Home made crisps

Ruthie_J

I am really craving some crisps so thought I'd make some myself with sliced potatoes, fry light and paprika. However, after extensive googling, I see that this is "food abuse" and actually need to be synned. That's fine, I understand why, but can't seem to find the the syn values.
Does anyone on here know?
Thanks

I am really craving some crisps so thought I'd make some myself with sliced potatoes, fry light and paprika. However, after extensive googling, I see that this is "food abuse" and actually need to be synned. That's fine, I understand why, but can't seem to find the the syn values.
Thanks

Never heard of these? But I did a google and found this...

Making snacks like “Slimming World Doritos” from lasagne sheets, quiche using pasta in sauce, and cake from couscous or chickpeas ect: Although the main ingredients for these recipes are a Free Food they have to be counted as Syns because they’re easy to overeat without realising. When these foods are used in their intended form they’re bulky and usually the main ingredient of a meal along with other satisfying Free or Superfree Foods. This is when you would gain the greatest satiety from these foods. In essence eating them in this ‘snack’ form encourages members to eat more calories without the satisfaction of a filling, healthy meal and this could be jeopardising their weight losses. It’s an effective way of adding a lot of extra calories in a non-bulky, non-satisfying way. To protect members’ weight loss we would always recommend when using these products in this way to count them as Syns

I'd say if your losses aren't being affected then carry on, but if you think they are then maybe it's best to syn them.

Yes that all makes sense. But how many syns should I count for let's say, 100g raw potatoes? I've had a couple of bad weeks so really want to be more strict, so need to know how many syns to count. Surely baking in the oven with fry light has lower syns than regular crisps?

Hi Ruth! Oh God..this is the first I have heard about "food abuse". It does make sense but just not something that had occurred to me before. I just wish I had read this post before I had made and eaten a big batch of SW chips as an evening snack! I'm guessing that there can't be much difference between having SW chips or crisps as snack as neither were part of a meal. I would say the SW version of crisps have to be better than real crisps though! Going to ask about how these should be synned in group on Monday anyway x

Thanks

You could syn them using the 20 calories = 1 syn approach. 100g of raw white potato is approximately 70 calories, so 3.5 syns. Hope that helps!

Thanks

Previoulsy you would have synned them at the red day rate but now that red and green are been phased out (shame on SW) they've backed themselves into a corner. They now say that you should syn it at the same rate as the food you are replacing lol so n this case a low fat bag of crisps

Back