help ketosis gone

carolyn01

Hi all, im on day 11 and have stuck to this diet almost religiously.
Last night I had 2 brocolli florets in my soup and my usual 2 shakes and 1 bar.

Today i was starving, had a headache all day so tested my ketone level and it was neg. I then ran one under the tap and that was slightly slightly more than mine! How can the tap water be in ketosis and not me.

I have drunk 3 litres of water so far today, not cheated. I weighed myself this morning and it said i had lost 3lb since monday (my scales). Im confused but really hungry. I do have skimmed milk in tea/coffee but only required amount.

Hi

I hardly ever test for ketones because I rarely get a positive result. If you are going to test its best to do so in the morning first thing. If you test after drinking loads of water it could be neg. If you test straight after eating it could also be negative. And sometimes I think its just goes negative to piss us off and make us doubt the diet.

Whether you are in ketosis or not you will still lose weight. However if you are not benefitting from the lack of hunger it is a lot harder.

Perhaps the bars are making you hungry or maybe it is to do with your monthly cycle? Do you have diet/zero drink. These make me hungry and give me a headache.

Hope you feel better soon

Jac

This might be of some use to you!
Interesting explination on keotosis
and why after a while the keosticks doesn't show pink!
Many people falsely believe they cannot or are not losing weight because the ketones drop to a lower level. The Ketostiks, used to measure the ketones in the urine, are no longer showing the purple color on the test strip. However, weight loss continues with or without the ketones being present. The spillage of excess ketones in the urine disappears on the low-carbohydrate diet after the body becomes accustomed to using dietary fats for energy instead of glucose. This usually occurs within a few weeks on the diet. People who normally eat high-carbohydrate meals have been fueling their bodies from the glucose and fructose obtained from the carbohydrates. Their cells have had very little experience burning fatty acids for energy. The body uses the glucose first to prevent high levels of glucose in the blood.
The body experiences a new condition when a person goes on the low-carbohydrate diet. The more commonly used glucose fuel is no longer available. The body reacts by dropping the pancreas' production of insulin and increasing the hormone glucagon. The glucagon draws stored fat reserves in the form of triglycerides for use by the cells as the new energy source. However, the cells are slow to react to this new fuel source, and the individual feels weakness or a lack of energy. The resistance to burn fatty acids for energy can vary greatly between individuals. Some people feel this weakness, but others pick right up and take off with the feeling of greater energy than before.
The liver begins to catabolize (break down) the extra fatty acids which are not being utilized by the cells. However, the liver does not have the enzyme necessary for complete catabolism of the fatty acids. This causes the discharge of the ketone molecules into the blood. The strange taste in the mouth and mild breath odor shows the presence of these ketones. Other body cells can utilize the ketones for energy. The brain can also utilize ketones contrary to the myth that the brain must be powered by glucose only; although, some areas of the brain still require glucose, which the body makes from amino acids or fats.
The body begins to utilize the fatty acids for energy more efficiently after a few weeks and the ketone level drops to normal. This does not mean one is not losing weight. It means the body is becoming a more efficient fat burner.
The scientific and practical amount of carbohydrate needed in the diet is ZERO, NONE. Carbohydrate is not a requirement for any body function. In fact, it appears that the lower the carbohydrate level in the diet the better the long-term health

Thank you for that info it has made me see it in a different light.
Just wish I knew why I had a headache (had TOTM last week!).

Anyway, if scales show a loss, i must try to persevere.

Hard day today.

:)

Thank you for that info it has made me see it in a different light.
Just wish I knew why I had a headache (had TOTM last week!).

Anyway, if scales show a loss, i must try to persevere.

Hard day today.

:)
Have you drank enough water headaches can be due tonot having enough?!

I have never checked to see if im in ketosis apart from the first week when my consultant gave me those sticks, i figured if i was following the diet or even if i was having a bad week and cheating it would only make me feel worse testing for it all the time, so maybe im lucky in not worrying about ketosis, cause i am still on a very low calorie diet so the weight is going to come off ketosis or not!

I'm another who isnt testing, apart from the first couple of days. I'm trusting that if follow the diet by the letter it will work and i dont really want to be fretting about what the results of weeing on a stick say. If i did and discovered that i wasnt in Ketosis I might be tempted to say what the hell & give in to eating something that would only exacerbate the problem.

Hope you headache goes soon x

Well I bought ketostix yesterday and tommorrow morning I am going to test for ketones to see how I'm doing as I should be in ketosis by tommorrow(day4).

Just keep drinking the water! It really does help with the headaches and weight loss!xx

I'm not bothered about them at all, I have been sticking to the diet 100% and I dont feel I need to get obsessed with testing if I'm sticking to it I should have reasonable losses and I havent been let down yet :)

This might be of some use to you!
Interesting explination on keotosis
and why after a while the keosticks doesn't show pink!

Great explanation - really useful - hope you don't mind but I've copied the info and posted for one of the W8 members who was also concerned. Sorry - probably should have asked first.

Thanks

Carol x

Great explanation - really useful - hope you don't mind but I've copied the info and posted for one of the W8 members who was also concerned. Sorry - probably should have asked first.

Thanks

Carol x
Nah....thats fine hunni..i went throw 50 keo stick in my first week as it really worried me!!! I found this on the internet.
Maybe we should ask to have it made into a sticky
Glad you found it useful xx:D

Found this really helpful too. Some are addicted to jumping on & off the scales, but my addiction is peeing on a white stick several times a day!

I know it is utterly ridiculous but I cant help myself. I hope this inof will help me break this daft habit! After all, my sticks are often negative, and my "water" is almost totally clear, ie well diluted, hence no bloomin' pink!!

I really never have seen the point of using ketostix, to be quite honest. If you're following the diet to the letter, you'll be in ketosis. If you drink a lot of water, then often the result will be negative because your wee's so dilute.

I think, quite frankly, they're a waste of money. If you're sticking to your Cambridge diet packs only, why bother trying to prove what you already know?

And let's face it, if you've cheated, the fact that you're still in ketosis doesn't mean anything, does it? You've still cheated...

Unless I'm missing something here? :confused:

ouch....that was a bit harsh In my opinion! Some people (like me) just need to see the stick turn pink...it motivates me ..... and has nothing to do with cheating...lets give ourseves a break these diets are dam hard and everyone has a blip (well most of us) we are only human..... after all. And when we feel shocking afterwards, many of us won't and don't do it again!
Like i said thats in my opinon xxx

ouch....that was a bit harsh In my opinion! Some people (like me) just need to see the stick turn pink...it motivates me ..... and has nothing to do with cheating...lets give ourseves a break these diets are dam hard and everyone has a blip (well most of us) we are only human..... after all. And when we feel shocking afterwards, many of us won't and don't do it again!
Like i said thats in my opinon xxx

:eek: Oops, yes, that was a bit harsh, wasn't it? I'm sorry, I didn't realise it'd come out quite like that. Really grumpy yesterday, tired and hungry. Sorry folks, not very supportive of me. :(

I hadn't really thought about people finding it motivating to see the stick go pink. But then, I have to admit, I don't even question whether I'm in ketosis. I think that's all I meant to say, but it came out all wrong. The thing is, people can find this diet really expensive and ketostix are just an added expense that in my humble (clearly wrong!) opinion you don't really need to have.

Sorry again

Back