Help! Just over a month to get fit!

echoburning

21/M/Bolton
Hi guys,

I've signed up to run a 10k for Cancer Research at the beginning of October...I am very very unfit, I can walk 10k with no issues, just not running.

I thought I had plenty of time to get fit but with one thing after another time has closed in on me. I am going to join a gym tomorrow and start my regime. I have jogged 1.5k but obviously this is nowhere near that level.

I want to be able to jog the whole 10k without stopping (even if it is a VERY slow jog). Is this doable or am I kidding myself?

I am determined to do this so if anyone can give me any advice on regimes and the like I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you!

I think a month might be pushing it to go from almost scratch to running for nearly an hour, but there are training schedules out there for that, so perhaps you could do it, but it would be very tough.

A better compromise would be to jog for 2k, walk for 1k and repeat until finished, which would give you the required recovery period, and would let you complete in a respectable time.

Here's a schedule from JogScotland which might help:

http://www.jogscotland.safety.ed.ac.uk/useful/training_prog.shtm#10K Training Schedules

4 week 10k Schedule, Training 3 days per week (Approx 45- to 60-minute 10K)

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Week 1
Rest
2M easy, then 8 x 400m or 80 secs fast, with 400m or 2-3 min jog recoveries, then 2M easy
Rest
Rest
Rest
5-7M easy, inc 10 x 100m strides
5M easy
Week 2
Rest
2M warm-up, then 6 x 600m or 2-mins, with 400m or 3-min jog recoveries, then 2M cool-down
Rest
Rest
Rest
5-7M steady, inc hills
6M easy
Week 3
Rest
2M warm-up, then 5 x 800m or 3-mins, with 400m or 3-4 min jog recoveries, then 2M cool-down
Rest
Rest
Rest
15 mins easy, 20 mins fartlek, 15 mins easy
7M easy
Week 4
Rest
2M warm-up, then 6 x 400m or 80 secs, with 400m or 2-3 min jog recoveries, then 2M cool-down
Rest
4-5M easy
Rest
Rest
RACE

Thanks Scanbran,

I think that will have to be the way. I may try and just do a slow and steady jog but I'm going to try the way listed there.

Cheers mate

Back