HELP from mummys who have breastfed and given a bottle.

i tried her with houmous the other day ( i dont eat it ) at a bbq and she like that to, just dipped a cucumber stick in it. I got mini breadsticks from tesco, blw is also handy when you are out shopping etc. Darylea sandwhiches go down a treat! x

cool i may be coming to you with tips then lol.
when do they actually start to munch and get the food as actual food if you know what i mean?
x

when do they actually start to munch and get the food as actual food if you know what i mean?
x
He's probably taking in more than you think, but in answer to your question I think my son was probably 10 months when he really started to get it and eat bigger amounts. BLW feels sooooo slow in the beginning, but don't worry they are taking bits in, improving their fine motor skills and learning about taste/texture all the time. It does all come together in the end and they're all different. He's 2.5 now has has never been spoonfed or had a puree either.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but the bottle we used whilst I was breast feeding actually mimicked(?) the breast, the teat looked like a nipple & the milk was placed in a bag in the bottle holder, so when baby sucks there is no air getting in.

I can't remember who makes these but worth a try.

Well we went..... it was fab but i kept my phone in my hand (ho hum)

I gave him a big feed before i left and i didnt say bye in case he knew i was going and my sister just was reading him his book and the minute the front door shut he looked up and was searching for me and then the bottom lip was out for about five mins and then he cried solidly for 45 mins. :(
She ended up taking him for a walk and he fell asleep and he has been asleep since phew!!!

I am going to maybe try and introduce some pureed foods IN CASE so that i know and i am happy that he can be fed. I will mainly do blw which i love but i need to know he can eat if i get taken ill or something. thanks for all the advice guys. x
xxxx

Awww, glad you had a good night, and that he settled eventually. I was wondering how you got on, so thanks for letting us know! He will be right pleased to see you in the morning, and he will get the hang of other people looking after him from time to time! Good idea to introduce a little backup food though, so you can allow others to take care of him now and again. Just remember that no harm will come to him with a short period of separation from you, and that you and your hubby DO need that quality time together, now and again, and a break from the routine of parenting.

The first time is always the hardest, but dont be put off by him crying for you, he was well taken care of and your sister knew how to settle him. Little ones always do that, but a bit of distraction works wonders, especially as they get a bit bigger and get more interested in toys.

Glad you had a good time hun! The blw question you asked, well i started weaning sophie at 4 months and now she is nearly 8 i would say she gets 50-75% of finger foods. I mainly do finger foods at lunch so i always follow with a yogurt so i know she is full.
Hopefully you can start going out more regulary with OH? One thing that sophie hasnt/doesnt do is cry for me! I know i said as a baby (newborn) she would cry all the time etc but now she is a social butterfly and is happy to be left with anybody. My mum has her if i need go the doctors etc and MIl had her when i went to have my hair done and shes always fine, but i do get the biggest smile when i come back in. xx

See he is my right arm and as much as he misses me i miss him :( I dunno if i could do it too often just for the sake of it lol.

Also he slept through!!!!! Woke once cos our annoying cat who has a foghorn of a cry was going off for no reason. But apart from that slept till 6.30am. xxx

arw what a good boy :), i wish sophie would lol, i mean it has got so much better but it would be amazing to not havbe to get out of bed till morning lol! Are you going back to work or SAHM? 7 weeks till im back at work :-( x

You just have to persist with the bottle, i didnt try it until she was 6 months and she didnt like it at first but then took to it and didnt want the breast anymore. So they all different i suppose.

Nice to read you had a good night out - I bet it felt great to have you and hubby time?

BLW is great but you shouldn't feel bad for pureeing stuff. I have seen some babies who just don't get BLW and would rather be spoonfed up until 18 months. It doesn't matter :)

Hiya hun - I'm so glad you had a good time, even though you were worrying about your son.

I breastfed my son till he was 10.5 months.
We did combined BLW and spoonfeeding and by 10.5 months he just didn't want milk anymore - would have a 5 min suck at night and that was it.
I do have to say though that my son has never been left with anyone, mainly due to us not living near any family members so not having anyone really to leave him with. When we do leave him with anyone now he does cry for a bit as he's not used to it. I would advise leaving him with a family member every so often in order to get him used to the fact that you will come back to him.
Now we've moved closer to family I'm planning on leaving my son with my parents one afternoon a week so he gets used to being left with them. My son will be 2 next month so he's a fair bit older than yours but he still puts up a protest when we try and leave him.

Back