Have you told people that you are doing Slim & Save?

zeke

Gold Member
I have decided to avoid telling anyone that I am on a diet let alone a VLCD. My husband knows, of course, but I don't plan to tell anyone else.
Lots of reasons and past experience coming into play there! I'm afraid I just don't find it useful at all to discuss my diet/weight with anyone other than people on Minimins. DH will just let me get on with it.
I think there will become a point where I will be forced into it though - going to see how long I can go before being put in that position!
What about you?

Nobodys business at all. I just crack on!

When I did atkins people caused such a fuss, spreading rumours I had eating disorders etc. Not worth the hassle

Anyone asks, its protein. End of conversation!!

Find its easier that way Xx

Nobodys business at all. I just crack on!

When I did atkins people caused such a fuss, spreading rumours I had eating disorders etc. Not worth the hassle

Anyone asks, its protein. End of conversation!!

Find its easier that way Xx

Too true!

I have decided that when people start noticing and asking I am just going to answer that I am doing the 'not having a bottle of wine every evening diet' (most people know that DH and I like our wine!) and change the subject asap.

I am dreading finding excuses not to have meals with people. I am breaking this diet for no one though!

Congratulations on your fantastic successes so far!

Thanks hun

It's so easy to eat out on plan you won't have any problems x

Yes, I would imagine it would be tricky to keep it quiet in an office!
I'm not imagining it being a problem at work due to the nature of my job and my normal MO at work around food. It isn't that I especially want to keep it secret or anything, I'm not ashamed of it at all - I just don't want to have to talk about it/listen to other people's views/fend of attempts at sabotage (I can definintely name a work colleague, a family member and a friend who do this - not sure if they realise they do it or not)/bore people/have people gossip about it.

I normally tell people but to be honest having done it so often, I can see people internally rolling their eyes when I restart. S this time, I'm just going to crack on, and wait for the comments about having lost weight.

People what people..... I have no life on this diet!!! Lol.... Not that I would swap it for 1 minute!!!

My Oh knows but i have select people I tell and select people i dont lie to..... but dont entirely disclose what I am eating/not eating!!!

I feel there's less pressure that way!!! I would never deny the diet as i believe its one of the only things ever to work for me and i think its brilliant!!!!

X

My oh and mum/ sis know. I only told mum when she said I was looking good. She's wanted me to do ll for years!!

At my office its not worth the,hassle, all the gossip and *****in. Next thing you know your the office nutjob!!

Agreed with d, no pressure is all good!!

The only person that knows I'm doing this is my boyfriend but it would be hard to hide given that we live together :p

I also work in an office but have told no one and they either don't see me eat lunch as they out or they just think I got cup a soup, if they think anything different they haven't said, the packs are quite plain so easy to hide. I've been losing weight over the past couple of years on rosemary Conley (before getting stuck in a rut and putting 2 stone on :O) so me losing weight isn't going to cause them to ask questions!

At the start of my VLCD I didn't feel like telling anyone either - but it was done for me because a friend at work had started LL (which is one of the things which encouraged me to start) and she told other people that I had started too. I was a bit surprised but I hadn't asked her to keep it quiet or anything. I'm really pleased people did know though - I got a lot od support and it gave me the confidence to tell people in my personal life too. Now I won't shut up about it!

Interestingly there is a group of people who I don't tell though - they are business people who I have met since losing the weight. It's not that I don't tell them abput the diet - I just don't tell them how much weight I've lost. Not sure if that's a bad thing...

weasey said:
At the start of my VLCD I didn't feel like telling anyone either - but it was done for me because a friend at work had started LL (which is one of the things which encouraged me to start) and she told other people that I had started too. I was a bit surprised but I hadn't asked her to keep it quiet or anything. I'm really pleased people did know though - I got a lot od support and it gave me the confidence to tell people in my personal life too. Now I won't shut up about it!

Interestingly there is a group of people who I don't tell though - they are business people who I have met since losing the weight. It's not that I don't tell them abput the diet - I just don't tell them how much weight I've lost. Not sure if that's a bad thing...

I doubt many people recognise you Weasey!!

2 stone, 4lb lighter in 9 weeks.

kellmo said:
I doubt many people recognise you Weasey!!

That's true! I often have to tell people who haven't seen me for a while who I am! However, in the last few months I have started a new business and am meeting and networking with lots of people who never knew me when I was larger. I don't tell them how much weight I've lost. In some ways this is positive as my weight is not an issue with them - but in others I wonder why I'm not telling them - it's to keep things professional but I think there's something else in there too.

Sorry - give a girl a bit of therapy and she can't help analysing everything!

I can't even imagine it Weasey, when i lot 3 stone I was kind of embarrassed for people to know (as i thought they'd judge me for being so fat in the first place!).

Plus you can't really drop it into conversation about sales, gross percentages etc (or whatever it is you happen to be talking about!)....

I should get a leather couch and just listen to you :)

I think a previous weight loss is only really relevant for other people if they either knew you then or need to lose weight themselves. I don't think it is secretive at all not to reveal your weight loss to people who only know you post-weight loss. To them you are a slim person because you are a slim person.
I have a couple of new friends (friends for about 3 years) who I know lost a fair amount of weight in the past - I just cannot imagine them any bigger than they are now. On the other hand, I met up with someone who I was friendly with where I used to live about 10 years ago and she was completely shocked at my weight (I am now 4-5 st heavier) and said it didn't suit me at all (I know this - I know this sounds rude but she is one of those people who can almost get away with saying what she thinks! I actually liked the fact that she said this as it confirmed to me that this is a transitory state and not 'me'). Most of my friends now have only known me at a size 16-18-20 (I live a long way from where I did in my twenties) and I hate the fact that they only know me as fat - I am going to change that! After I have been slim for a while and people have had chance to get used to it I can see myself being irritated by references to me being fat in the past, not because I am embarrassed and want to sweep it under the carpet, but because I will be slim not a fat person who is slim. Not even sure if that makes sense!

I'm really pleased people did know though - I got a lot od support and it gave me the confidence to tell people in my personal life too. Now I won't shut up about it!.

I did get fantastic support first time round. Everyone was amazing really - including a work colleague who was at the time training to run across the USA (Run Geordie Run for anyone who has heard of him). But having regained 60 pounds, I'm embarrassed.

I'm determined this time that I need to get back to a happy and healthy weight. I'm tired of being fat again. I don't know what is worst:

1) People have forgotten that I was slim.
2) People HAVEN'T forgotten that I used to be slim.
3) Some people have no idea I managed to be slim.

I tend to sabotage myself once I start to work out what weight I want to be; it keeps getting higher as I realise how long it'll take (ironic given my post/thread about using the passage of time). So this time, I've set myself a date of Oct 22nd, or when my son is born (which could be a few days earlier). No self-negotiation of when I finish or the size I get to; I'm in this until I am holding my little boy. What I have always worried about is being a fat dad, and passing on my unhealthy eating habits and body issues. So I have just long enough to start as I mean to go on.

Back