Harriet's Food Diary - looking for tips on low syn meals and snacks

or chicken chow mein is 6.5 syns per portion or get some stir fry veg i think is something like 5 syns then cook your own egg noodles or rice to go with

The honey chilli chicken sounds great, where did you find the recipe? Also is there a low syn recipe for pizza??? Because if there is I NEED it in my life lol.....

Last night I ended up having chicken breast wrapped in bacon with free BBQ sauce, some melted cheese (Healthy Extra) and some free chips and beans which was really nice and didnt feel like a 'diet' meal! I am heading to asda this afternoon to stock up on essentials, fresh veg and stuff, and I am going to be looking for something nice for tea tonight. Im going to take a flick through my 'Free Branded Foods' before I go see if anything takes my fancy.

I'm going to look for a chicken satay recipe and see if they can be made free as I love them so much.

Hope you enjoy your 'takeaway' tonight :) xx

This is quite a good pizza recipe, or you could miss out the base where all the syns are and use smash instead to make a base, i will give you smash recipe too. Another way to do a free pizza is use your HexB bread and top that like a pizza or use a large turkey breast and have that as your base.

Veggie Pizza - 5 syns

2 open cap mushroms
1 courgette
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 small onion
4 tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
Fry Light
142ml/¼pt passata
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
113g/4oz pizza base mix
sweetcorn

1. Prepare the topping ingredients; thickly slice the mushrooms and courgette; deseed and roughly chop the peppers; slice the onion; finely chop the tomatoes, sprinkle in the sweetcorn and crush the garlic.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Place the mushrooms, courgette, onion and peppers on a baking sheet, spray with Fry Light and roast for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, garlic, passata and vinegar in a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. Then allow to cool.
4. Add 5 tablespoons warm water to the pizza base mix and knead for 5 minutes. Then place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for 25 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. Knead on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to approximately 32cm/13ins x 25cm/10ins and place on a baking sheet. Make a 1cm/½in rim around the edge by pressing into the dough with your fingers.
5. Spread the tomato sauce over the base, arrange the vegetables on top, spray with Fry Light and bake for 10 minutes until the pizza base is cooked. Serve immediately.

The smash base recipe :

(For 1 pizza)

Base
50g smash
sprinkling mixed herbs
small clove garlic, crushed
seasoning

MIX THE MASH POWDER WITH THE SALT AND WATER AND MOULD TO A DOUGH. FLATTEN OUT INTO CIRCLES ABOUT 3/4CM-1CM THICK. LINE A BAKING TRY WITH GREASEPROOF AND SPRAY WITH FRYLITE AND PUT THE MASH CICLES ON. COOK FOR 15 MINS EACH SIDE AT ABOUT 190O. THEN ADD SAUCE, TOPPINGS AND CHEESE AND COOK FOR UNTIL THEY LOOK DONE.

Hope that helps with the pizza side of things!

The honey chilli chicken is still a work in progress, still trying to perfect the ingredients but heres a snapshot:

Honey Chilli Chicken

4 chicken breasts
sweet chilli dipping sauce 2 tbsp(3 syns)
runny honey 2 tbsp (2 syns)
garlic 2 small cloves
light soy sauce

choice of oriental veg (i used baby corn, red pepper & chilli)

1. chop chicken into small chunks, marinade with garlic, soy sauce, sweet chilli & honey 20 mins to overnight , i do overnight but 20 mins does fine.
2. fry chicken in frylight , once cooked add veg and cook 5 more mins

serve with rice or noodles

i will post a pic of it for you tonight when i plate up. like i say work in progress so will no doubt be adapted

Happy shopping xxxxx

The finished result of the honey chilli chicken. Had it with 'fried' noodles, sooooo good! xxxx

DSCF3312.jpg

This is quite a good pizza recipe, or you could miss out the base where all the syns are and use smash instead to make a base, i will give you smash recipe too. Another way to do a free pizza is use your HexB bread and top that like a pizza or use a large turkey breast and have that as your base.

Veggie Pizza - 5 syns

2 open cap mushroms
1 courgette
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 small onion
4 tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
Fry Light
142ml/¼pt passata
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
113g/4oz pizza base mix
sweetcorn

1. Prepare the topping ingredients; thickly slice the mushrooms and courgette; deseed and roughly chop the peppers; slice the onion; finely chop the tomatoes, sprinkle in the sweetcorn and crush the garlic.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Place the mushrooms, courgette, onion and peppers on a baking sheet, spray with Fry Light and roast for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the tomatoes, garlic, passata and vinegar in a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until thickened. Then allow to cool.
4. Add 5 tablespoons warm water to the pizza base mix and knead for 5 minutes. Then place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place for 25 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. Knead on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to approximately 32cm/13ins x 25cm/10ins and place on a baking sheet. Make a 1cm/½in rim around the edge by pressing into the dough with your fingers.
5. Spread the tomato sauce over the base, arrange the vegetables on top, spray with Fry Light and bake for 10 minutes until the pizza base is cooked. Serve immediately.

The smash base recipe :

(For 1 pizza)

Base
50g smash
sprinkling mixed herbs
small clove garlic, crushed
seasoning

MIX THE MASH POWDER WITH THE SALT AND WATER AND MOULD TO A DOUGH. FLATTEN OUT INTO CIRCLES ABOUT 3/4CM-1CM THICK. LINE A BAKING TRY WITH GREASEPROOF AND SPRAY WITH FRYLITE AND PUT THE MASH CICLES ON. COOK FOR 15 MINS EACH SIDE AT ABOUT 190O. THEN ADD SAUCE, TOPPINGS AND CHEESE AND COOK FOR UNTIL THEY LOOK DONE.

Hope that helps with the pizza side of things!

The honey chilli chicken is still a work in progress, still trying to perfect the ingredients but heres a snapshot:

Honey Chilli Chicken

4 chicken breasts
sweet chilli dipping sauce 2 tbsp(3 syns)
runny honey 2 tbsp (2 syns)
garlic 2 small cloves
light soy sauce

choice of oriental veg (i used baby corn, red pepper & chilli)

1. chop chicken into small chunks, marinade with garlic, soy sauce, sweet chilli & honey 20 mins to overnight , i do overnight but 20 mins does fine.
2. fry chicken in frylight , once cooked add veg and cook 5 more mins

serve with rice or noodles

i will post a pic of it for you tonight when i plate up. like i say work in progress so will no doubt be adapted

Happy shopping xxxxx

Wow thank you so much for this I will defo be trying these out!! I'm really excited to try out the smash recipe!! I'll let you know how I get on!! Thanks again this is great! Xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com mobile app

Tonight's dinner was coronation rice with chicken and prawn skewers.

The skewers I bought from asda, chicken I believe to be free and prawn about half a syn each.

I made the coronation rice myself, I used, rice, mixed dried fruit (about 2 syns for the amount I used), curry powder and some sweetener and boiled. While this was boiling, I mixed some quark with curry powder and sweetener. Once cooked I allowing the rice to cool before mixing the quark mixture through. It was bloody gorgeous and felt like a really nice treat!

I've been to asda to stock up for next week so I'm ready for another good week.

Tomorrow I am going for drinks with the girls and I will work out how many syns I am allowing myself in the morning :) xxx

Hi chick a dee, how are you getting on? xxx

Hey I was doing so well up until sunday and yesterday!! I went out with the girls on Sunday and consumed way too many syns, and then yesterday because I was hungover I ate things I shouldn't of. But I'm back on track today!!

I have a question about the pizza base, I made some but not for pizza and just had ham and quark on them, are they still free? And also I got a bit excited and made some sweet ones (smash, sweetener, raisins) r they free?

I'm just about to have my breakfast of an omelette and I'll be staying on track!! How about u how r u getting on? Xx

Hey I was doing so well up until sunday and yesterday!! I went out with the girls on Sunday and consumed way too many syns, and then yesterday because I was hungover I ate things I shouldn't of. But I'm back on track today!!

I have a question about the pizza base, I made some but not for pizza and just had ham and quark on them, are they still free? And also I got a bit excited and made some sweet ones (smash, sweetener, raisins) r they free?

I'm just about to have my breakfast of an omelette and I'll be staying on track!! How about u how r u getting on? Xx

Sounds fab hun, yes thats all free as long as the quark wasn't flavoured ie lemon or vanilla as they contain a couple syns but the plain ones are totally free chick, oh and the sweet one that sounds yum, was it good? xxxx

Last edited:
Harriet That coronation rice sounds good. Will try that next week after shopping

Harriet That coronation rice sounds good. Will try that next week after shopping

It was so so nice!! I really enjoyed it!! Xx

Sounds fab hun, yes thats all free as long as the quark wasn't flavoured ie lemon or vanilla as they contain a couple syns but the plain ones are totally free chick, oh and the sweet one that sounds yum, was it good? xxxx

Yes sweet ones were good, you have to eat them the day you make them though, but even my husband liked them. Xx

Breakfast today got changed to 2 x potato cakes, ham, mushrooms, egg and some quark. It was really nice and mad a change from omelette. For lunch I had an Asda Good for You Chow Mein noodle pot which I believe is free, I mixed a chopped a chicken breast and put that through it. I also ad two potato cakes which I melted a chopped babybel on top of them and an Alpen bar. I've had a Turkish delight muller light for a snack. Having a pretty crappy day with the ME so just having a simple dinner of chicken veg and rice.

How's everyone else getting on. Xx

Breakfast today got changed to 2 x potato cakes, ham, mushrooms, egg and some quark. It was really nice and mad a change from omelette. For lunch I had an Asda Good for You Chow Mein noodle pot which I believe is free, I mixed a chopped a chicken breast and put that through it. I also ad two potato cakes which I melted a chopped babybel on top of them and an Alpen bar. I've had a Turkish delight muller light for a snack. Having a pretty crappy day with the ME so just having a simple dinner of chicken veg and rice.

How's everyone else getting on. Xx

hi hun sorry your not having a good day with the ME :bighug: you are doing really well food wise though! I have had a good on plan day today so hoping for another tomorrow! I made the sw chicken curry tonight and it was lovely, bit of time to make but def worth it xxx

Much better day ME wise today so was able to be a lot more active and get a lot more done around the house.

Breakfast:
Mushroom and Bacon Omelette (fat trimmed)
1 tsp BBQ sauce (1.5s)

Lunch:
McCains Jacket Potato (1s)
1 tsp Lurpack Lightest (1.5s)
Asda Good for You Cottage Cheese
1sp BBQ sauce (1.5s)

Dinner
2 x Pork Loin
big pile of asparagus
big pile of mixed veg (sweetcorn, carrot, broccoli)
BBQ sauce (1.5s)
Lurpack Lightest (1.5s)

Total syns so far today: 8.5
Healthy extras: 3 x babybel 2 x cereal bars
Snacks: Free mullur light yogs

I still haven't had my second cereal bar and babybel so they will be my snacks for tonight if I get hungry!

First Weigh In! I know its 2 days late but I have lost 4 pounds since starting slimming world again, but as I am a couple of days into the second week I am going to say 3lb loss for first week which makes me very happy! :character00100:

My goal for this week is to lose 2lb :)

Much better day ME wise today so was able to be a lot more active and get a lot more done around the house.

Breakfast:
Mushroom and Bacon Omelette (fat trimmed)
1 tsp BBQ sauce (1.5s)

Lunch:
McCains Jacket Potato (1s)
1 tsp Lurpack Lightest (1.5s)
Asda Good for You Cottage Cheese
1sp BBQ sauce (1.5s)

Dinner
2 x Pork Loin
big pile of asparagus
big pile of mixed veg (sweetcorn, carrot, broccoli)
BBQ sauce (1.5s)
Lurpack Lightest (1.5s)

Total syns so far today: 8.5
Healthy extras: 3 x babybel 2 x cereal bars
Snacks: Free mullur light yogs

I still haven't had my second cereal bar and babybel so they will be my snacks for tonight if I get hungry!

First Weigh In! I know its 2 days late but I have lost 4 pounds since starting slimming world again, but as I am a couple of days into the second week I am going to say 3lb loss for first week which makes me very happy! :character00100:

My goal for this week is to lose 2lb :)

WooHoo!:happy096: congrats on the 4lbs well done! Sounds like a good food day hun. glad your ME isn't bothering you as much today xxxx

Well I've had a really crappy day, things going on in life that I could do without, and I know I shouldn't and I should stay strong, but I've ordered a chinese and opened a bottle of pinot, tonight I am chilling out and relaxing, and I will get back on the plan tomorrow. I'd rather give myself some extra syns and treat myself to a nice meal than splurge on chocolate and crisps!

Bad I know but hey ho that's how I feel today!! x

Well I've had a really crappy day, things going on in life that I could do without, and I know I shouldn't and I should stay strong, but I've ordered a chinese and opened a bottle of pinot, tonight I am chilling out and relaxing, and I will get back on the plan tomorrow. I'd rather give myself some extra syns and treat myself to a nice meal than splurge on chocolate and crisps!

Bad I know but hey ho that's how I feel today!! x

Sorry to hear that hun! hope you ok xxxx

Harriet, could I trouble you for the quantity of rice and quarl you used on Coronation rice please.

Back