Has anyone ever done Body Pump and still lost weight?

koolstar

Hi all
I'm thinking of joining a body pump class to try and shift some more weight. The only thing that bothers me is that with the exericse class being based around weights that I might not lose any weight. Was just wondering if anyone has actually done Body Pump and still lost?

I haven't actually done Body Pump, but I know roughly what it involves, and I think I'm certain that as long as you are still in calorie-deficit (100% on plan), it will be impossible for you to gain weight.

You can really only gain weight (including muscle) if you eat more calories than you burn off in a day, so while the exercise will strengthen your muscles, it should help you to lose weight.

As Scanbran has said, you'll still lose weight if you're sticking to your eating plan. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, it's just harder to put muscle on! Your muscles could retain water at first but that'll pass and you'll lose your weight, and lose inches to boot. Take your measurements before you start going to class, and then maybe take them every few weeks. You'll be amazed at what weights workouts can do for your measurements!

I do body pump 1 - 2 times a week, and it is the best toning exercise EVER! my shoulders are rock hard now! Plus you continue burning calories up to 36 hours AFTER the class! Would highly recommend.

Thanks for the replies will be definately going to a body pump class now!! Really need to tone up, been doing body balance for the last 12 months which has helped but need more now!

I do 2 BP classes a week and have been doing so for about 6 weeks now. Am firming up very nicely and still losing weight well. It is a great class.

I've never heard of it, but it sounds very interesting. How much does it cost?

Body Pump is AMAZING. I haven't been for a couple of weeks, but when I started I noticed my legs went from chubby to AMAZINGLY toned withing about 8-10 sessions - to the point that I didn't recognice them when I caught the reflection on windows! lol THAT extreme. I'm wearing skirts and shorts with pride (and great legs), despite still being a size 16/18.
I did want to sort out my bingo wings, and they're still there...! lol

Do you have to get down on the floor at any point during body pump? Just asking because I went to Boxercise last night and it was more like circuits, after 5 minutes of doing 5x1min bursts, I was finding it increasingly difficult to get up, I was so tired!

It was too much for someone so unfit, so I'm wondering if BP would be the same....if I can stay on my feet then great!

I did want to sort out my bingo wings, and they're still there...! lol

I had an old gym programme to sort that out, you've got to hold the weights down vertically then keeping your elbows tucked in, raise to your waist and keep doing that.

Great about your legs - I want that!!

Do you have to get down on the floor at any point during body pump? Just asking because I went to Boxercise last night and it was more like circuits, after 5 minutes of doing 5x1min bursts, I was finding it increasingly difficult to get up, I was so tired!

It was too much for someone so unfit, so I'm wondering if BP would be the same....if I can stay on my feet then great!

You do a mixture - there are tracks for warm up, squats, chest, back and hamstring, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs and cooldown.

For the chest, triceps, some of shoulders and abs you have to lie down on the bench - the rest are all stood up.

Hope this helps!

Hi I do body attack & body combat I am toning I'm all the right area's at last.
I did body pump once but struggled with the weights lol x

Most of it's standing, other than benchwork, but you get to shake it out and stand up leisurely. And towards the end there's a bit on the floor, but, again, you can do it at your own pace, and there's no hurry to get back up, there's a pause before the next set(s) x

body pump is great for toning, but it doesnt get your heart rate up into the fat burning zone, so it wont burn fat in the same way that a cardio class will , excellent for toning though and as tough as you want to make it.

Only echo what everyone else has said.

Fab class I do it sometimes 4 times a week. I have toned up in it, and you can lose weight. It does some fat burning, especially if you get an instructor who does not give you much time to stand around and chat between each track, so it will get the heart pumping but not completely like a CV class would.

I can lift fairly heavy weights for a girl! But I use no weights on the squat and lunge track as I build muscle up on my thighs more this way. I just do these tracks with no weights and it has made a huge difference.

Go for it - you may not be able to sit down for the following day but it is worth it in the end. First time I done it, the next day at work I used to prop myself up against the filing cabinet because it hurt too much to sit down!

Oh yeah, good point! lol I forgot how sore it was after the first couple of sessions :) But even though you'll struggle to squat for a pee, and stairs will almost kill you - you'll still feel quite proud of WHY you're aching like that! lol

Back