Help..

louise1969

Im new to Atkins, an im not really sure what to look for on the back of food packets.. i thought it was net carbs we count, but packs of sausages and prepared chicken meals with sauces on in the fresh food aisles only list carbs. So now im not sure how many carbs is safe to buy per product on induction. or what i should be staying below per day. i have i list of net carb values on the Atkins site but it seemes to be one food item,rather than meals. Please can someone help me i really want to suceed with this diet as ive failed all the others :eek: x

Hi Louise - don't use the list from the Atkins site. Net carbs are an American invention, they don't exist over here.

On American labels they add the fibre count the the carb count you see, but we list it separately here. Do not subtract either sugar or fibre from any uk labels - just go with the figure it tells you next to carbohydrates. No maths involved!

Prepared meals in general aren't the best thing to eat on Atkins - much better to buy fresh chicken. A lot of shop bought sauces will have flour or sugar in. Likewise you must be careful about buying sausages as lots of them contain rusk or breadcrumbs. There is a shopping list in the stickies section which tells you good brands of sausages to buy.

In induction you should be aiming to stay under 20g carbohydrate per day - with 15g of that coming from vegetables

Moonlights thank you very very much. Your advice has cleared up my concerns. I will look for recipe ideas on here then for meal ideas, an stay away from pre packed foods. Thanks again for your help :) x

Back