Have joined a 'happy' group...

Sparkle

Gold Member
There are groups for weight loss, reading, music, walking etc etc Why not one for being happy?

Today I've been to the first session of a group that works on building your self confidence, esteem, belief and courage.

It's every fortnight and I can't wait for the next one, I really found it interesting - even though it really brought home how much I dislike myself and my life (we had to score certain aspects) and everyone had to share their scores.

But this is something I really feel I can benefit from. If no one minds I would like to post any progress I make in this thread.

Please do Sparkle - it sounds really interesting, anything that can help you restore your confidence and self-like has got to be a good thing.

Looking forward to hearing more about it :)

Yes, PLEASE do!

So much of our daily life is scarred by depression and poor self-image.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Hello.

Just found this section on Minimins - it's fantastic. Yes, Sparkle - let us know how you get on. It sounds wonderful; is it just a local thing?

Good luck!

Mrs L xxxx

Aww thanks guys. Nice to see people interested.

Yes, unfortunately I believe it is just a local thing. I'm really looking forward to the next one as I believe that this will help me a lot! I had the lowest 'happiness' score so I have the most to gain from it (trying to focus on the positive!). Basically we were given a worksheet. On it was a circle which was split into about 8 sections (health, finance, career, hobbies, inner harmoney, personal development, life style, relationships.. I think that was it) like a pie chart. Then there were about 10 circles inside... So kinda like a tiny one, then a bigger one around that, then a slightly bigger one etc..

Basically if you scored one aspect of your life at 1 out of 10 (the lowest) you would put a dot on the first circle in that sectiong... if you scored it 5 out of ten it would be on the middle circle etc. (I know this isn't making much sense, I wish I could draw it for you to show you but I don't even have a scanner so that wouldn't be much use).

Out of 80 I scored 37... so my overall life happiness score out of 10 was 4.6!!

He went round the group and asked us which of those sections were our priority... the majority of people said inner harmony.

He also said that we all have black dogs! A little black dog on our shoulder that whenever we go to do something it's yapping at us "You're not good enough!" "That person over there is better then you!" etc etc.

The way to change our thoughts (black dog) is by layering - tell yourself something over and over again, do something over and over again. 21 times makes a habit. etc.

I should be able to explain this better after the next one as I believe we get a CD of a recording of the previous session each time we go. Apparently he's going to hypnotise us on the 8th meeting as well.

We had to talk to someone in the group who we didn't know, tell each other about our family, what we do (job etc), our hobbies and why we are in this group. I spoke to a lovely lady called Nikki, and it was nice(?) to know I'm not the only one who so hard on myself and has such low self esteem.

Anyway, this post is probably not very clear, but I have to admit to being in a rush and I'm just typing things as and when I remember them. Will try and post some more before the next meeting. :D

Hi Sparkle, I wonder if it's anything like the 'Assertivness training' my local college runs as a 'lifestyle course'? They reckon it helps you to value yourself more and stop being a doormat. If it's the same sort of thing then I bet most colleges will do something similar... just a case of figuring out what they call it? It certainly sounds good. I hope you all you want from it !!!

Back