Half marathon training

My run is a week on Sunday (21st October). I was planning on doing 7 miles this Sunday, then just a few 2 - 3 milers during the course of next week. My last run will be on the Thursday, so will have Friday and Saturday as total rest days before the HM.

thanks, mines a sunday too so ill make thursday my last run. do you run a longer normal distance or a shorter run?
you can tell im a newbie!!

thanks, mines a sunday too so ill make thursday my last run. do you run a longer normal distance or a shorter run?
you can tell im a newbie!!

I'm a newbie too, so kind of making it up as I go along! My training has been thrown a bit this week as I've not been well, so I've tweaked it slightly to do a longer run tomorrow - 10 miles, then just the short ones on Tuesday and Thursday.

Morning all,

Can I ask a favour please, can you share with me your tips or routine for warm up and cool downs?
Now that I'm getting up to the 3mile so half way mark I feel it's time to look into this as its my weak area, at the moment I try to gradually up the speed on the treadmill for my warm up but for cool down I lower to a speed walk for a few mins and get off and do some stretches, not many I might add!

well its 2 weeks today, on train home last night recongised the conductor and we got chatting about the marathons, hes doing the full marathon! hes hoping to do the full in the same time as im wanting to do the half :p 3 hours or less!! he can do 20 miles in just less than 2 hours though, he is very fast.
(didnt have to pay for my train ticket either ha)

Morning all,

Can I ask a favour please, can you share with me your tips or routine for warm up and cool downs?
Now that I'm getting up to the 3mile so half way mark I feel it's time to look into this as its my weak area, at the moment I try to gradually up the speed on the treadmill for my warm up but for cool down I lower to a speed walk for a few mins and get off and do some stretches, not many I might add!

I probably don't do enough warm up and cool down to be honest. I walk for about 5 minutes before the start of each run, and again at the end of each run, then I also do about 10 minutes of stretching at the end. Mainly just the usual leg exercises (no idea what any of them are called), but calf and hamstring etc stretches. If you look on YouTube i'm sure there will be lots of stretching exercise examples, which might give inspiration.

I'm panicking a bit now as my run is 1 week today - eek!!

Ran 6 miles in 1hr 3mins this morning. Was absolutely freezing tho, took half an hour running to warm up. Need to get myself some gloves and a hat! Soooooooo cold but not a bad time for me :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Jenny (and anyone else who does SW)

Do you use energy gels? If so, how do you count them for SW purposes? I have started to use them for my HM training, and to be honest have just been ignoring them and not syning them or anything. But I'm guessing you are probably meant to count them as syns!

I don't use any, are they energy things? Recently saw a program about energy drinks, do they work etc. An Olympian runner just recommended a jam sandwich and banana before the run for slow and long release energy!

No help sorry! But, I wouldn't syn them as you're probably burning it off as you run! :)

Yep they are energy things, in little satchets, some you have to have with water. I was expecting to take one and then suddenly have a surge of really fast running, but that hasn't exactly happened!!

I saw that programme too, the one on BBC a few weeks ago? I am not at all convinced that all the gels, drinks etc do work to be honest, but thought I would give them a go, at least until post HM!

I do use energy gels when I run over 8 miles. I do find a little boost, think its more to do with the hydration side more than an energy shot. I also eat jelly beans. Energy drinks are helpful when I am struggling to drink more water, I can always drink an energy drink. Races normally have these on route in between water stations.
I saw the Tv programme too, certainly made me think.

I take lucozade on runs over about 6 miles but don't drink much of it. I have that purely because I sweat so much so need to replace the electrolytes.

Ok, do you hold your water/energy drinks or have you got a tummy pack thing? I've got a running bottle but it's a bit crappy! :)

i hold mine :)

Well ladies I was meant to run 2 miles tonight and i was all geared up after Sat's run but in true running style it was a crap run! Got to about a mile, think I wanted to beat my time too badly and I was wrecked! Slowed right down and power walked through the pain but it helped get my breath back. I started to run fast in minute blocks and I can't believe it, I ended up beating my best by over a minute again! At 1.2 miles I nearly jacked it all in, must remember this run!!!!

That's great Lucy!! :)

Ok, do you hold your water/energy drinks or have you got a tummy pack thing? I've got a running bottle but it's a bit crappy! :)

I hold mine - I've got one of those bottles that you put your hand through the middle.

I've heard a lot of people say they eat jelly beans - I might give that a go!

Back