Healthy snacks?

Spanglymum

Gold Member
Anyone got any good suggestions for healthy snacks? Here are mine but I'm running out of ideas...

Raw veg and a tbsp of hummus to dip
Ditto w peanut butter
Crisp bread with low fat Philadelphia
Fruit (but not mango, pineapple or banana as my sugars go all over the place and I get cravings!)
Nuts (but must weigh them out as I like them too much!)
Cup of miso soup
Natural yoghurt with chopped fresh apple

I need to be more creative I think! (and possibly eat more satisfying foods at mealtimes so I don't want to snack!). What are your favorite snacks? And does anyone have any suggestions for something blue-cheesy but not loaded with fat?!

Personally I quite liked:

Sugar-free jelly pots - 10 calories per pot and rather filling. :) I used to buy the Sugar-Free mix and refill the pots - always had quite a few in the fridge!

Other snacks that I can think of, maybe a three-bean salad. Get a tin, chuck some finely cut up lettuce and grated carrot in with some balsamic vinegar or soy sauce. Perhaps have half a tin at a time or less. :)

Quinoa salad - 2 cups water per 1 cup quinoa, simmer it for 10 minutes and mix together with a few chickpeas, salad leaves and whatever you want. :) Quinoa is a complete protein so will keep your hunger at bay!

Keep some boiled eggs in the fridge - they're quite good to grab every once in a while!

Thing is, snacks are more to tide you over until the next meal, if you're getting bored of it - that means you aren't hungry enough to have it in the first place. They say, that when we have true hunger, it really doesn't matter WHAT we eat. The feelings of 'I don't want to eat that' come in when we're not actually hungry and don't particularly need it. :)

Last edited:
By the way, I do know that carrots and cucumber are probably the way forward (I hate celery with a passion) but am trying to be more creative! :D Thanks for the suggestion re sugar-free jelly. That's a new one to me! And I hadn't thought of quinoa as a snack food... but it's all about planning ahead, isn't it? Great suggestions. Thanks!

My new one is cucumber sandwiches!!

Which is cucumber slices (sliced thickly) , hard boiled egg (sliced thinley) and tsp of low fat cream cheese, black pepper.

Sandwich one egg slice topped with a bit of the LF cream cheese and grind of black peppper between two thicker cucmber slices. (could also pep it up a bit with paprika or cayenne pepper)

I was bored this afternoon so sliced this up and assembled them to nibble on. Padded out with other salad, it will of course count as a meal as I'm on LLLite

Like Minerva I keep a few boiled eggs ready to go in the fridge. A quick protein fix that is still reasonable in price.

I mix herbs and garlic into quark to give it some flavour and have as a dip for veggie sticks. Or water it down as a salad dressing.

When I'm allowed fruit again, plain LF yoghurt and berries is a favourite. xx

When I'm allowed fruit again, plain LF yoghurt and berries is a favourite. xx

A definite favourite as an after dinner dessert (or breakfast)! So low calorie as well! I miss it!

I don't think I'm eating enough at lunch time as I'm always hungry when it's time to catch the train home, which can be a problem. I got some blueberries yesterday though and they were delicious (but v expensive eek). Great suggestion though. Keep them coming!

Frozen grapes!!

Trust me on this one... once frozen, they're like little balls of sorbet, just delish, and so sweet!!... :D

xx

Ooh I like that idea!!

Have rediscovered whole food - I used to be really into it years ago. Rice cakes with sugar free carob spread are surprisingly yummy and satisfying without giving you a sugar rush/crash. Mmmmm. Satisfies my need for something crunchy to replace biscuits too!

Frozen grapes!!

Trust me on this one... once frozen, they're like little balls of sorbet, just delish, and so sweet!!... :D

xx

I used to looooove frozen grapes. Better than any ice cream or anything! SO delicious. :)

Health food shops are pretty good for finding nice and healthy snacks that just aren't stocked in standard grocery shops. Great for inspiration! Just got to look out for things that are too high in sugar or have way too many calories due to some high ground-nut content (RAW bars come to mind...)

:)

I don't think I'm eating enough at lunch time as I'm always hungry when it's time to catch the train home, which can be a problem. I got some blueberries yesterday though and they were delicious (but v expensive eek). Great suggestion though. Keep them coming!

I always have a hunger attack on the train home whatever I eat at lunchtime so I keep a little pot of raisins in my bag to munch on if need be! I don't eat my dinner until after the kids are in bed (so about 8/8.30 by the time I've cooked it) so need something to see me through!!!

Lx

Back