Has anyone else been sterilised?

moomintrolljen

Will be thin god dammit!!
I was sterilised in november last year and have been having really unpredictable periods ever since, wondered if it really messed anyone elses?
I had been on the contraceptive pill before that for 4 years with no periods and so its all a bit new again!

*warning, this post may contain TOO MUCH INFORMATION*

I havent but my mum was, and she had horrendous periods afterwards. Really clotty, very heavy and more prolonged than before. I know this because she would insist on showing me.

And people wonder why I am a screw up...

Hmmm - I'm due to be sterilised in October - my docs have advised that a 3rd pregnancy would be unwise so it seems simplest to get sterilised during the Caesar I'll be having then. I've not been told about excessive periods so I will definitely be asking about this at my next check-up - thanks for the heads-up!
x

Island, I considered doing that, but my hospital advised against it because sterilisation is generally not quite as successful after c-section, due to the organs being out of shape and overloaded due to the pregnancy. They would have done it if I had insisted on it, but I went for the coil instead because they really didnt think the chances of it working properly were as good as if I had returned later for the procedure.

You might want to ask about that too at your next appt. Different hospitals may have different policies but its best to check up.

That's interesting as I was told the complete opposite - my obstetrician said that just after delivery is the perfect time to do tubal ligation because of the position of womb etc at that point! I am seeing him on Monday so will definitely make further enquiries then and also do a bit of internet research before then. He's an excellent ob though!

I can't have the coil as I have very heavy periods. I don't want to spend years and years on the pill if I know I've finished with pregnancies and I'm scared of the implants as my sister reacted incredibly badly to them - so sterilisation seems a good answer, especially as future pregnancies are considered dangerous for me so I want something sure. Are you still considering it for the future?

Not sure, think I might get the OH to get snippered. Its far less invasive and risky. He would be happy enough to have it done.

Shame you cant have the coil, I have had the Mirena since the birth of my youngest and its been great, not a * week in sight for 4 years!

Mt hubby was too much of a wuss to get the snip = 3 kids enough for us though!

Mt hubby was too much of a wuss to get the snip = 3 kids enough for us though!

My hubby was willing to discuss it - looked absolutely terrified though!!! But when I was told it could be done during my Caesar it seemed to make sense for it to be me sterilised rather than him - as I'll be under general anaesthetic anyway, (I'm too high risk for an epidural) and so no extra anaesthetic, no extra scars and I'm told and believe that any extra healing pain is totally not-noticeable compared to the huge pain of the C-scar healing.

But if it's not done during the Caesar, then it's back to discussion as then there's no particular reason for it to be me rather than him! He won't be happy! :8855:

We'd have liked 3 kids but it's not to be. First pregnancy was a total nightmare and this one isn't great so I'm not going to ignore the medical advice. We're lucky enough to have one gorgeous son already and hopefully another babba come October and that's a lot more than some people get. :)

My hubby was willing to discuss it - looked absolutely terrified though!!! But when I was told it could be done during my Caesar it seemed to make sense for it to be me sterilised rather than him - as I'll be under general anaesthetic anyway, (I'm too high risk for an epidural) and so no extra anaesthetic, no extra scars and I'm told and believe that any extra healing pain is totally not-noticeable compared to the huge pain of the C-scar healing.

But if it's not done during the Caesar, then it's back to discussion as then there's no particular reason for it to be me rather than him! He won't be happy! :8855:

We'd have liked 3 kids but it's not to be. First pregnancy was a total nightmare and this one isn't great so I'm not going to ignore the medical advice. We're lucky enough to have one gorgeous son already and hopefully another babba come October and that's a lot more than some people get. :)

Very true - your already blessed xx

I just love the way men's whole bodies seize up when you mention the snip. They don't just cross their legs - every muscle seems to freeze and you can see pure fear in their eyes!!

But its perfectly acceptable to allow their nearest and dearest to voluntarily undergo major surgery for the same outcome! They really ARE overprotective of their manparts. It must be some neanderthalic instinct or something.

My hubby had to donate blood to me during my first Caesar as we share the same blood group and I needed a transfusion and to hear him, you'd have thought that giving blood was equivalent to the C-section! I wasn't amused and a harsh reality check was administered!

The snip - it's like their whole identity is at stake. I don't really get it, I don't feel that sterilisation will make me any less female.

I got sterilised after I had my 2nd C section and it's been fine, periods were just the same as before. I think its better than taking the pill as you are less crabbit

I got sterelized after my 3rd child (same time as C-sec) and periods haven't really changed, although hubby says I'm MORE of a B**ch now than I was before LOL

Originally hubby was going to get snipped, this was after my 2nd daughter was born.... he went to see the dr, who put him on a waiting list and 5 months later I was pregnant again!! Before he even got seen... SOOOO It had to be me that got it done, otherwise I'd probably have another 2 kids by now LOL (I had 3 in 2½ years and youngest is 2.5 now)

I got sterelized after my 3rd child (same time as C-sec) and periods haven't really changed, although hubby says I'm MORE of a B**ch now than I was before LOL

Originally hubby was going to get snipped, this was after my 2nd daughter was born.... he went to see the dr, who put him on a waiting list and 5 months later I was pregnant again!! Before he even got seen... SOOOO It had to be me that got it done, otherwise I'd probably have another 2 kids by now LOL (I had 3 in 2½ years and youngest is 2.5 now)

Similar for me hun, i had my middle son and 3 months later was pregnant agin with my daughter!

I've never had any contraception failures but I assume my fertility is good as it only took me 2 weeks to conceive DS and 5 weeks to conceive this pregnancy so now that I know it's my last, a more permanent method seems sensible.

Saw my obstetrician today and I'm totally happy with having it done during the Caesar. I have a lot of faith in him as he got both of us safely through a dangerous pregnancy last time. Also, having googled the NHS guidelines, it seems that the failure rate has only the slightest variation and that most of their concerns are about you changing your mind if you make the decision during pregnancy. We won't be changing our minds, more children just aren't safe for us and I can't face this a third time so it's a decision that's been thought about over a long time. I also feel there is an advantage to only undergoing one op and anaesthetic rather than 2 - after all, there's always some risk with anaesthesia and any op.

I think my hubby finds me during pregnancy a gazillion times worse than even my worse PMT so I doubt he'll be complaining even if I am a bit stroppy!

Back