'm starting a new care job with a proper agency this time not a cowboy outfit who don't know how to treat people properly!!!

Back