Help !!! Oranges.

fillymum

synful soul
A friend has just brought me 20 kilos of oranges from their orange grove.

HELP !!!!!! I love oranges and will eat a couple each day and juice some for DH but what the hell do I do with 20 kilos. I do not want to make marmalade. I do not have the time. I will give some to friends but any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

I am fond of orange segments in salad and also orange with my strawberries.

It is such anice thing to have done especially as they were picked fresh this morning.............. BUT ...........

HELP !!!!!! I hate waste.

Last edited:
Oooh, like the taste but generally can't be bothered with the peeling. Go on then, I'll have one if that'll help you :D

Oooh, like the taste but generally can't be bothered with the peeling. Go on then, I'll have one if that'll help you :D

Gee thanks !!! You are all heart !!

hugs xxxx

make lots of those clove studded christmas things? pom..wassits

won't they store for ages though? still bound to be fresher than shop bought in a month or so!

Why not slice them and dry out in the oven it makes lovely pot pourri or garlands etc. Keep them in an airtight tub and they last for ages.

Do you have a market stall or something (or did I imagine that) they may go down well on there and you can make some money out of nothing :D

..stupid double posted

Last edited:
Do you have a market stall or something (or did I imagine that) they may go down well on there and you can make some money out of nothing :D

Lol !! I have a unit at an antiques center but it is a flea market as well, a bit like an upmarket boot sale. The owners sell fresh oranges so I suppose they would not be too impressed with me if I went into competition with them.

I will take some for my work friends there though.

What about cutting them into segments and freezing them to use as icecubes in fizzy water or sugar-free pop?

what a brilliant idea !!! I will definitely do that with some of them.

Can you make wine out of oranges:rolleyes:

Otherwise I can't think of anything.

Sounds good to me !

I looked it up on Google and came up with lots of recipes. In this one I would use all sweet oranges as that is what I have and hope for the best.

I will let you know how it turns out. Of course I will not be testing it. I will leave it to DH to be tester in chief.

Ingredients:
4 liters good quality rosé wine
5 whole bitter oranges (like Seville), each pierced in 60 places with a knitting needle
3 sweet oranges, each pierced in 60 places with a knitting needle
3 lemons
1 cinnamon stick
4 cloves
1/2 liter of unflavored 45% alcohol*
750 g. white sugar

* I use vodka @ 40% alcohol and add a bit more than a 1/2 liter or Everclear @ 75.5% alcohol and use about 1/3 liter.
Preparation:
  • Place everything but the alcohol and sugar in a glass or ceramic container. Seal tightly and let the fruit macerate for 4 days.
  • Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Then add the unflavored alcohol.
  • Reseal the container and put it in a cool, dark place for another 4 days.
  • Stir each day with a wooden spoon.
  • On the fifth day, remove all the solids and decant the wine into clean, clear wine bottles.
  • Serve cold.

Lol'ing at the wine instructions

Pierce 60 times with a knitting needle. No more. No less. Lol

Lol'ing at the wine instructions

Pierce 60 times with a knitting needle. No more. No less. Lol

me too !!! Does it taste different if ou only pierce it 59 times ???

Do I even have a knitting needle I ask myself ?? and if I don't will the results be different if I use a skewer. lol !!

A friend has just brought me 20 kilos of oranges from their orange grove.

HELP !!!!!! I love oranges and will eat a couple each day and juice some for DH but what the hell do I do with 20 kilos. I do not want to make marmalade. I do not have the time. I will give some to friends but any suggestions will be very gratefully received.

I am fond of orange segments in salad and also orange with my strawberries.

It is such anice thing to have done especially as they were picked fresh this morning.............. BUT ...........

HELP !!!!!! I hate waste.

Play squash?

:p

Is there no local children's home or nursing home you could donate a few kilos to?

Took a BIG bag full to work today and shared them out with my neighbouring traders.

Have eaten several today. They are delicious.

Back