HELP from mummys who have breastfed and given a bottle.

oh hun, big hugs! Youve just got to perserve with it, i know you are going to worry but he will be fine! Worst case scenario you have to come home. I went out for a meal a couple of weeks ago and i panciked she wouldnt settle for OH becuase he nevers puts her to bed but guess what she didnt wake up one. Ok i know its different as its food, has he got a routine as in he has a feed at this time then his next and so on? Just thinking if you can work round that? Em x

Yea he has feed, the bath then bed. ( dont like associating food with sleeping) and thats him down by about 8pm.
The thetre show starts at 8pm so might be able to do his routine. But yet he wont go to bed if anyone else puts him apart from me :(

I think I would, in that case, probably wake him a little bit earlier than usual on his last nap before the night time routine. Then start the night time routine in time for him to be down by 7.30 at the latest. He can't read the clock so he won't be any the wiser and you can go and enjoy your night.

If he does wake up while you are out, and he totally refuses the bottle, you can blame me. But the chances are you will come home refreshed from a lovely evening and be relieved that you had nothing to worry about anyway!!

Oh, and one more thing. Put your phone on vibrate and absolutely resist all thoughts of calling to see how he is. Your sister/babysitter can still contact you in an emergency, but this is time for the two of you to just focus on each other and you need the break!!

It's so hard isn't it? Remeber whilst babies love routine, they can't tell the time. It's doing things in the right order that count, not at what time you do them!
I was lucky, I bf both mine, one for a year, the next one had one tase of mashed banana at 6months, and has never drunk milk, mine, formula or cow, again. She's nearly 8 now. Both would switch from me to bottle, breast to formula as I wanted really. Must have been lucky. I bf them mainly, but they stayed the ight at my mums, where she gave them bottles. I remember my Mum saying when my eldest was about 4 months, i you ever want to go out again, and leave her with me, best you stat doing it whilst she's this age. It'll get harder for both of you, not easier. Dunno if she was just dying for a go, but it worked.

i just want a break. He is with nme 24/7 and right now i want to make something to eat and i have to keep going up and down stairs which i do every night ready for bed. I do it alone when i have a husband and it just makes it infuriating. xxx

oh hun im going to say those cr*ppy words that you dont believe but it does get better! Sophie from day one was a cryey baby, nothing made her happy. Shed cry the majority of the day and then moreso at night with colic. She never slept, she wouldnt sleep in the car or the pram, everywhere i went she cried then one day it just stopped. She is alot happier now shes more independant, she loves playing with her toys, being in the babywalker etc. Naptimes are still a issue but i can cope with that now everything else is right. I know what its like to do it on your own even though you have a partner/husband. My oh works alot, he has never got up with her, put her to bed etc its all me. Em x

Its so hard, but you need to have a break. Introducing your little one to a bottle will give you a break as also you may find that he will also sleep better as he will be fuller. I had to go straight to the bottle with my son as he was so hungry. They pick up if you are stressed out as well.
A week before for example start changing his routine slightly so by the time that you come to going out he is more used to his new routine. You cant help but worry as a mum especially the first time you go out, but if he is with someone that you know well then he will be fine.
The fuller they are the happier they will be.
My first son ate and slept, my second son hardly slept during the day at all.
Getting the routine right now is of the uttermost important for YOU and your little one.
Just make sure that you book that night out, having quality time together is so important.

the night out is tomorrow lol.

hubby just called and i burst into tears. i just want one night off in 6 months is that too much to ask?
xxx

it is scary isnt it how similar things are, i admire how you are keeping to the diet. i Tried to do it when soph was so colicky and i just couldnt, i didnt have the energy and just lived on biscuits!! i didnt have time to cook and wasnt going to bed till gone 11 then up at 1,5 then 6 to start the day. Em x

I do know the feeling. Hubbie worked away Monday to Saturday every week. Then I also did my final dissertation and final exams for my degree before she was 10 weeks too. I do know how hard it is. Honest. Infacol really really helped me. I didn't want to, but gave up and took her to Tesco at half 3 one morning cos I could handle no more. I then started to give her a drop before every feed. It did amke the world of diference

I do know the feeling. Hubbie worked away Monday to Saturday every week. Then I also did my final dissertation and final exams for my degree before she was 10 weeks too. I do know how hard it is. Honest. Infacol really really helped me. I didn't want to, but gave up and took her to Tesco at half 3 one morning cos I could handle no more. I then started to give her a drop before every feed. It did amke the world of diference

? infacol you talking to me? lol.
xxx

Have you tasted the milk to check it's OK? Some women have a lot of lipase (an enzyme) in their milk and it can cause their expressed milk to taste soapy or sour even when it's been stored correctly. This can be a reason for a baby not taking expressed milk.

I'm so sorry to hear the doidy cup didn't work. If it's any consolation, we tried one many times with my son and it didn't work either. We found the soft-spouted Tommee Tippee the best sippy cup to start with.

Sorry to butt in but I just wanted to give you my angle on this. My brother and his wife had a baby, he's nearly 3 now, but he was exclusively breast fed and had never had a bottle, never even been tried. Then when he was only 9 weeks old my sil took very ill and was rushed to hospital. All of a sudden I was left quite literally holding the baby. The first bottle I tried him with he refused completely and also the second. I think I was able to stay calm and a little detached from the whole thing because he wasn't mine. Eventually when I knew he was really, really hungry I offered another bottle and he slugged the whole lot down without hardly drawing breath! After that there was no problem at all. The point I am trying to make, and it has already been mentioned, is that babies are not stupid, their whole being revolves around survival and while they might very well prefer the breast, when push comes to shove and it's a matter of survival, they'll take food any way it comes. If you have total confidence in your babysitter then leave her to it, she'll manage, even if he won't take a feed from her its' only a couple of hours and then she gets to hand him back to you, no stress. And he certainly can't starve in that short space of time. Relax, babies are very resilient, have a great night out and let us know how it goes!

KB

I totally agree with above!!
Babies also know how to get what they want. Almost born with an inate ability. It's only when they realise that they are not getting the milk exactly how they want, that they will give in. In many ways because this has happened now, and by holding out he has got what he wanted, it may take longer for the baby to give in next time. But he will. A baby will not starve becuase he doesn't fancy what is on offer. Some may hold oput longer than others, but they won't starve

infacol never worked for me, my hv told me that breastfed babies dont get colic..yeah right! In the end i ended up buying dr brown bottles which helped alot. I hope you are feeling less stressed hun, i really hope you can enjoy the time with your hubby, as it sounds like you need it. Take care xxx

tis true he may be sensing your stress !

And yes i was told that breastfed babies dont get colic, but our 1st had it terrible. We ended up using nelsons teething powders cos they seemed to help relax her even tho she wasnt teething. Our 2nd didnt seem to get it thankfully

A bit off topic but when are you going to start to wean him? he is nearly six months isn't he?

Have you tried giving him milk from a spoon? xx

hes doing whats called baby led weaning hun.

no pureeing or anything he just eats what we eat.....but he doesnt get the calories needed for it to be classed as a meal yet, he just learning to mush it round his mouth at the moment but by 8 or so months he should be able to eat stuff like pitta and humus and jacket and beans etc. Just easier and makes it fun for them.

have a look at these pics of him enjoying broccoli and baby sweetcorn i took yesterday lol.

Loving his sweetcorn.

28253_10150191130025237_786540236_12847723_5981111_n.jpg

Arranging his food how he likes it lol...

28253_10150191129955237_786540236_12847715_2775529_n.jpg

BLW is fun but messy hehe, i do both :). Sophs favourite is cheese, breadsticks and toast! She pretty much eats anything nowadays, her favourite mushy meal is her nannys roast dinner lol x

oh breadsticks never thought of that! He loves cheese and also banana on toast! BUT goes mad for Gherkins!xxx

Back