Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

healthy bmi range?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by JustJen84, 31 July 2009 Social URL.

1. JustJen84

JustJen84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(21.05%)
    Diet:
    WW
    hi hope someone can answer for me as far as i was aware the healthy bmi range is 20-25 yes? i went on the nhs website on the bmi calculator and it says 18.5-25 so im a bit confused has it changed?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Coley

Coley Re-starter

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(16.75%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    If you're talking about this:

Healthy weight bmi calculator

yes..the lower end does say 18.5. I have no idea why. But the top end..25-30 is classed as Overweight which is the norm...

4. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yes, it can vary according to opinion :rolleyes: Cambridge take it from BMI 20 to 25 as healthy

5. JustJen84

JustJen84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(21.05%)
    Diet:
    WW
    ahh good i was wondering if it was to do with people of asian origin as im sure i read their healthy bmi levels are lower for some reason. i have a shocking mental image of myself at 7 and half stone which is the 18.5 id look like skeletor

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Ah yes. Can't remember what it is, but even for Cambridge, they 'allow' a lower BMI if the dieter is asian

7. Coley

Coley Re-starter

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(16.75%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Yeah...I forget. Something about Asians actually being built smaller...

I start to look weird at BMI 25. Mind you..might have been better and filled out in sensible places if I'd worked up the plans like I was supposed to!

8. xtwinklex

xtwinklex Eat to live don't live to eat!

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.3%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    It makes me laugh actually, the 'healthy' bmi being 20-25, mine is currently 26.1 and I need to lose another 7lbs to get to 25, people keep telling me I need to stop losing weight as I'm skinny enough now and when I explain that I want to have a healthy bmi I get told that bmi is rubbish and I 'look healthy' so not to worry!

I think I'll stick with cambridge tho and get to my healthy bmi!!!

xx

9. clairabellx

clairabellx Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.72%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    The range is there because we are all different - some are smaller build than others. I recall years ago we were called ecto- endo- and meso- morphs (basically small, med and larger build).

Does anyone else remember this, before the advent of the BMI?

I am aiming to get into the lower healthy range of BMI because it will give me more flexibility. If I get to 25 and stay there, there isn't much leeway for gaining that inevitable half stone, as I expect will happen, you know?

I think the unhealthy (less than 18.5 and over 25) is what we should focus on avoiding - anywhere between those is all good!

xtwinklex likes this.
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.