Help!! Can i have cranberry juice??

stef2009

Gold Member
Ladies does anyone know if i can have cranberry juice without going out of ketosis??
Been up all night in agony its either cystitus or water infection, i used to get them all the time when i didnt drink enough and yesterday i hardly drank atall so my own fault!

It has 480 cals in the hole carton, 116g of sugar, 0g fat, 0g salt and it does have citric acid in.

Many thanks xxx

Citric acid is a no no. Although some people seem not to get kicked out of ketosis with it but I guess it would be up to you if you are willing to risk it. On the other hand, if you have pain and discomfort personally I would take anything that made me feel better as if anything you would only likely be out of ketosis a little amount and it shouldnt be a struggle to get back into it

Yeah im in alot of pain :( So think im gonna have it, will just have to deal with going back into ketosis all over again damnit. Thanks hun x

That does have a very high sugar content (sugar = carbs) but if you need it you need it. Hope you feel better soon

does cranberry really help then ? I never found it did for me
Could you get something from the pharmacy and skip the juice

Got this info from the NHS website and it says cranberry juice isnt effective

The symptoms of cystitis usually clear up without treatment within 4-9 days. There are some self-help treatments that can ease the discomfort of any symptoms, or your GP may prescribe antibiotics.
Self-help treatments

If you've had cystitis before and you're sure that you have mild cystitis and don't need to see your GP, there are treatments that you can try yourself.

Over-the-counter (OTC) painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen. These can reduce pain and discomfort. Always read the label and check with your pharmacist first, particularly if you have any other medical condition, you are taking other medicines, or you're pregnant or breastfeeding.
Drinking plenty of water is often recommended as a treatment for cystitis. There's no evidence that this is helpful, although drinking around 1.2 litres (6-8 glasses) of water a day is generally good for your health. Also avoid alcohol.
Don't have sex until your cystitis has cleared up because having sex can make it worse.

The following treatments are no longer recommended because there isn't enough evidence of their effectiveness:
urine alkanising agents, such as sodium bicarbonate or potassium citrate
drinking cranberry juice – although this may help to prevent outbreaks of recurrent cystitis

Find out some useful tips on preventing cystitis.
Antibiotics

If your symptoms are moderate or severe, your GP may prescribe a short course of antibiotics. This will usually involve taking a tablet 2-4 times a day, for three days.
For a more complicated case of cystitis, such as cystitis with another underlying infection, you may be given antibiotics for 5-10 days. Find out more about cystitis complications.
Research suggests that antibiotics can shorten an attack of cystitis by 1-2 days.
If your cystitis symptoms are only mild, your GP may prefer not to prescribe antibiotics to avoid ‘antibiotic resistance’. This is when the bacteria that cause cystitis adapt and learn to survive the antibiotics. Over time, this means that the treatment becomes less effective.
Recurring cystitis

If you keep getting cystitis (known as having recurring cystitis) your doctor may prescribe stand-by antibiotics or continuous antibiotics. A stand-by antibiotic is a prescription for you to take the next time you have cystitis, without needing to visit your GP again.
Continuous antibiotics are antibiotics that you take for several months to prevent further episodes of cystitis. These may be prescribed for two reasons:
if your cystitis usually occurs after having sex, you may be given a prescription for antibiotics to take within two hours of having sex
if your cystitis is not related to having sex, you may be given a low-dose antibiotic to take for a trial period of six months
If you are prescribed antibiotics, your symptoms should start to improve after the first day of taking them. If your symptoms don't improve after your course of antibiotics, go back to see your GP, or call NHS Direct on 0845 4647.
Find out more about:

Well as i used to suffer alot from cystitus and water infections i drank cranberry juice to prevent it and it worked but i stopped drinking it about a month ago, i find cranberry juice takes away the burning and its that i cant cope with!

Ive had 3 litres of water already, so tryna slow down abit as ive got all day and night yet..

I have the cystitus saches, i have about 6 boxes! Im gonna skip the cranberry juice and go for the sachets.

Really really just do not want to kick myself out of ketosis i would be so mad, especially after just completing my first week!!

Thankyou ladies xxx

Yes, It does say that cranberry juice is effective for preventing it , but not treating it once you have it

I think that you work so hard to get into ketosis that it is a shame when you get kicked out especially if you can avoid it

Having said that Im in and out of it all the time , so hardly a great advocate for playing by the rules ;-)

hope you get some relief soon , I used to get it alot when I was younger and I know it can be excruciating

Would deffo recommend the sachet things that dissolve in water. That and just flush your system with water but not all in one go. Give your body time to do what it needs. Hope you feel better soon xx

Have you tried natural yoghurt? Worked for me, for the burning.

You can get cranberry pills I think, in health food shops, like extract of cranberry that may be better diet-wise than the juice.

Yup natural yog is the way forward!!.....I used to suffer terribly when I was younger and used to soak a tampon in natural yogurt (sorry if TMI) hope this helps with the burning x

Exactly what I'd do too. Though I've found I suffer very seldom since I started drinking such large amounts and stopped having any sugar fizzy drinks. Used to live on Tizar Ice- when you could get it- but it had no diet or sugar free one!

I know that people say that cranberry juice doesn't help when you actually have an attack of this but believe me it helps me hugely to reduce the awful burning feeling. I have a carton of Ocean Spray light handy for just such an emergency which is only 20 calories for a 250ml glass and 3.5g of carbs. I also have the sachets to hand too after a really awful attack a year or so back. Never had one since of course since I stocked up :) but that's all good.

Thanks for all advice ladies, thought id cleared it up but seems to have made an appearence again through the night ahhhh!! Gonna get some yogurt and the cranberry drops today, if i can find them!! x

Bloody awful water infections are! especially on a vlcd because you go to the loo more anyway, so with the added buring feeling everytime you wee must be agony! OUCH!!! im sat here clinching my legs together.lol, hope you get it sorted :) xx

I use Ural for infections - dissolvable in water, hope you feel better soon.

Back