Hmm... Question about veggies

WelshCupcake

So I was reading through the book again earlier and noticed that spinach is in the 1 cup a day not the 2 cups as I thought. Now I was having cup of spinach as salad and still having another cup of the other veggies. I am mostly having green veggies with occasional mushrooms or cauli. My question is will this affect me as I am struggling to get 12-15g carbs from veggies alone when I have 2 cups salad. Anyone able to help me at all?

i was thinking the same. and the carb counter in the book actually says the spinach has less carbs than the freen salads like lettuce or green cabbage.
this is something i can`t understand. how i could get 12 g of carbs from veggis if i am allowed to have only 2-3 cups of greens a day. i am afraid i am eating more salads.a small balls, 70 g may be aech of green leaves with my main meal, 3 times a day, is it too much? and if it is, how i could get this 12 g carbs as i am eating only 0 carbs meats,eggs and green leaves.
and the sweetener, but it has almost nil sugar. 15 tablet+ for 1 g sugar.
thanks

it depends whether you're measuring the spinach cooked or raw.

100g raw spinach is 0.7g carbs
100g cooked spinach is 2.5g carbs

because spinach cooks down so much a cup of cooked spinach is rather a lot. I'd guess you measure it raw and that they're talking about 1 cup of it cooked. but honestly either way unless you're eating 600g cooked weight of it per day it's not going to be a problem.

Thanks rose :) so does that mean I am ok to carry on as I have been? 1 cup spinach raw half for brekkie and half for dinner, cup of romaine and then cup of cabbage or cauli in the evening etc... Sorry for all the question but am a bit confused today. I measure all my veggies in the raw state by the way :)

That all sounds fine to me, a good mix of the different veggies. I measure mine by weight rather than cups, but you won't be over on carbs with that lot.

I love spinach and include it in my list of greens - as long as I get 3 mugs a day I don't worry about the proportions too much :)

Thanks both :) that's made me feel a bit better then lol... I know I am still not getting between 12 and 15 carbs from veg but am definately have at least 3 mugs from the acceptable list. I am loving romaine at the moment it is so much nicer then iceburg and to me tastes a bit sweet :)

tescos have got 2 romaines for £1 at the mo, also 2 bags of rocket for £1.......just incase anyone was interested :)

If you are talking english cups then they are too small, I always used a standard coffee mug as the measure

Back