~~ Hana's Diary! ~~

Hana-

I'm Hana :) 19, 5'11 and from the UK and I currently weigh 194.6lb (BMI 27.1). I've always struggled with wanting to lose weight and everything seems to be so chaotic for me. I'll lose a bunch of weight and then end up gaining it all back again just as quickly and feel horrible. Really hoping that creating a diary and sharing my thoughts with people will help keep me focused!

I live with my parents at the moment so the level of control I have over what I get to eat is sometimes limited :( It's incredibly frustrating but I'm going to make it work. I'll probably record what I eat daily and any thoughts I have along with my changes in weight and/or BMI I guess. Never done anything like this before so I'll see how it goes!

Welcome Hana and good luck on your weight loss journey!

Hello Hanna!
Its lovely to meet you and I hope you are successful on your journey. Are you following a specific diet plan or just tailoring healthy eating to your life? xx

Thanks! I'm not really following any specific diet but I'm going to be counting my calories and tracking what I eat as part of things.

First day felt pretty good :) Was eating with my parents this evening and I had no idea what it would be so I sort of held off on eating too many things before then.

Lunch:
Coffee with 1% milk and sweetener (34)

Dinner:
Lemon chicken burger (165) with bread (130), light mayonnaise (19) and avocado (59)
Grilled chicken breast (90)
Mixed leaf and carrot salad (23)

Good luck with your weight loss Hana :) Counting calories and doing it the slow and steady way is probably best to make sure it doesn't all come back again at the end. The body needs a year or two of maintenance at weight loss goal to adjust itself to the new weight to remain stable (for a while it freaks out and WANTS to regain as it thinks there's something wrong), so it's quite a long process, but totally doable! :D

Good luck with your weight loss Hana :) Counting calories and doing it the slow and steady way is probably best to make sure it doesn't all come back again at the end. The body needs a year or two of maintenance at weight loss goal to adjust itself to the new weight to remain stable (for a while it freaks out and WANTS to regain as it thinks there's something wrong), so it's quite a long process, but totally doable! :D

Thanks! Wow that's so much longer than I thought. That's probably where I always mess up then and put a ton of weight straight back on :oops:

Yeah, the body seems to need at least a year to adjust after a calorie deficit diet in order to maintain. There was a study (I will link below) which explains it in a little more depth. You are not obese and are actually pretty much a healthy weight, but the science would still apply. I have had the experience of being BMI 45 and dieting down to BMI 18 through a VLCD; then regaining weight (I guess the body freakout stage), but lost that weight again to settle at BMI 30 or so. I then maintained this for over 2 years and there was no more yearning for food and it remained surprisingly stable. The body does recalibrate itself, but it can take a little while. :)

http://healthsciences.ku.dk/news/new-2016/new-research-obese-people-can-maintain-stable-weight-loss/

Yeah, the body seems to need at least a year to adjust after a calorie deficit diet in order to maintain. There was a study (I will link below) which explains it in a little more depth. You are not obese and are actually pretty much a healthy weight, but the science would still apply. I have had the experience of being BMI 45 and dieting down to BMI 18 through a VLCD; then regaining weight (I guess the body freakout stage), but lost that weight again to settle at BMI 30 or so. I then maintained this for over 2 years and there was no more yearning for food and it remained surprisingly stable. The body does recalibrate itself, but it can take a little while. :)

http://healthsciences.ku.dk/news/new-2016/new-research-obese-people-can-maintain-stable-weight-loss/

That's really interesting thank you :) I love learning more about stuff like that. So once I get to the weight I need to be at I need to be really careful about maintaining for quite a long time? :eek:

I went shopping with my Dad today and we got some pretty good things :) Lots of vegetables and some chicken and tuna. I'm away on holiday the next week but I'm feeling pretty good about this week now :)

Breakfast:
Apple (55)
Tea with sweetener and 1% milk (19)

Lunch:
Tuna (127) with chilli hot sauce (3) and peas (24)

Dinner:
Seeded tortilla wrap (186) with grilled chicken (110) and lettuce, tomatoes, chillies (30) and light mayonnaise (58).
Werther's sweets (47)
Diet Coke (1)

Hi Hana, welcome to the forum, it really does help to keep track of what you are eating, and also your feelings and thoughts on it all. Like you I keep losing weight and regaining it...I've been doing it a lot longer than you though lol, I'm old enough to be your nanna and still making the same mistakes, not a good role model but I keep on going! :) I'm sure your parents will be supportive of your efforts to lose weight, although as Minerva said you are only a small amount overweight and would really only need to probably cut out any junk and just eat healthily to get to where you want to be. Good luck anyway, and have a nice holiday x

You seem to be going swimmingly Hannah! Hope you have a nice holiday honey xx

Thankyou!! I'm feeling really good about things so far :)

Hi Hana, welcome to the forum, it really does help to keep track of what you are eating, and also your feelings and thoughts on it all. Like you I keep losing weight and regaining it...I've been doing it a lot longer than you though lol, I'm old enough to be your nanna and still making the same mistakes, not a good role model but I keep on going! :) I'm sure your parents will be supportive of your efforts to lose weight, although as Minerva said you are only a small amount overweight and would really only need to probably cut out any junk and just eat healthily to get to where you want to be. Good luck anyway, and have a nice holiday x

Thankyou :) Yeah I've kept personal logs of what I've eaten before and I always really enjoy doing it and keeping track of all the numbers and how my weight changes, this is my first time to ever share my thoughts and feelings and do it alongside other people and as a group though!

I spent the whole day out today with my Dad making sure we got various things for next week :) We ended up having McDonald's for lunch which wasn't so great and I'm pretty sure I got a regular coke by accident :( It was a great day though and much more walking than I usually do just walking my dog each morning so yay :) Gonna weigh myself tomorrow too, first thing in the morning so I'm the lightest possible :D

Breakfast:
Strawberries (46)

Lunch:
McDonald's chicken nuggets happy meal (403)
Small coke (120)

Dinner:
Mixed leaf salad with sweetcorn, tomatoes, carrots and cucumber (34)
Grilled mushrooms (11)
Salad dressing (15)
Beef burger (211)

Weighed myself today! 86.8kg and 26.5 BMI :)

Breakfast:
Strawberries (39).

Lunch:
Mixed leaf salad with tomatoes and cucumber (17)
Salad dressing (10)

Dinner:
Mushroom, red chilli and cheese pizza (491)

Chewing gum (13)
Raspberries (10)

Wow, under 500kcal for a pizza is pretty good! :) What kind of pizza was it?

Thankyou! :) It was premade pizza base and I just made up the sauce and toppings myself with some tinned tomatoes and onion and herbs :) It wasn't huge but it was definitely enough and really tasty

Thankyou! :) It was premade pizza base and I just made up the sauce and toppings myself with some tinned tomatoes and onion and herbs :) It wasn't huge but it was definitely enough and really tasty

Was the base just from a supermarket? I've never considered buying just a base before as I always assumed it would be much higher calories so generally just avoid pizza when I'm dieting (even though it's one of my fave foods :( )

Was the base just from a supermarket? I've never considered buying just a base before as I always assumed it would be much higher calories so generally just avoid pizza when I'm dieting (even though it's one of my fave foods :( )

The one I had was around 300 I think but it wasn't a full size one so you'd have to check :) I generally prefer slightly less cheese than you normally get on the frozen ones so it's perfect for me and that will cut down a lot of the calories. I've honestly got no idea if making the dough yourself completely would be more or less?

Definitely doable though you should check out how doable it is for you! Pizza is amazing!

For a 19 year old or for anyone come to that you are not eating enough.600 calories is half what you should be eating and your body will shut down.
To do a VLCD it needs to be done properly under supervising.

Back