Ham Sandwiches

Hi Chaps,

I have been vegetarian for over 20 years now and apart from an occasional deviation (usually accidental - my mother-in-law uses lard in her baking and I was oblivious to what lard was for years!) during that time I have never knowingly eaten meat.

Well having been on a VCLD since last April I have developed an overwhelming urge to eat ham sandwiches!! - ham sandwiches with mustard on - I never eat mustard either.

This started about 2 weeks ago when I was making sandwiches for members of my family and it was all I could do to resist. This urge has continued almost every day since then and I am currently 'fighting' the good fight!! i.e there is ham in the fridge.

For the first 14 weeks I craved sausages and flaming hot monster munch - mind you I have always liked both of these. However now you have brought it up although I don't generally eat them either I do quite fancy the sound of a ham and mustard sandwich :p........... All in good time ;).

While I haven't given in I have noticed little flaws in my defences i.e. I am very choosy about the ham I buy - those indoors like a little fat on theirs and I would usually take account of this when buying the meat but since developing my little interest I have stopped buying fatty stuff and only buy the leanest. I have also started buying my favourite bread again (lovely nutty, brown granary) whereas before I would buy the mass produced stuff that they prefer!!!!!!! Isn't that the oddest thing?!!

It sounds like you are making positive changes to the foods you are buying for them - if you can get your family to like/prefer healthier options like brown bread and lean meats surely that can only be a good thing both for them, and for you when you are done with CD and maintaining :p

Alongside this I have also developed an amazing sweet tooth. Before doing the VCLD I would never opt to have pudding after dinner whereas now I am more obsessed with the desserts and puddings people choose after dinner than anything else - I even find myself trying to influence people in terms of what they choose!!!

Since I started CD 4 months ago I have found that when there is food present that is tempting me I find myself encouraging my OH to have it - I think this is partly because if he eats it then it will be gone and no longer present to tempt me, but I think there might be a degree of passive pleasure watching him watch the thing I won't have!! However OH has now decided to make an effort to lose a few extra pounds (a few of those probably put on through my encouragement :eek:) so I am making a concerted effort not to encourage him to indulge in either his cravings or mine;).

This sweet tooth is also reflected in the fact that most of the packs I buy are sweet as opposed to savoury!!! Is this my body craving food that it needs or am I going mad?! :eek: Or does it mean that when I finish this VCLD am I going to turn into a rib-crunching, cheesecake munching mess?

I would not let this worry you too much at this stage - I only ever have shakes and bars purely because I don't like the any of the soup flavours. I had 3 days off CD last weekend for a big family wedding (back on SS since monday :D), I spent a period before going away working up through the plans with a couple of days on each step to try and minimise any gain as I had decided a long time ago I was going to allow myself to eat freely :character00254:for the days we were away. Despite indulging myself with foods I thought I would enjoy the most like bbq, cooked breakfast, chips, cake and really special restaurant puddings etc the food I enjoyed the most was steamed runner beans :giggle:.

I hope the ham has remained untouched FP - and Red 42 - your comment about not being allowed to do the shopping for the rest of the family anymore has made me chuckle :).

Ham still intact but .................

... I have been feeling extremely drawn to those lovely Cambridge bars in the freezer today!! I think I'm going to limit the number I buy this week as I feel a gorge-fest coming on.

I am definitely going through a funny-phase at the moment. I am totally out of sorts and I am beginning to wonder if I am heading for menopause or something. No evidence to support this little theory at this stage but I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not myself it has to be due to something or other.

Back