Healthy BMI or really thin?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by broxi, 8 August 2009 Social URL.

1. broxi

broxi ButtErFly

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(8.09%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It's the middle of the night and I can't sleep so just thought I'd ask this question.

Are you going to stop at a healthy BMI or do you want to go on until you're really thin?

I'm 5' 1'' and 46 and at 9st I'm really neat but still could lose down to 8stone easy. It's weird knowing that on this diet I have this choice.

What does anyone else want to do?

x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. broxi

broxi ButtErFly

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(8.09%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    BTW I've still loads to lose before I get to 9 stone!

4. alipally

alipally Serial Dieter!

Start Weight:
    118.3kg
    Current Weight:
    113.7kg
    Goal Weight:
    80kg
    Lost(%):
    4.6kg(3.87%)
    Diet:
    Optifast/cambridge
    For me at least it's not about my bmi.... it's about my dress size!

I would really like to be a size 12. At the moment I'm guessing at what my bmi will be because it's been so damn long since I saw it (over 20 years!) so whatever weight I am when I fit into size 12 will be my target..... I really don't want to be superskinny, I'd be horrified if I ended up as thin as Nicole Kidman for instance.

I remember reading as a 15 year old that Whitney Houston was 5'8" and weighed 8st 12lb....... I'm just over an inch taller but I will have been dead for 6 months before I even got beneath 10 stone!!!!

5. towergilly

towergilly Full Member

Start Weight:
    22st8lb
    Current Weight:
    20st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st8lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(11.08%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    i've never been a healthy weight or undr a size 18/20 as long as i can remember so i'm just heading for the healthy bmi and then i'll see how i feel as i'd still like to have a bottom and boobs for me it's about be healthy yeah i want to look good and buy a dress from zara's but this is for life so healthy is the plan!

also can't sleep!

6. wannabesize10

wannabesize10 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st2lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    i am currently CC but did CD which really kicked started my weight loss for me ... however my goal weight has changed a few times i keep lowering it this morning i just hit the 9's 139lbs ... my 1st goal was 9.7 ..then 9 now it's 8s 10 as i feel i will look better at that weight however not really considered bmi more dress size as my names sake i really want to be a size 10 which atm i fit some size 10's so i know at 8'10 i will def be a 10 :D for the 1st time in my life !

so strange before i started dieting i dreamed to be 10 stone again and size 12 ..which i am but now i want more ! us woman hey ! :p

7. Bea

Bea Back on the wagon!

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(6.53%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge +
    I think thats why there is such a range on the BMI around healthy weight...I am 5 4" and really dont look good much below 10stone...just look too gaunt (must be big bones hee hee).....I agree its about dress size (that you feel comfortable in) and what suits you shape and when you feel confident about yourself rather than the what the scales say.....(as she runs off to scales to see how weight loss for this week as gone....)

8. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    Hey there

Snap, I too am 5ft 1. I stopped at 8st 11lb as I was comfortable with my size. I think finding the place where you feel happy is the key and not paying to much mind to BMI as it can vary so much depending on build, muscle density etc. You also need to think about maintaining and what is realistic for you. I am nearly 40 and was also a bit concerned that by going lower it might age me a bit.

Great choice to have though aye!

x

9. Wales

Wales Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Difficult one this. My target weight is still in the overweight BMI range. I think I am going to see how I feel when I get there. I am not a naturally skinny or petite build, and have a larger sized bust and backside than my waist. I would like to look slim, be toned and I think I can get that around the top of my BMI.

To be honest I didn't think I would get as far as I have, so I may amend my target once I get closer.

I want to get a size that I stick at (12 probably) so that I can buy clothes and not have to replace with a different size (bigger or smaller) I can't afford it!

10. TrueBlueAngel

TrueBlueAngel I WILL be thin!!

Start Weight:
    10st11.7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7.7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10.7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.64%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    Its never been about my BMI, at one time BMI was unheard of (for me anyway). Its about my weight and dress size which is more important to me and I have a LONG way to go yet.

11. amm451

amm451 Do Over

Start Weight:
    16st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(14.77%)
    Diet:
    CD
    For me it was what I could realistically do in the time given, however getting close to that elusive BMI of 25 is definitely important for me. First time roundI was BMI 26 and the doctor told me to maintain as I was getting too slim!!! What a problem, I took this a bit far and then piled the weight back on. This time, hopefully, I will stop at BMI 25 and then work up the plans whatever I loose on top is a bonus!

12. Chlo

Chlo Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(5.7%)
    Diet:
    LL / CD
    I am 5 foot and my target weight apparently according to that graph is between 7stone and 9 stone..... 7 stone I ask you, my leg weighs more than that. I think I am going to go along the lines of heading for a size 12, and then make a judgement, whether I want to be a size 10, rather than concentrate on the weight. I really don't want to be 7 stone, I would blow away.

13. boardwitless

boardwitless Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    I am heading for 12 stones which is a bmi of about 23 (I'm tall) - I can (just about) remember being 12 stones in the past and found it quite comfortable although I have no idea what dress size this would make me as my wardrobe now ranges from size 12 to size 22 (and those items fit!!) so for me it's about the weight that I know I can achieve (and hopefully maintain)
    I have never gone by dress size as there are so many other factors to take into account (style, stretchy material, manufacturer, cut etc) that it gives a false image

14. MissPinky

MissPinky Shrinky Pinky!

Diet:
    Cambridge Diet - maintenance
    I set a goal of 3 stone and 2 dress sizes (to a 14). My CDC set a goal of 4 stone (which I didn't believe would be possible) because that would get my BMI down to healthy normal. It was BMI based for CD purposes.

I really didn't think I'd get to that... but I almost have and am surprised to be in 12–14 clothing now (dependent upon brand). I find I am wanting to get my BMI down to <=25 so that I'm not technically 'overweight'. Actually, I look okay now as I am with BMI at just over 25. I'm starting to feel settled, but the temptation to try to get to size 12 is starting to prevail in my consciousness.
    Mainly because it's in reach... but I think it's the healthy BMI that's my main driver now. Anything else is the ribbon and bow on top of the parcel (could hardly say cherry on the cake, could I?! ;)).

15. Purplepixie

Purplepixie Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(27.87%)
    Diet:
    CD
    at the start is was weight. I wanted to be 11 stone. 11 stone was my target and that was it. Now here I am at 12 stone 10 and realising that I am not gonna get down to 11 stone , there literally isn't enough of me to go so my new focus is healthy BMI and maybe a few lb below that.

16. Petrina

Petrina Full Member

Goal Weight:
    8st13lb
    I'm 5'1 and I've set my goal to 8.10 so I can get into the 8s. At 9st I was happy. I was size 10 and got into size 8s in some brands. My goal is to be in size 8-10 clothes. When I get to 8.10 I will be there. Still have a bit to lose.

17. eyeontheprize

eyeontheprize can see the end in sight!

Start Weight:
    20st7lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6lb
    Lost(%):
    7st11lb(37.98%)
    Diet:
    Currently - Cambridge SS+
    I have set my goal as only just within the healthy bmi range. I feel pretty good now, but it's purely mental wanting to lose the last few lbs. It will be in the healthy range but only just.

I feel like I should go lower sometimes as I see people on here aiming for low bmi's but then sense prevails and I tell myself that everyones different so I should do what is best for me.

I am a 12/14 now which I am pretty happy with. I will lose a few more inches through excerise I think.

Fun fact gang- I read today that people with a bmi of 22.5 to 25 actually have a longer life expectency than people with bmi's between 20- 22.5. Interesting. I read it in the guardian today.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Andrea5867

Andrea5867 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    14st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st9lb(15.16%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    I agree that its more about the dress size and feeling good about hw you look than about the weight and BMI
    BMI doesn't account for age and I know that I'd look totally gaunt at the weight I was when I was 18 (which is a BMI of 23)
    I'd be happy shopping anywhere for a size 12 /14
    Andrea x

20. Laura Croft

Laura Croft Happily maintaining

Diet:
    Healthy eating, was CD
    BMI is a great guide but I don't think it should be the be all and end all.

It doesn't take into account fat/muscle composition and just because someone has a low BMI doesn't mean they are physically fit.

All that said ;), I'm aiming for a fairly low BMI because I just want to see what happens. I've been about 8 pounds within my current target and want to lose just that bit more. 8 pounds may be a bit much but we'll see how it goes.

Being physically fit and toned with a lower body fat % is also important for me.

21. JustJen84

JustJen84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(21.05%)
    Diet:
    WW
    as long as i stay within a healthy bmi im happy, my targets 9stone as i know i was a 8-10 with this weight last time, i dont know if i will lose any more than that yet i think id look odd due to my frame size if i went less, problem with bmi is it doesnt account for frame size and ithink someone of my height with a slight frame would be fine at the lower end but i think id look ill

22. broxi

broxi ButtErFly

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st0lb(8.09%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    You have all done really well and it is very interesting to hear what your views are. I don't bother with the dress size cos in some shops I'm an 18 and in others a 12. It's interesting to hear from people my height and you are all going for the 8stone something so I suppose if I want to be at ideal weight then that should be my goal too. I was that when young and figure was lovely but just trying to convince myself i'll be fine a bit heavier!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.