hopefully low syn brownie HELP!

Emzy88

Hi well ive made these before and was looking to make them again and was thinking when looking at them that they could be quite low in syns could any one help me out with working it out!?

3 eggs, separated
225g (8oz) golden caster sugar (splenda? instead??? how much though!)
1tbsp chocolate extract (optional)
200g (7oz) low-fat yogurt (thinking fat free would work aswell to bring down syns)
1½tbsp vegetable oil (could use frylite its just to grease the dish i think)
175g (6oz) self-raising flour
75g (3oz) cocoa powder, plus extra

1 Preheat oven to 190 C, 170 C fan, 375 F, gas 5. Brush a 30x20cm (11x8in) brownie tin with oil and dust lightly with a cocoa powder. Mix egg yolks, sugar, chocolate extract (if using), yogurt and oil together. Sift in the flour and cocoa and gently fold in.
2 Whisk egg whites to soft peaks. Add a spoonful to the chocolate mix and stir well to loosen, then gently fold in rest of the whites. Pour into tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a rack to cool.

These are amazing and i would be so gratefully if someone could help me work out the syns

ohhh this makes 24

thanks in advance

Hiya hun.

Well I had a look on the splenda site, and it's about 2 tablespoons of Splenda for every ounce of sugar - so 16 tablespoons of splenda.

In terms of the oil - I would prob just use baking parchment or greaseproof paper to line the tin rather than the oil and cocoa powder, but if you did use oil that would be 9 syns.

Cocoa is 1/2 a syn for a level tsp, 2.5 for a tbsp, and 4.5 per ounce, so 12.5 syns for the 3oz of cocoa powder.

flour - self raising is 4.5 per ounce, so 27 for the flour.

In total:

39.5 syns without the oil
48.5 syns with the oil

Per brownie:

1.65 (1.5 or 2 - depending on whether you want to be naughty!) without the oil
2.02 (2 or 2.5) with the oil

So not too synful!!! :D

Sian xxx

this recipes sounds delish and porper to not like chickepeas n that lol. but where do u buy the chocolate flavouring from? thanks x

Wow they're actually very low syns (although the trick for me would be not to eat the whole thing myself!). Let us now how they turn out with Splenda.

Oooh let us know how they turn out x Maybe a photo?

Thank for the help guys i will do it without the oil and see how they turn out will get back to you later!!!!

Just put them in the oven thinking i should have used the oil as it was a lot thicker than usual but ill see how they are will let u guys know!

I was thinking about that and I have a full fat recipe for brownies and there is quite a bit of oil in and I think thats what makes them sort of sticky/moist?

Well they have come out the oven and i have to say they are not as fluffy as usual and think this was because of not have the oil to un-gloop the mixture tried water but didnt work so then when i added the stiff egg whites it was hard to fold in cus of the thickness of the mixture so i will add oil need time not as much as they say but a bit. After tasting them i think that there needs to be more sweetness and less choco (god forbid) as it seems to chocolately but just not sweet enough just had a thought next time i mite add a little honey that mite work like the oil was supposed to!? i duno ill have ago and if i does work ill let u no but that wont be happening today haha! enough cooking for one day! below is hopefully a picture of a couple of the brownies thats the size i can get 24 out of they are usually a bit bouncier and risen than this but couldn't fold in the egg whites like usual! well hope u can have a go and use what ive learnt from this go if you guys find any other ways to make it better let me no!!!

turns out i can't work out how to add a photo its asking me for a url i dont have one for this photo so if anyone wants to let me no how to add a photo i will!!!

Back