Hi looking to start the Cambridge diet or lighter life

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by captaincollins, 26 June 2008 Social URL.

1. captaincollins

captaincollins Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st8lb
    Current Weight:
    23st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.12%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Hi, I am thinking of doing the cambridge diet or lighter life, I have read the web pages for reviews and both the offical websites, they look very simular but cambridge seems much cheaper, can anyone give me any help of any real differences? It seems as though LL costs £66 a week and CD around £33 is this right?

Any help would be gratefully recived, I weigh 22 stone and 7 pounds, so I have a lot to lose

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Blonde Logic

Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    LL is run by trained counselors who deal with food issues, addiction, etc. The meetings are closed groups, no more then 12 people in each group and they practice Transactional ANalysis and Cognitive Behaviour Training. Very effective if you have issues with food.

CD is not run by counselors and it is one on one. But just as effective with loss, if you do not struggle with issues, etc.

Otherwise they are about the same! :)

4. loselose

loselose Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    cd
    the thing is with cd is you have a one to one with your councelors and they are qualified. it just depends on the person. and its cheap. plus you get ready made shakes if your out most hours

5. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    Yes, I didn;t mean for my post to sound that they weren't qualified - apologies if it did, but are they qualified just to run CD programs, or are they trained in psychology as well? I think thats the difference? :confused::)

6. loselose

loselose Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    cd
    i dont know blonde il have to ask my cdc.

i didnt mean to sound bad sorry

7. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    lol - you didn't sound bad at all. :) I misworded my first post, so it was good of you to clarify. :)

8. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

the level of training on CD is an individual thing. The basic CD training for "counsellors" does not involve psychology in the same way the LL training does. However there are many CDCs that have some NLP, psych, counselling training. Finding them is the difficult thing.

Having started on LL and then moved to CD for various reasons, and being someone with a food issue as opposed to someone who slowly put on weight over the years, I can say that LL is the better option for me. Even though my LLC and group wasn't particularly effective for me. The whole approach to LL is slanted differently to CD even though they are both very similar.

I like LL's tough stance on abstinance and how this can enable us to view our relationship with food from a distance and learn new coping mechanisms.

It is definitely worth the extra money, if you can afford it. If money inhibits you doing LL then CD is better than nothing, and perhaps down the line you could add your own counselling sessions either via NHS or privately.

9. Blonde Logic

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    I knew someone would come a long and say it better then I did! Good post Dancing. :)

10. Peridot

Peridot Peridot

And - having done both - LL packs are nicer (the shakes are and the (new) bars anyway) and that makes a big difference to me

11. gobubbles

gobubbles Live the dream...

Diet:
    LighterLife
    I personally think that CD can be adapted more to your lifestyle than LL.

I'm now on CD SS+ after doing LL and loving it to bits! I have a small meal - with real food - in the evening, and have still been losing a lot of weight consistently. Also, on CD plans with food, it's like starting management even before you reach your weight goal, so you learn to deal with food from the word go. I don't see food as my biggest enemy anymore, like I did on LL.

The trick is finding a good CDC. I've been lucky because I've found a fabulous lady who offers me real counselling - on a one to one basis - using a mixture of NLP and CBT. This is not something that CDCs are necessarily taught, so it can be a bit hit-and-miss. Although I learnt a lot on the LL counselling sessions, for me they were more like going to a class than real counselling. But this is all subjective and dependent on your LLC and group. So, whatever diet you go on, I'd suggest doing your research first and speaking to a few counsellors before making a decision.

Food-wise, some LL packs can taste better and mix better; however, on CD you get a lot more choice, plus the ready-mixed tetrabriks. You also get things like Mix-a-Mousse, which makes a yummy mousse.

A tough decision for you, but whatever you decide the weight will just drop off you - fast! :)

12. supersize

supersize Member

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    Hi! I only have experience of the LL diet but like most things the groups sessions are only as good as the counsellor but you will get to meet him/her in the information session and if you don't warm to them there will be others in your area. The distance you have to travel to class will vary obviously depending on the area the counsellors cover but living in Edinburgh I had 3 or 4 counsellors to consider. I must say my group and my counsellor are all absolutely lovely and going to class is one of the highlights of my week. My class meet on a Sat lunchtime so that's quite good, we all have a good laugh at our shared experiences and there's so much support. I think the two hours of 'group therapy' a week is worth the £66 and the foodpacks are a bonus ;)

13. Sarette

Sarette Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st9lb
    Current Weight:
    13st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st11lb(25.67%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Weight Plan
    Good luck with whatever you decide xx

14. captaincollins

captaincollins Full Member

Start Weight:
    23st8lb
    Current Weight:
    23st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.12%)
    Diet:
    WW
    Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help, I have decided to go for CB mainly due to cost but also like the idea of the stages better SS then 790 etc. Only one CDC in my area and not replying after 3 days and I am not very patiant (LOL) Still hope to hear from her soon, anyone else in the Helensburgh, Greenock, Clydebank area? I emailed the cyldebank area lady as she said she was overweight and used CD, while the Helensburgh one is a private homopatic doctor and didnt sound as good for me, I think its better to talk to someone with experience.
    Thanks
    Sharon

15. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

good luck

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.