Has anyone taken a 'break'?

Carmilla

Hello! I'm nine pounds from target but feeling a bit meh. I really want to get to target but I'm struggling with motivation. I thought I might try just maintaining for a fortnight or so, before giving it a final push.

Just wondered if anyone else had sort of taken a breather like this and gotten back on it afterwards, or if it led to a slippery slope back 'uphill' :)

I don't want to call target at this weight cos I'm quite goal orientated and I'll feel like a failure if I do.

I took a break which turned into 8months & I put all my weight back on plus a stone!!! Started back at class a couple wks ago :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I took a break a few months ago and have struggled and struggled to get back on track - 10lbs back on later and today is my first 100% day in ages!

This forum is awash with folk who have "taken a break", and in most cases it hasn't worked out well.

You don't need motivation, you just need a plan. Sit down, read your books again, write out a few week's menus, and just get on with it - see it as something that has to be done, like cleaning the loo or doing the ironing, rather than something for which you have to be motivated.

Back in February, I decided to call target at 8.11 as just couldnt seem to shift those last few pounds of getting me to my ultimate target of 8.7. So, I didnt take a break, but decided to follow the extra easy plan with an extra hexb and low and behold I started losing again, with me reaching my target on my 50th birthday of 8st 6.5lbs.
So my point is never take a 'break', as SW is for life, just put a 'spin' on it, vary your diet, make SW interesting, try new foods and you never know........

I think you never have a real break - SW is a lifestyle change in eating.

I think if you want to try maintiaining perhaps you are happy with your current weight - and if so, call target. It isnt a failure to do so, its common sense and making an adjustment to your end goal.

Good luck - xx

I think if you take a break from SW then you haven't really changed your mindset which I think you need to do in order to not gain loads again. Don't think of SW at a diet, think of it as a way of life.

I actually find I don't enjoy things like chips from the chippy anymore and much prefer SW ones, I don't actually buy chips but DH still likes to have them occasionally but I just don't bother to even have one now.

I would say call target at your current weight and try to maintain it rather than taking a break.

Denise

I took a break too and really struggled to get back on it, I'd have days when i thought "today is the day i get back on it" but it never lasted longer than a day and i'd be back eating crap again.
It all depends on the person, if you feel like you could get straight back on it with no problems then go for it... but it is easier said than done. Good luck x

Should really have explained myself better, I was thinking of doing more what kim83 suggested rather than going back to old ways.

I've been cutting right back and having minimal carbs and mostly speed foods, which has led me to feeling a bit deprived. I think I was getting a bit 'weird' with it tbh because even if I had say banana and mango for breakfast, I was feeling guilty that I hadn't had speed fruit instead.

Hello! I'm nine pounds from target but feeling a bit meh. I really want to get to target but I'm struggling with motivation. I thought I might try just maintaining for a fortnight or so, before giving it a final push.

Just wondered if anyone else had sort of taken a breather like this and gotten back on it afterwards, or if it led to a slippery slope back 'uphill' :)

I don't want to call target at this weight cos I'm quite goal orientated and I'll feel like a failure if I do.

People who 'take a break' usually end up putting back on what they lose and come back six months later even bigger than they started.

The plan is for the rest of your life. When you are at your target you dont need to be an angel, lots of deviation etc. But, if you go back to your old ways, you will look like what you used to.

i wouldnt take a break as in a break from 'diet' Its your change of life healthy eating... Maybe have a week or so of 'treating yourself' and dont still 100% to plan but give a set time so you dont fall of track completely. It may help you get back into it again x

From my own experience, I called target half a stone over my final goal and stayed there for a month or so just increased my HEX's (as they suggest to do once at target) and it helped me a great deal. After that month I started losing again to get to my real target because you can adjust it half a stone at a time. I found the extra HEX's on top of my normal syns helped because it was keeping me satisfied because I could have say cereal or bread as well as a hifi bar.

edit: Yeah the plan is healthy eating rather than a diet so if you don't stick to it once you hit target you might end up the way you used to be (not saying it will happen, but I know I need the discipline of the plan to stop me binging etc!)

Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to re-read my books and mix things up a bit. Having a cheese salad sandwich for lunch tomorrow (using hexa and b) with a tbsp of extra light mayo - really looking forward to it cos I've not really allowed myself bread so it'll still feel like a treat while being on plan

I think it is possible, but you have to be motivated to get back on it! Maybe try and stick to plan half & half? I took a 'break' for about a month and stuck to plan for about half the week really, but I've actually carried on losing! So you may be lucky and be able to enjoy your food, whilst still doing SW days when possible, and most importantly still losing! It's definitely refreshed me a bit, lol.

I think it depends what you mean by 'taking a break' if like in your first post you were talking about just easing your foot off the gas and maintaining your current loss then I'd say you would have to stick pretty much to plan anyway.
As wonderful as SW is sticking to it 100% is hard going so maybe just have a meal off or something flexi syn maybe and then do that re-jigging things like you say and trying some new meals.
If it means a lot to you to get to your target then keep going but don't panic about getting there I bet you look great already and just take it steadily x

Back