HELP!!! I'm an emotional/binge eater.

Jacko20

Hi can anyone help me out, I suffer with binge eating & am desperate to lose some weight as I am the biggest I have ever been. Normally I do weight watchers but I am finding that dieting actually triggers my binge sessions, I really don't know what to do I'm fed up of been fat but can't lose the weight. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks :mad:)

Don't look at it as dieting. Start off small. Cut back on sodas. Then fast food. And chocolate/sweets. You don't have to cut everything right away.

Thanks for your reply, it is crisps & chocolate for me & I struggle coz I'm all or nothing. I will give this a try & see how I go, I just feel so out of control, thanks.

Hi Jacko20

I recently joined Scottish slimmers after years of on and off diets because I am an emotional eater! Then I don't go to club, then I think I have an extra week to fix it, binge more as I feel bad for breaking diet and on goes the vicious circle!! This time I've been so good and hoping this feeling lasts because I don't even feel like I'm on a diet!
My club leader is amazing and the classes are actually really funny - she is a total comedian! I think this helps as in the past always felt a bit like AA to me! On my second week she looked at emotional eating and she showed us 2 bags:
Bag 1:
bottle of wine, family sized dairy milk, share bag of crisps it added up to well over 100 checks (daily amount 50)
Bag 2:
a freddo, gin and slim, snack a jacks, nail polish, a book, fake tan, hand cream, bubble bath, a number from coat hanger of size below the one your at. This adds to about 10 checks.

She said t find things that make us happy, hobbies or things to keep our hands busy or in the case of hand cream etc will stop us from eating! Also she said even I we ate more than one freddo we could still come bak from that and it wouldn't make us feel as defeated like we would if choosing bag 1.

I made this bag up and have found it truly helps adding things i like to the bag. Especially the coat hanger size - makes me see that I am goin in the right direction. I woukd give it a go it has worked for me and if it hadn't it was worth a try!

Good luck!

I used to follow Weight Watchers and managed to get down from 16st10 to 14st2, but by the time I got down to that weigt my points had reduced quite a bit from when i started and i found myself just eating fruit for breakfast and salad or stir fryed vegetables for lunch to save enough points to have something substantial and a small treat in the evening. This clearly wasn't sustainable because by depriving myself I felt the need to binge...which is why I ended up back at 15st6.5lb when I started Slimming World in July. I've found the losses on SW to be a bit slower than when I was on WW but I am no longer hungry or starving myself during the day. I can still have 300 calories of chocolate a day (thank god!) and i can eat until I am full so long as I am eating the right foods. WW was definitely good at getting me on the right track but I can't imagine following it for life so maybe you could have a look at sme of the other slimming groups out there and see if there is another one that would suit you better? If not then you can always go back to WW. Good luck :)

I'm really struggling with this at the minute too. This is the longest I've stuck with a diet in years but the binges are starting to creep back in.
My NHS weight loss group starts at the end of the month and I really don't want to mess it up with over eating as I know I'll only get one shot at it.
Im currently getting cbt which is focussing on self esteem issues and binge eating but it's such a hard cycle to break and there's no easy fix. It's a long, long road. But on the bright side, I'm in a lot better place than I was 12 months ago when I would binge daily.

If its starting to really effect (affect? I never know) your life, think about going to your gp for some help.

Hi x I could have wrote this post!

I am fat because I eat eat eat!!!!

I am at my heaviest and I an seriously upset with myself, but my attitude is to eat more x as it makes me feel good, then terrible!

I'm 4 stone heavier today than I was at 9months pregnant!

I went to my gp yesterday, and asked for help, refused any form of tablets as I need long term and so they recommended the NHS thing so I am awaiting a call back from them!

Let me know how you go and what helps!

Have a look at the groups and plans available to you, write down why you want to loose weight etc. Hope you start feeling better soon x

Hey guys I was where you are and I've managed to lose 50lbs. I read Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating by Gillian Riley and it really helped me.
It's about finding your triggers and re evaluating how you go about things. I have a lot of triggers and it takes time to change the behaviour but it is possible! I use distraction mostly so say I know I've got a trigger instead of binging ill paint my nails or have a pamper session or a long bath or go for a walk. You have to do something that benefits how you feel and do something for yourself, because you're worth more than a binge and deserve a pamper or 5 minutes a day doing something for you. It took along time for me to get that, and I am still struggling and do have set backs but I know I can keep going. Good luck you can do it!

Back