Help - How do you choose a target if you've always been overweight?!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by wanna b a yummy mummy, 12 October 2009 Social URL.

Post New ThreadFind New
  1. wanna b a yummy mummy

wanna b a yummy mummy Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.78%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Just wondered how everyone picks their final target. Originally my target was 12 and a half stone which is what I weighed when I left school.

I'm fitting into size 12s now and that was all I wanted to be able to do but I'm still not within the healthy bmi range for my height (5'8").

Various people are saying 'you're fine as you are/don't lose anymore, etc, etc' and I've never had much faith in my own opinions so I don't know what to do!

Sorry - what a moaner but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    Christine xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. scouzer

scouzer Want to do it this time!!

Start Weight:
    17st5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st11lb(16.05%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    In my opinion, you should maintain when you feel completely comfortable and happy with yourself. If you've always been overweight then I can understand that it's hard to set a final target weight.
    You mentioned your BMI and I think that's a great way to find an average weight for your height and bone structure.
    Don't worry about it, when you get to the weight your meant to be at, you'll just know. ;)

Scouzer. x

4. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think when your body is struggling to lose 1/2lb a week then you know you're pretty near target. That's what I'm using for my basis anyway!

5. Sarah-Jayne

Sarah-Jayne Gold Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I agree with Stacey, however, you should set your target to what ever you feel most comfortable at. If you reach your target weight and then decide that you want to loose a little more, if your body lets you then do it mate.

6. JestersTear

JestersTear Cute, but psycho!

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've yet to set myself a final target as my 'ideal' is still yonks away...

7. leniloo

leniloo Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I set my target at 10stone - nice and round lol and within my healthy BMI - from past experience, it's also an easy weight to maintain for myself without sticking to any diet strictly. Although I need to be aware otherwise I put 2 stone lol (past experience!)

8. wanna b a yummy mummy

wanna b a yummy mummy Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.78%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks for your advice - I do still feel I have more to lose and when I'm 100% on plan I'm still having good losses so my body must be happy to still be losing the weight. I think I was just having a crisis of confidence about where I'm headed!

Will head towards a healthy bmi and see how I feel after that.

Thanks again
    Christine xx

9. cocktailprincess

cocktailprincess Still rockin' it

Start Weight:
    18st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    8st1lb(42.64%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World - On-line member
    I am in the same position.

Originally I set a goal of 13 stone as that was the lowest I have ever weighed in my adult life and I liked how I looked. I changed it not long after as somehow I just KNEW that this time my weight loss was going to be really successful, so I decided for getting in the 'healthy' BMI range which for me means 10 stone 13- coincidentally this will mean an 8 stone loss.

People are already starting to tell me I have lost enough and shouldn't carry on- but I will know when I get there. I am still open to changing my mind if I decide to stop before my goal OR if I get to goal and still feel I want to lose some........ it's just so difficult to gauge if you have never been thin!
    x

10. Sticky

Sticky I will succeed!!!

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    12st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(4.59%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I would just carry on until you feel happy and know it's maintainable. In my opinion BMI is a load of poo anyway - it's misleading and, I feel, a tad dangerous as it can make people stress about their weight when it's not needed because it only considers basic information.

Plus, a chart of weights V heights and BMI doesn't equate to health, happiness or anything else that matters...so pffft to BMI ;-)

So do what feels good to you and well done on the loss so far xxx

couteaux likes this.
  11. Leapfrog

Leapfrog Champion actifryer

Start Weight:
    84kg
    Current Weight:
    71.5kg
    Goal Weight:
    65kg
    Lost(%):
    12.5kg(14.9%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I too set my target at 141 lbs (64 kilos) but I reached that in August and still feel I'm a bit flabby round the middle, so I adjusted it down to a round figure (no pun intended!) of 60 kilos or 132 lbs. It's your shout - not up to those who say you look fine.

12. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

It's up to you hun and no-one else! People will tell you that you look great and don't need to lose any more, but that is probably because you have lost so much and look great but you only you will know if you are happy at that weight.
    Don't worry too much about BMI, I agree with Sticky, it's only a guide anyway. I'm at the top end of my healthy range and to be "ideal" I need to lose another stone. Not gonna happen!!

Keep assessing how you feel as you lose each couple of pound for example, you will know when you get there. Don't set it so low that you struggle to maintain, and the others are right, when you really struggle to lose any more weight, it's time to stop! You have less than a stone to lose hun but if you stop after half a stone, it doesn't matter if you are happy.

13. Wacky Jacky

Wacky Jacky Size 10 in time for 2010!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st5lb(38.53%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Christine ~ I reckon the advice you've been given above is all pretty good, remember that it's YOUR body, YOUR weight and YOUR target!

Having met you in person, I think you look lovely! Having looked at your "before" photos, I can see why others may well be saying you're "fine as you are", I get the same thing now ........... it's good in some ways isn't it? I know I want to lose another 4 1/2lbs coz I've set a 10st target because it sounds like a nice number, lol - so I'm still aiming for that, and I know I'll feel great about it the closer I come to it!

I don't think it's what anyone else thinks what size / weight that you should be that matters to you, or me or anyone else for that matter, it's all about what YOU think that matters!

The BMI debate that always has people arguing their side is all very well and good, and I reckon it really should be thought of as a "guide" and not something set in stone!

All the best to you and remember to give yourself a pat on the back for the weightloss so far girl!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.