has anyone noticed .....

Started a Fun Food thread in the off topics - see how far it goes lol I imagine there will be weird ideas put on there

Emmaline said:
I have noticed that myself as I am quite an obsessive user of this forum and get quite disheartened when there is little response. However, there are a lot of "older" members who stick to their circle of "friends" and hardly ever post elsewhere. (Otherwise known as cliques!) I have constantly tried posting on these sites but got really fedup with being ignored. :

Hmm....... :-/

Yes it is very quiet these days, hardly any new "meaty" threads just little short answer type threads.

Quite correct whoever said us oldies get cheesed off with advice being snapped at, when people blatantly don't want to listen to what's being said, it makes one less likely to comment. Even off topic is quieter than it ever was.

I'm not going anywhere though, I do like this forum and I have some great friends on here.

I have noticed that myself as I am quite an obsessive user of this forum and get quite disheartened when there is little response. However, there are a lot of "older" members who stick to their circle of "friends" and hardly ever post elsewhere. (Otherwise known as cliques!) I have constantly tried posting on these sites but got really fedup with being ignored. Now I just write on my diary on occasion, or my blog, and try to encourage newbies when they join.
However, as you say Catherine, it does seem to be much more quiet on here than it was a few months back. Never mind, let's all be determined to support each other as much as possible anyway... :wavey:

OOH !!! I suppose I a one of the older members too along with Jaylou and several others who posted a lot on here and always supported each other. The threads then were interesting topics and one could answer with an opinion without fear of unpleasantness.

I stopped posting in off Topic because of the unpleasantness and very recently had another thread I started ( that mini moved to a more private place) removed all together because of the foolish thoughtless response from one member in particular.

We are not and never have been a clique, just a bunch of people who enjoyed a good, often in depth discussion unlike the wishy, washy threads that are around now.

I expect there will be those who take offence at what is not meant to be an offensive reply merely a defense of the older members who have given so much help and advice to newbies only to be shot down in flames.

Hmm....... :-/

Yes it is very quiet these days, hardly any new "meaty" threads just little short answer type threads.

Quite correct whoever said us oldies get cheesed off with advice being snapped at, when people blatantly don't want to listen to what's being said, it makes one less likely to comment. Even off topic is quieter than it ever was.

I'm not going anywhere though, I do like this forum and I have some great friends on here.

I am with you all the way Jay and another one that is not going away unlike the members who have disappeared altogether sadly, just sitting back and observing more these days.

I think if people can't take advice/constructive criticism then they shouldn't ask in the first place. I have found nothing but friendly, supportive people since I joined a couple of weeks ago both male and female. Whilst using the slimming world site, I find this site to be invaluable and I for one shall continue to use it even when at target ( I live in hope). So thank you to all you lovely people out there :grouphugg:

I hope no one takes offence. It is good to put a reason across as to why it maybe quiet!!!

People always come and go on forums but it has been really quiet on here of late. X

I don't think they will jaylou everyone has their reasons for coming and going - I think it was just an observation rather than anything else

OOH !!! I suppose I a one of the older members too along with Jaylou and several others who posted a lot on here and always supported each other. The threads then were interesting topics and one could answer with an opinion without fear of unpleasantness.

I stopped posting in off Topic because of the unpleasantness and very recently had another thread I started ( that mini moved to a more private place) removed all together because of the foolish thoughtless response from one member in particular.

We are not and never have been a clique, just a bunch of people who enjoyed a good, often in depth discussion unlike the wishy, washy threads that are around now.

I expect there will be those who take offence at what is not meant to be an offensive reply merely a defense of the older members who have given so much help and advice to newbies only to be shot down in flames.

I am with you all the way Jay and another one that is not going away unlike the members who have disappeared altogether sadly, just sitting back and observing more these days.

My comments were an observation on the people who prefer to keep to just a few rather than spread their time and support around. Cliques are just that..those that prefer to keep to a few..and so be it. No offense meant, a spade is a spade in my book. Let's not sqabble over a word!

If observations are made about people and comments posted about the observations its bound to get a response but hopefully people won't squabble. Some people have very good reasons for choosing who they give advice to after getting unpleasant reactions in the past just as some people have their reasons to only post in the pregnancy threads etc
Have never known it so quiet on here though with the boards being the same threads with few responses for so long apart from the main board which is
Often new posts but same topics.

Emmaline said:
My comments were an observation on the people who prefer to keep to just a few rather than spread their time and support around. Cliques are just that..those that prefer to keep to a few..and so be it. No offense meant, a spade is a spade in my book. Let's not sqabble over a word!

I think the other thing is that many people are limited for time when they come on here, I often only have 10-15 mins to browse on my phone and will use that time to complete my diary as that to me is important for my weight loss, and if I have time I'll browse some diaries I'm subscribed to, which to be fair tend to be those who cook foods I like etc ( e.g. Fish/veggie stuff) as I use them for inspiration, I rarely browse the actual forum, but that is just a time issue rather than a lack of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I used to be a daily poster especially on the off topic but I was getting abit p.off with people making snappy or sarcastic comments when i just come on for support, its really a shame as ive been a member for 4 years and it used to be great fun and i would spend hours on here...

so I just post the odd support to new members or in the fitness and exercise forum these days & just use the recipie section for reference :) it will start to get busy again when we all start panicking about Xmas again :)

Emmaline said:
I have noticed that myself as I am quite an obsessive user of this forum and get quite disheartened when there is little response. However, there are a lot of "older" members who stick to their circle of "friends" and hardly ever post elsewhere. (Otherwise known as cliques!) I have constantly tried posting on these sites but got really fedup with being ignored. Now I just write on my diary on occasion, or my blog, and try to encourage newbies when they join.
However, as you say Catherine, it does seem to be much more quiet on here than it was a few months back. Never mind, let's all be determined to support each other as much as possible anyway... :wavey:

I can see how it be seen as people being cliquey on here & i assure you that, at least on my part, its certainly not intentional. About 8 months ago there was a spate of trolls who were really very rude to people on here. Fillymum in particular came in for some grief for the simple sin (excuse the pun) of living somewhere where she didn't pay a TV license! Honestly it was all a bit silly! There was a general trend toward support being "it's okay, you'll be fine, it doesn't matter if you ate a large dominos last night, you'll still loose weight tomorrow' and anyone who suggested that you might actually be better off, like, not eating the pizza in the 1st place was being horrible for saying so. As a consequence of this trend, a lot of members left, or stopped posting anywhere but their own diaries.

Having said all this, I for one will make more of an effort now that there seems to be a few more sane people on here willing to hear some realism :)

jezzi999 said:
It's the whole of minimins though. I read quite a few other boards just because I'm interested/nosy and they are all really quiet at the moment.

I think it's the cold snap and the run up to Xmas - these are the traditional times that people fall off the wagon, while January and may/June (per-summer holidays) are prime time.

I'm finally back on my wagon I've got a party dress that could do with being a tad less tight ..... I've got just over a month

cat yoyo greaves said:
I'm finally back on my wagon I've got a party dress that could do with being a tad less tight ..... I've got just over a month

Good luck! I've got 5 weeks till my holiday & like you have a few clothing items which could do with being less tight!

I'm terrible even when I'm off the wagon I don't stop coming here, but I suppose I'm always at least attempting to get back on the wagon whereas a lot of people fall off completely and don't catch up until after Christmas (I would have gained 8 stone by then if I did that haha)

donna88 said:
I'm terrible even when I'm off the wagon I don't stop coming here, but I suppose I'm always at least attempting to get back on the wagon whereas a lot of people fall off completely and don't catch up until after Christmas (I would have gained 8 stone by then if I did that haha)

That is sooo me I just hunt for a post that gives me the push to get back on track

i agree the past few weeks its gone quite. BOOO! we need more newbies ;)

Please, please do not think I am squabbling . I am not. I do not want problems with any one and am quite concerned that I feel frightened to point out my view of a situation.

The dictionary definition of the word clique is as follows......................

[h=3]clique/klēk/
[/h]
Noun:
A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others.

I do not think that any of us oldies have ever done that quite the opposite in fact.

I appreciate everyones point of view and respect their personal opinions. I was just stating my own opinion and defend my right to do so, just as you have.

Back