Higher syn foods that are 'worth it'

FatGurlSlim

Hi, I have found that it's worth having 2% fat Greek Yoghurt for the 1/2 point, rather than 0%, which is free because not only is it tastier and creamier, I find it so much more filling, so paired with some fruit salad and maybe some no-cal sweetener it is practically a meal!

Does anyone else have any foods that have more points, but work out 'better' value than free foods?

Hi fatgurlslim, which yoghurt is this then please. I love the new muller greek style yoghurt, fat free but half a syn, and well worth it I think. Just wish they were bigger as one spoonful and whoosh, gone!

This is the Total Greek Natural Yoghurt, 2% fat. They have it at Asda. x

I don't have any like this tbh, but I am firm believer that there are some things you just can't substitute. Eg, butternuds are very low syn, but vile, so I would rather go without or syn some proper butter. Equally, low alcohol wine might be passable, but I'd rather have 1 glass of decent wine than 3 of that stuff!

I think this is a really good philosophy! Less of the really good stuff is so much better than more of the substitute! I think it's a healthier attitude too - you know, the whole everything in moderation thing. x

Interesting about the butterbuds. Our consultant passed some round a couple of weeks ago. I had tried it before and wasnt keen but someone in our group said they tried it with mash and it was quite nice. Its worth trying thing though, although like you say some things just dont hit the spot. I prefer a squirt of anchor light cream rather than the quark/sweetener combo. Dont like that as I can still taste the sourness, although I love yoghurt to eat just out of the tub.

My youngest daughter is a bit of a foodie but as she weighs 8 stone she can be! ( she takes after her dad's side of the family) . Anyway, she made a seafood chowder on Sunday and the recipe had olive oil and single cream in it. Uh oh, I thought, but didnt want to spoil her cooking session- BUT - when I synned it, the whole pot that served 4 came to 10 syns, and to be honest could have served 6 easily , so for 1.5 - 2.5 syns per person well worth it.
Like the wise Kingleds above said, some things cant really be substituted and even though it could have been made minus the cream and oil , I believe it tasted much nicer with them. x

Oh and on the yogurt front, I am not a yogurt fan as such , but the Activia full thruster prune and the strawberry one are worth every syn - they are deeeeelish!

Twice now I have taken full fat mayo in my tuna pasta as opposed to the light. Not sure I would swop permanently but was good and worth it. Interesting as I can't think of anything just now. Sometimes its nice to have a sauce out a jar, oh noodles, the low fat ones are rubbish. Am sure I will come back with more haha

I suppose it depends on what rocks your boat. I would consider 10 syns spent on wine or chocolate to be a waste of syns but I will happily spend that on a bagel, wrap or coconut milk for a creamy curry. I prefer creme fraiche to fromage frais and am happy to take a hit for the syns as it's more stable when cooking with it and much tastier. i like to use sesame oil when making a stirfry or fried rice rather than something like frylight for woks.

I completely agree with the chocolate thing, Patchwork Puss! I sometimes think I'll have a bar, but then can't bring myself to spend my points on it.

I like to spend the odd few points on stuff like olive oil to jazz up some veggies and things like that. Keeps you fuller for longer too. Things like pan-fried mushrooms are a bit gross when dry fried in my humble opinion!

Ooooh coconut milk...will have to try that in curry. Am an avid cook, but yet to produce a really delicious authentic curry.

Decent beer. I'd prefer to syn one small bottle of decent, REAL beer than have pint after pint of alcohol free.
proper cocoa. If I fancy a mug of hot choccie, I will make proper cocoa but make it with sweetener and my milk allowance so it will be just the cocoa powder I'm synning.
White bread rolls for home made burgers. I hate having burgers in anything less than the crappiest of crap white rolls with sesame seeds on.
same for proper home made pizza base. would much rather have sensible toppings, limit my cheese and syn the base than have smash pizza or miss out all together!! I can't eat wholemeal so I can't switch either.
I tweak and have no "good" hex b on the days we have pizza or burgers, and still syn the flour in the pizza base and syn the rolls etc. it's been working well for me.
avocado. so worth the syns for a treat occasionally! especially with fat free koftas and salad in a half and half pita bread (again, can't eat wholemeal!)
coconut milk is a must for me too, but I recently discovered coconut cream... slightly lower in cals weight for weight, and can be diluted as much as you need/want.

I like butterbuds in mash, but not on baked potato or pasta.

Last edited:
There is no substitute for good wine, let me tell you ;)

Agree it's what floats your boats, I don't mind the butter buds or low fat mayo but I can go totally without both... Most of my syns go in cooking for I don't use then... I'm not a massive fan of chocolate etc.. But do like to use nice oils and nuts/seeds to cooking :)

Oh my god I can't believe how many syns there are in mini magnums. I ate a dark one the other night and stupidly didn't find out the syn value first, I assumed about 5 max as they are so small! It was worth it though, delicious yum yum haha xx

jezzi999 said:
Mini magnums - 8-9.5syns depending on flavours.

Nicer than ice lollys, yogurt, quark, homemade ice cream or any other substitute.

Yes they are small but very satisfying especially the liquer ones (white choc limoncello or milk choc Irish cream) an only 8-8.5 syns. YUM!

Did I just read that right - liquor magnums? Wow! That's well worth it!

I don't do fakey ice cream - real or nothing! I get the slicing blocks of vanilla ice cream from Sainsburys as I find it easier to work out how much you get for your syns. You get a good slice of ice cream for about 4 syns and I have it with askeys wafers and make an ice cream sandwich.

Other than that, my favourite treaty things are the Activis creamy yogurts in the little round pots. They are 2.5 syns and so much nicer than fat free yogurt. The vanilla ones are especially gorgeous!

In cooking, I love using coconut for curries. I buy the blocks of creamed coconut and grate it up - you get a good amount for a couple of syns each and it really makes all the difference to creamy curries :)

Salted dark chocolate it's good - four or five syns worth is plenty as it's so intense! And the salt makes it taste really foodie too. Loving it at the moment.

A good curry. I have tried lots of SW curry recipes but can't find one that floats my boat. Agree with wine in fact all alcohol.

I prefer what I call novelty crisps anyway ( like French fries, quavers) so these aren't a problem although still syns.

Oh it's really got me thinking this thread!

A good curry. I have tried lots of SW curry recipes but can't find one that floats my boat. Agree with wine in fact all alcohol.

I prefer what I call novelty crisps anyway ( like French fries, quavers) so these aren't a problem although still syns.

Oh it's really got me thinking this thread!

I love cooking, but I have found it so had to crack curry for some reason! The best I've made was from a vegan low fat cookbook, with loads of veg and low fat coconut milk. Tasty, but not "proper' curry somehow!

Back