healthy bmi range?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by JustJen84, 31 July 2009 Social URL.

1. JustJen84

JustJen84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(21.05%)
    Diet:
    WW
    hi hope someone can answer for me as far as i was aware the healthy bmi range is 20-25 yes? i went on the nhs website on the bmi calculator and it says 18.5-25 so im a bit confused has it changed?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Coley

Coley Re-starter

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(16.75%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    If you're talking about this:

Healthy weight bmi calculator

yes..the lower end does say 18.5. I have no idea why. But the top end..25-30 is classed as Overweight which is the norm...

4. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yes, it can vary according to opinion :rolleyes: Cambridge take it from BMI 20 to 25 as healthy

5. JustJen84

JustJen84 Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(21.05%)
    Diet:
    WW
    ahh good i was wondering if it was to do with people of asian origin as im sure i read their healthy bmi levels are lower for some reason. i have a shocking mental image of myself at 7 and half stone which is the 18.5 id look like skeletor

6. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Ah yes. Can't remember what it is, but even for Cambridge, they 'allow' a lower BMI if the dieter is asian

7. Coley

Coley Re-starter

Start Weight:
    13st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(16.75%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Yeah...I forget. Something about Asians actually being built smaller...

I start to look weird at BMI 25. Mind you..might have been better and filled out in sensible places if I'd worked up the plans like I was supposed to!

8. xtwinklex

xtwinklex Eat to live don't live to eat!

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st12lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.3%)
    Diet:
    Exante
    It makes me laugh actually, the 'healthy' bmi being 20-25, mine is currently 26.1 and I need to lose another 7lbs to get to 25, people keep telling me I need to stop losing weight as I'm skinny enough now and when I explain that I want to have a healthy bmi I get told that bmi is rubbish and I 'look healthy' so not to worry!

I think I'll stick with cambridge tho and get to my healthy bmi!!!

xx

9. clairabellx

clairabellx Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.72%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    The range is there because we are all different - some are smaller build than others. I recall years ago we were called ecto- endo- and meso- morphs (basically small, med and larger build).

Does anyone else remember this, before the advent of the BMI?

I am aiming to get into the lower healthy range of BMI because it will give me more flexibility. If I get to 25 and stay there, there isn't much leeway for gaining that inevitable half stone, as I expect will happen, you know?

I think the unhealthy (less than 18.5 and over 25) is what we should focus on avoiding - anywhere between those is all good!

xtwinklex likes this.
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.