Has anyone read The lovely bones?

Yes I have read that..............definatly a tearjerker

Yea, it was really interesting as well because of the way it was written. Havnt read it in ages though. Was infuriating at times because he was right next door though!

I've just read 'A Child Called It". Oh my goodness I read it in one day. I couldn't put it down. Its a true life story written by the child in the book who is now an adult. Has anyone else read it? If you have you'll understand what I mean when I say I wish I could spend 1/2hr in a room with the childs mother!!! Death would be too good for her and that is not going over the top.

I've read "the lovely bones" - read it in uni and cried my heart out.

Also read "a child called it" and all the sequels - there have been reports by Davids brothers that all of it is fake. Look on the tinterweb, some terrible accusations against the boy for lying to sell more copies.

"A million little pieces" is the same - a brilliant book but apparently "exaggerated" xxx

I've read "the lovely bones" - read it in uni and cried my heart out.

Also read "a child called it" and all the sequels - there have been reports by Davids brothers that all of it is fake. Look on the tinterweb, some terrible accusations against the boy for lying to sell more copies.

"A million little pieces" is the same - a brilliant book but apparently "exaggerated" xxx

I don't believe it is a fake. It has been recorded as the third worst case of abuse in American History. He could not have made up being stabbed/burned etc as he has the scars to prove it. It was the teachers who actually spotted what had been happening to him and also a family friend reported the mother, so I do not believe it is a fake. His brothers are bound to say it was untrue because they sat by and let it all happen.

Just further to the above. Davids brother Richard has written a book called 'A brothers Journey' and it tells of the abuse. He was the 'little nazi' as she called him who spied on David and grassed him up to his mum. I honesly believe this happened to him and if so it is unimaginable to think what that little boy suffered.

Lovely Bones is great - its currently being made into a film - I hope they don't ruin it!

Oooooooooooh, is this the begininnings of a Book Club??

Have not read 'the lovely bones' yet. Can't really read for leisure at the minute but will certainly be sinking into it in the summer when my studies are done and dusted.

I read 'a million little pieces' though, but felt so betrayed on discovering that it was more fiction that reality. Read it on recommendation of the Oprah Book Club. Oprah was so incensed that the author had later admitted embellishing his experience.

Shaz - what is awful is that every day in this country children are suffering the same fate or worse. Every day there is at least 10 children admitted to hospital with "inflicted" injuries, ranging from burns and broken ribs (the "minor" cases) to brain injuries...and the goverment keeps cutting every budget for every service involved with these kids. The level of child abuse in this country is shocking, yet it is just not something that is really ever discussed. Working in the system is so frustrating - getting a 5 year old the therapy needed to deal with what has happened can take 12 - 18 months, but which time the child is then even more psychologically damaged.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with this, but it is one of those things that really really winds me up.

i totally agree amanda. am training to be a social worker at the mo and it really opens ur eyes to what is actually going on behind closed doors!

Dont go into Childrens Services - I have literally watched it destroy people! You try your best, you do what you can and you then get criticised by your team leader (because they always would have removed the children earlier); by the court becasue your reports are late because you have twice as many families to deal with as you should, by the children, because until you have done the work with them they view their removal from home as your fault so you are the baddy, by the parents because they lost their children because of you not because they should not even be allowed to keep goldfish, and lastly, by nasty people like me - the family barrister, who will go all out to demonstrate that you are completely incompetant, do not know one end of social work from the other, and are totally wrong!!!

Sorry for ranting, but my job gets me down - children deserve better than what we currently give them!:cry:

Hi,
I have read The Lovely Bones a few years ago.

I read The Time Travellers Wife, and read Lovely Bones on a recommendation (I read somewhere - possibly written on the book) that If i liked the Time Travelers Wife I'd like Lovely Bones. Couldn't have been further from the truth. Lovely Bones: the story itself is sad - child looking down from heaven having been abused and then murdered and her family coming to terms with the loss. HOwever I was totally bored by the book. I didn't feel emotionally attached nor did I connect with the family ... in fact I didn't like them especially the mother, I had no empathy with her at all. The only person I felt sad for was the father who drove himself to distraction with his hunch that he couldn't prove. I also didn't like the way it ended and what happened to the murderer etc. Anyway on the whole I hated the book ... sorry.

The Lovely Bones bares no resemblance to The Time Travellers Wife ... which is one of my all time favourite books ever.

i have now read the lovely bones, read it in 5 evenings.

and loved it! but i do agree they didnt really make it understood what happened to him. i take it he just left and went on his 'merry' way....

and loved it! but i do agree they didnt really make it understood what happened to him. i take it he just left and went on his 'merry' way....

If my memory serves me correctly, the murderer was killed.

I've not read this thread for a while. Wow Amanda, it really is an insight reading your comments. I can see from what you've said how frustrated you are and understandably so. It is unbelievable in this day and age that these things are going on and the very people who are trying to help end up being criticised.

Chin up.....you are doing a wonderful job despite the circumstances in which you work.

These children need you hun.
Sharon.xx

did everyone know its being made into a movie? peter jackson is the director.. should be out in 2009.. they're recording it now.. amanda joy is in it.. yay!!!
aly and aj <3
the book is awesome.. so sad though.. :(

Back