Healthy Xmas Buffet Ideas

I just read this thread and I'm hungry now, all of these buffet ideas are fab! I love a good buffet. Makes me wish I was hosting some sort of party this xmas so I could make all this stuff! Mmmm devilled eggs:drool:

Pete’s Party Food
Veg Sticks
Pakoras
Veg Samosas (1syn each)
Mini Falafels
Pigs in Blankets on a cocktail stick
Mozzarella, Tomato & fresh Basil leaf on a cocktail stick
Chopped fresh fruit on a cocktail stick
Slices of cooked ham or beef rolled up on a cocktail stick

Veg Sticks

Peel the vegetable, plunge into boiling water for 1-2mins then remove & drop into iced water to stop cooking then dry and store in a sealed container in the fridge until the meal is ready.

Pakoras

1 red onion, diced
½ large bag of frozen chopped vegetable mix
2 tbsp. curry powder (use mild, medium or hot to suit your own taste)
3-4 tbsp. fat free yogurt
1 egg, beaten
2 large white potatoes, cooked and mashed

Pre heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Place the mashed potato, diced onion and defrosted vegetables into a bowl and combine thoroughly.

Stir the curry powder into the yogurt and add this to the vegetable mix and stir thoroughly.
Beat the egg and add it to the mixture, stirring constantly. The mix should still be quite firm.
Line a baking tray/wire rack with baking paper to prevent to pakoras from sticking, and spoon the mixture onto the tray in tablespoon sized 'dollops'.
Spray with Fry Light and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes - or until firm on the outside and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly so that the pakoras firm up.

Veg Samosas (makes 36 )(1syn each)

1/2tsp garam masala
1/2tsp chilli powder
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp hot madras curry powder
1/2tsp garlic salt
1tsp Amchoor powder
1tsp ground coriander
1 onion, finely chopped
6 Jus Rol Filo pastry sheets (each sheet is 6 syns but is cut into 6=1 syn)
4 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked & mashed
110g frozen peas
1 red chilli, deseeded & chopped

In a microwave cook the peas for 5 mins, set aside. In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light cook the curry powder, Amchoor, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garlic salt, coriander, onion, potatoes & peas and stir-fry for 5 mins.
Remove from the heat and add the red chilli, garam masala, season well and set aside.
Heat the oven to 180c, line a baking tray with baking parchment. Working quickly, place six filo sheets on top of each other and cut in half, then cut each half into three strips lengthways giving you 36 pieces, lay out and spray with Fry Light, place a spoonful of the mixture at the bottom of the strip and fold diagonally to enclose the ingredients and form a triangle, press down and fold again until you reach the end, seal the edge down with a pastry brush dipped in water. Repeat until all 36 are made.
Place on a tray and spray with Fry Light and bake for 12-13 mins or until golden in colour, serve while warm.

Mini Falafels

2 Wholemeal slices of bread
1 400g chickpeas
1tsp cumin
1egg
2tbsp chopped coriander
1 red chilli
100g Roasted red peppers
25g Chives
2 spring onions

In a food processor reduce the ingredients to a smooth paste, put in a small bowl and cover, place in the fridge until the mixture is firm, remove and form into small size “burgers”
Heat a frying pan and spray with Fry Light, cook in batches on both sides, remove and allow cooling.

Pigs in Blankets

1 pack of Sainsbury’s be good to yourself extra lean Cumberland sausages
(0.5 syn each)
1 pack of smoked bacon (16 slices)

Slice and skin all the sausages and remove the meat, mix together and roll out into 24 small rolls of sausage meat, completely cover the sausage with a part rasher of the bacon, place on a baking tray sprayed with Fry Light, spray the sausages and cook at 180c until cooked, remove and allow to cool, when cool insert a cocktail stick in each one.

Chopped Fresh Fruit

Wash the fruit and cut into bite size pieces, place in a bowl with a small amount of lemon juice, shake to cover all the fruit, then pierce them with a cocktail stick and mix the type of fruit.

Sliced Cooked Meat

Slice the cooked meat into 25mm strips, roll into a sausage shape and pierce with a cocktail stick.

Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil leaves
Cut the mozzarella & tomatoes into small squares and pierce them with a cocktail stick with the basil leaf in between the cheese & tomato.

Pakoras-2Small-1.jpg

Samosas-2Small.jpg

FalafelsSmall.jpg

Indian Style Papadoms!! That goes with everything and is healthy, too!

It is? :confused: I suppose if you only stuck to one its not too bad, but personally I couldnt...

bilsat said:
Pete’s Party Food
Veg Sticks
Pakoras
Veg Samosas (1syn each)
Mini Falafels
Pigs in Blankets on a cocktail stick
Mozzarella, Tomato & fresh Basil leaf on a cocktail stick
Chopped fresh fruit on a cocktail stick
Slices of cooked ham or beef rolled up on a cocktail stick

Veg Sticks

Peel the vegetable, plunge into boiling water for 1-2mins then remove & drop into iced water to stop cooking then dry and store in a sealed container in the fridge until the meal is ready.

Pakoras

1 red onion, diced
½ large bag of frozen chopped vegetable mix
2 tbsp. curry powder (use mild, medium or hot to suit your own taste)
3-4 tbsp. fat free yogurt
1 egg, beaten
2 large white potatoes, cooked and mashed

Pre heat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Place the mashed potato, diced onion and defrosted vegetables into a bowl and combine thoroughly.

Stir the curry powder into the yogurt and add this to the vegetable mix and stir thoroughly.
Beat the egg and add it to the mixture, stirring constantly. The mix should still be quite firm.
Line a baking tray/wire rack with baking paper to prevent to pakoras from sticking, and spoon the mixture onto the tray in tablespoon sized 'dollops'.
Spray with Fry Light and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes - or until firm on the outside and golden brown. Allow to cool slightly so that the pakoras firm up.

Veg Samosas (makes 36 )(1syn each)

1/2tsp garam masala
1/2tsp chilli powder
1/2tsp turmeric
1/2tsp cumin
1/2tsp hot madras curry powder
1/2tsp garlic salt
1tsp Amchoor powder
1tsp ground coriander
1 onion, finely chopped
6 Jus Rol Filo pastry sheets (each sheet is 6 syns but is cut into 6=1 syn)
4 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked & mashed
110g frozen peas
1 red chilli, deseeded & chopped

In a microwave cook the peas for 5 mins, set aside. In a frying pan sprayed with Fry Light cook the curry powder, Amchoor, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, garlic salt, coriander, onion, potatoes & peas and stir-fry for 5 mins.
Remove from the heat and add the red chilli, garam masala, season well and set aside.
Heat the oven to 180c, line a baking tray with baking parchment. Working quickly, place six filo sheets on top of each other and cut in half, then cut each half into three strips lengthways giving you 36 pieces, lay out and spray with Fry Light, place a spoonful of the mixture at the bottom of the strip and fold diagonally to enclose the ingredients and form a triangle, press down and fold again until you reach the end, seal the edge down with a pastry brush dipped in water. Repeat until all 36 are made.
Place on a tray and spray with Fry Light and bake for 12-13 mins or until golden in colour, serve while warm.

Mini Falafels

2 Wholemeal slices of bread
1 400g chickpeas
1tsp cumin
1egg
2tbsp chopped coriander
1 red chilli
100g Roasted red peppers
25g Chives
2 spring onions

In a food processor reduce the ingredients to a smooth paste, put in a small bowl and cover, place in the fridge until the mixture is firm, remove and form into small size “burgers”
Heat a frying pan and spray with Fry Light, cook in batches on both sides, remove and allow cooling.

Pigs in Blankets

1 pack of Sainsbury’s be good to yourself extra lean Cumberland sausages
(0.5 syn each)
1 pack of smoked bacon (16 slices)

Slice and skin all the sausages and remove the meat, mix together and roll out into 24 small rolls of sausage meat, completely cover the sausage with a part rasher of the bacon, place on a baking tray sprayed with Fry Light, spray the sausages and cook at 180c until cooked, remove and allow to cool, when cool insert a cocktail stick in each one.

Chopped Fresh Fruit

Wash the fruit and cut into bite size pieces, place in a bowl with a small amount of lemon juice, shake to cover all the fruit, then pierce them with a cocktail stick and mix the type of fruit.

Sliced Cooked Meat

Slice the cooked meat into 25mm strips, roll into a sausage shape and pierce with a cocktail stick.

Mozzarella, Tomato & Basil leaves
Cut the mozzarella & tomatoes into small squares and pierce them with a cocktail stick with the basil leaf in between the cheese & tomato.

Yum yum yum!!! Thanks so much for posting these, will deffo be trying them!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

How about cheese and onion smash scones?

1 packet cheese and onion smash
1 tub low fat / fat free cottage cheese (200g)
2 large eggs (or 3 medium)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl into a firm dough. ( no water in the smash, use it dry like flour. )
Portion out onto a frylight sprayed baking tray.
Bake in oven at about 180 for 15-20 mins until golden brown.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

ColJack said:
How about cheese and onion smash scones?

1 packet cheese and onion smash
1 tub low fat / fat free cottage cheese (200g)
2 large eggs (or 3 medium)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl into a firm dough. ( no water in the smash, use it dry like flour. )
Portion out onto a frylight sprayed baking tray.
Bake in oven at about 180 for 15-20 mins until golden brown.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

This is such a good idea ,thanks for sharing.
But are they synned ?

Somebody in my SW group brought these the other week for a taster...ideal for Christmas party buffets although not sure if strawberries are still in the shops.

syn free santa.jpg

You just cut off the pointy bit of the strawberry so it sits flat, fill the body with quark for the face and beard and put back the pointy bit as a hat. They didn't last long in our groups taster night.

been looking at all the ideas on here.. all sound so gorgeous and not in the least bit diety!!.
to incorporate most of the foods on here would you go for an extra easy day so that you could have say for example the filled jacket potatoes and mini smash pizzas and then slices of cold meats kfs chicken etc??

Personally I wont be doing any particular plan or actually counting any syns, it just wont be practical. Its more about damage limitation for me.

If theres healthier stuff on there to start with I can eat it - if there isn't I cant and I will stuff my face on sausage rolls and Pringles and turn into a balloon :rolleyes:

But I guess if you really are going to count stuff and stick to plan (you raving lunatic! :D ) EE would be easiest? But then it depends what stuff you're cooking really, if you dont make any meaty things you may as well go Green.

Somebody in my SW group brought these the other week for a taster...ideal for Christmas party buffets although not sure if strawberries are still in the shops.

View attachment 22672

You just cut off the pointy bit of the strawberry so it sits flat, fill the body with quark for the face and beard and put back the pointy bit as a hat. They didn't last long in our groups taster night.

Wow - these look brilliant - thanks so much - ive got taster night next monday and im a shocking cook (seriously) these will be fab. Thank you so much :)

I wanted to do those starwberry santa things , burt went to asda and they had no strawberrys !!! Grrr ~So i will try and get some tomorrow , if not I will make the smash scones ):

View attachment 22672

I adore these, so cute! Sorry for sounding dumb though, but what are the eyes made from?

Would love to take these in for taster next Tuesday, I think our group would love them! :) xx

I think Rudolph's eaten all the strawberries :( Wrong season for Santas :(

I did them , although They dont look as good as the other ones !
Not sure what syn value they are though , they have 2 milk chocolate chips on them ... What do you think ?

20111214141937.jpg

By lovelea2012 at 2011-12-14

I did them , although They dont look as good as the other ones !
Not sure what syn value they are though , they have 2 milk chocolate chips on them ... What do you think ?

20111214141937.jpg

By lovelea2012 at 2011-12-14

Ah they look totally fab! :D Kinda like a Santa version of Antony Gormley! :8855:

field1.jpg

Back