Help, Pork.

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Hi guys,

im not looking for a recipe (so please dont move my thread, appologies about the mince pie thread oopsy..) , i just want to know A. i'v bought a boneless pork lion, - how do i cook it. I really don't have a fricking clue. B. I can eat pork right? I'v never been a pork lady so i didnt know if i could eat this on plan?

x

Hi Fern, lean pork is allowed so make sure there's no fat. Loin of pork s very tasty and you can roast it just like any other meat jont. I put it in the oven at gas 5. I'm not very good with times I'm afrain because I just look at it and test it with a knife to decide when i's done.

I use a nice marinade for pork if you want something a bit different. I usually use it with pork fillet but I think it will work with loin too.

Sticky pork

4tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp clear honey
finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
large bit of root ginger, grated

put all the marinade ingredients in a dish and mix. Coat the pork in it and leave for at least an hour, but preferably overnight

Heat oven to gas 6/200C
Take the pork out of the marinde and brown on all sides in a large pan then put it in a roasting tin and baste with the rest of the marinade, put in the oven to roast and baste with the juices every 5 mins whilst cooking.
This is nice with rice.

We have pork loin tonight with green beans and a peppercorn sauce, lush! Normally just cook ours with the fat removed on the george forman.

wow that sounds amazing... I saw some pork loin in morrisons the other day but didnt buy it coz I hadnt a clue how to do it well! I'll definitely do it now!

That's were i got mine!!

Thanks for that marinade, it sounds amazing!! - im gunna give it ago without i this time, i dont wanna risk ruining an expensive piece of meat if i do it wrong! LOL but deffo next time when im a bit more confident!

Also, as for removing the fat. my OH is a major cracklin fan. He likes it as crisp as possible.. so do i leave it on, remove it after (give all of it to OH) and then eat it? or do i have to remove it first, and if so.. how :confused: and will the cracklin still be as good.. can't be dissapointing my man haha
xxx

For good crackling you need to score the rind of the pork very well. I find that it's never done properly by the butcher, so I have a go at it with a stanley knife and make sure it is cut right down into the fat, and in nice thin pieces. Then dry it with some kitchen roll, brush it with a little oil, then sprinkle with a little salt.

If you leave it on the meat until it is cooked, then remove the crackling in one piece and pop it back in the oven (turn the heat up a bit) while you are resting and carving the meat, it will get even crisper. Yummy!

In the good (well, bad) old days I used to make a lovely dinner with belly pork, apples, onions, juniper berries, cider and potatoes all cooked together. I trimmed all the rind and fat off the belly pork, cut it into small pieces and cooked it separately - home made hot pork scratchings!!!! Me and him and the cats used to fight over them. Oooooooh! I want some right now!!!

If you want to syn some stuffing (or maybe there's a free receipe somewhere) we use to stuff the length of the pork loin (flatten it or cut it open to stuff), roll it over the stuffing, tie with string, then roast YUM!!! :D

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm crackling is deffo the best thing about pork.

Yummy! :p

how do you make the crackling? cut the fat? i dont understand xxx

If you look at most joints of pork you will see that there is the skin, and underneath a layer of fat, before you get to the meat.

Not all pieces of pork will have this, as some will have been trimmed and some will be from cuts that don't have skin, like tenderloin.

Crackling is a combination of the skin and the fat, cooked until it is crisp. Most roasting joints that you buy will have been scored by the butcher, but I never find that they have done it sufficiently for my liking so I have a go with a Stanley knife - cut down through the skin and the fat, almost but not quite as far as the lean meat. Cut lines quite close together - you can then cut crossways if you like, to make squares.

I usually then brush the skin with a bit of oil and sprinkle with a little bit of salt.

When it is cooking the fat bubbles up through the cuts in the skin and the whole thing turns lovely and crispy.

If you use Google, click on the Videos tag at the top of the page, then put pork crackling into the search box and you will find lots of videos demonstrating how to do it. Be warned - everyone has their own way of doing it, and everyone thinks theirs is the best!

And in case you were wondering, no it isn't free on SW. :cry:

Back