HELP - How to get veg into meals??

randomberry

Im not used to eating vegetables at all... So my first attempt was to buy loads of veg and go "oh i could have that with that and then cook that with that" and guess what.... yeah... 80% of the veg I bought had to be thrown away as I just left it in the fridge without using it...

I am going from 5/6 pizzas a week to making pasta bakes etc but I am not getting a good amount of veg a day, maybe 2/3 times a week i will have a portion...

so Im looking for some tips and advice on how to EASILY introduce veg into meals and what the best vegs are to use.

oh i put veg in EVERYTHING!! lol
carrots,celery peppers,onions, mushrooms, tomatoes in a bolagnaise for example!

or roast peppers, onion, courgette, butternut squash, garlic and cherry tomatoes and serve with chicken breast wrapped in bacon!! one of my favs!!

what kind of food would u like to eat?..i generally use veg to bulk up meals rather than a side serving..mainly so kids dont realise they are eating so much veg!

cottage pie u can put in onion, garlic, carrots and peas (anything u want really) and top with mashed swede..or mixed mashedpotato and swede

This is something I have had to adapt to aswell!

As with above I tend to mix it into meals, I grate celery and carrot into spag bol, pasta bakes etc. I don't/can't eat lettuce so for the chicken breast pizza thingy I'll put peppers/mushrooms/onion on, with cheese, then have sw chips, and sliced cucumber and a small bit of sweetcorn. I tend not to buy a large variety of veg, and I buy frozen if possible so it doesn't get wasted.

i usually have mushrooms with everything lol
and tomatos
but if im cooking like a spag bog i put celery carrots garlic chopped toms in
or if i fancy some fish ill have a salad with it
or jacket pot beans n salad

i just go by the rule that if i cant put my superfree IN it then ill have a salad with it

sound horrible puttin celery in spag bol but once cooked you dont even know its there,

I noticed you like to eat pasta dishes. This is probably one of the easiest dishes to incorporate veggies into.

I regularly eat pasta with a creamy vegetable sauce, really yummy and so simple to make! Just chop up a load of mushrooms, a red onion, and a red/yellow pepper. Season with garlic and chilli flakes and fry off in a pan with frylight (I also add chicken breast pieces now and again for a bit of variety). Add half a can of chopped tomatoes and stir well. Remove from the heat and stir in 1tbsp quark. Serve over pasta, and voi la! Simple as that.

It might be easiest to make it part of the meal and not the side to the meal iykwim. If I put a load of veg at the side of the plate I'm tempted to ignore it for the parts of the meal I prefer but if you make a ratatouille or stew you can't really avoid it!

I find that getting frozen veg helps a lot too. Instead of having to prepare a load of veg I can just grab it and chuck it in a pan. It also means there's no waste which is always good!

Put veg in a pan with stock cubes and onion and cook until fairly soft, blend and eat soup. You can eat this free before a main meal or on its own with a couple of small slices of toast.

I plan meals by deciding on the vegetables first, and how I am going to cook them (usually either steaming or roasting, NEVER boiling). At least three different kinds. Maybe green beans, butternut squash, and courgettes, for instance. Then I decide what I am going to have with them. These days I like the vegetables better than the rest of the meal!

I love veg and eat so much of it! Pak choi being my new fave and I find spinach goes with everything! I love my steamer too! I do find it hard to have 2/3 SF though but this is my focus this week x

You could make up some nice veggie soups!? I always have some soup in the fridge that you can snack on or have with a salad? X

How about boiling up a load of veg in a bit of stock and then pureeing it? You can add it to all your sauces then!!! I used to do this for my autistic son as he's really intolerant to the texture of foods. Might help while you adapt to all the veggie.

Back