Healthy eating, more expensive than junk?

Foods getting that expensive that ive got a huge garden I'm gonna start up a veggie patch! Oh how I miss organic home grown rhubarb! :)

Although my shopping bill did go up quite a lot I stopped buying takeaways (probably used to spend £20 a week on them), cash spent in vending machine/canteen at work & I have the same tenner in my purse for a week or more now so now I am actually better off..... I agree I'd you go somewhere like farm foods pizza, chips & processed foods are a lot cheaper but it's rubbish....

I has always boggled me why these supermarkets have a 'healthy' isle. Surely the bulk of these places should be healthy to start with, with a single 'naughty' isle. I do believe you get more junk for your money than healthy food, but as the junk triggers your brain to crave these types of foods i also believe they get eaten faster so thats a false economy! The problem with this country atm is that the government allows compnies to sell junk for low prices and do not promote our farms enough to push up production and therefore push down costs of the good stuff. They have intorduced a law in the UK that prohibits supermarkets from selling alcohol at low cost to try and combat binge drinking. Why is there nothing of this sort on chocolate and sweets?
But i digress. I do find shopping for healthy foods slightly more expensive but it is a marginal increase.

Ok so Eating healthily CAN but doesnt have to be expensive it all depends on what you but and where you buy it

I use Aldi for my fresh produce or my Local grocers as they are much cheaper than Asda Tesco etc... Every week Aldi do what they call super 6 which Is 6 different fresh fruit and Veg that they have on offer and all the fruit and Veg Is a reasonable price too they also do a basic bagged salad that Is 50p
The meat at Aldi Is good quality and very cheap and i tend to make my meat go further by bulking out meals with veggies

The tinned foods are also very good i buy a tin of corned beef and make a massive pan of tatty ash with loads of onion potato and carrots that will feed around 10 people
The cooked meats and cheeses are fab too
Frozen Veg now thats a good money saver farmfoods have a wide selection at only a pound a bag and its actually better for you than fresh as it Has been frozen almost as soon as its picked so Is chocked full of vitamins
Ok so some low fat products are bloody expensive but if you Cook from scratch do you really need to buy them .... If im cooking i always make extra to freeze for a lazy day then theres no need for convinience foods bulk cooking takes very little extra effort

Back