Horse Riding

Coley

Re-starter
I haven't been horse riding since I was about 10, but over the last few years I find myself thinking about it more and more. I just have no idea how to get started?!!

What on earth do I wear? I used to wear wellies when I was 10!!

What on earth do I do? lessons? errrrr......trekking? I dunno!! I can't even remember how to hold the reigns!! (sp??)

Can some one give me the low down?

What should I do and how much should it be costing me....roughly, I know it will vary but I have no idea what to expect, didn't pay for my own lessons when I was 10.:rolleyes:

ta!!

xx

Hi Nicole, looking forward to seeing you next week.

My daughter goes riding about 2 miles from us, costs £12 for an hour lesson, has her own gear now but when she started last year she just wore wellies or trainers and comfy clothes and they lend you hats until you get your own.
there are adults and kids going to the lessons she goes to. I can give you more info if you need it.
Fiona:D

Hey Fiona!! You gem!!! Ya missed me??!! lol!!

ooooough shall have to chit chat with you about this!! must ride!!

Laura tells me you have been a good girlie!!! Did you get my text?

Muchos exciting seeing everyone next week, dissertation still not done!! about 700 words to write yet but it will be done veeeeeeery veeery soon. Just as soon as I think up 700 words.

yipee!!!

better go, desperate housewives is on!

xx

uh oh thought the dreaded "d" word had to be in this week!! You can do it though, just the same as I managed to get through last night without eating, yes, yes, yes!!

Did get txt, sorry meant to reply and forgot but glad Laura kept you updated. So much to discuss on Tuesday, g g's, measurements, munchies etc - will have to talk quick.

C u then - good luck with the you know what!!

F

£12 for an hour :eek: wow. At our local school 30min lesson for an adult is a whopping £24.50!!!
Our school insists on suitable footwear (boot with small heel and smooth soles) and headwear to current safety standards, which can be hired from them if need be. Other than that wear something comfortable with nothing that is going to flap about :D.
I do hope you have a lovely time....

try to wear a boot with a small heel, this will stop your foot slipping through the stirrup, and give you a better leg position. heels down!

i havent ridden for years, since mine was sent to pony heaven with the vets gun :(

£12 for an hour :eek: wow. At our local school 30min lesson for an adult is a whopping £24.50!!!
Our school insists on suitable footwear (boot with small heel and smooth soles) and headwear to current safety standards, which can be hired from them if need be. Other than that wear something comfortable with nothing that is going to flap about :D.
I do hope you have a lovely time....
I know you, well, from Horsey boards!

How is the gorgeous Zoe? ;) :D

Ha ha I haven't been on here in a while.....nice to see you around. The gorgeous Zoe has her own blog :D A day in the life of.....

Prices have gone up again at the riding school. I can keep Zoe for 3 weeks at the farm for what it costs for a one hour private lesson!!!

I Know this thread is Old! but thought i'd give some up to date info incase anyone was interested. I am a Horse Riding Instructor, teaching in a few Riding Schools.
Its reconmended to wear leggins or jogging bottoms for first lessons ( NOT jeans, they really rub) and a boot with smooth sole and small heel, a lot of places have boots to hire as well as hats to start with. Wellies and trainers arent paticularily safe, but will do for a couple of weeks if there really isn't any other choice.

These are price lists from the 2 Riding schools i teach at websites

Bardwell Manor Equestrian Centre - Lessons

http://www.barrowhallstables.co.uk/lessons.html

After reading about the prices for horse riding in the UK I'm really pleased my daughter (8) is riding over here (NL). It only costs us €8,50 a lesson (small group 5/6 people) , and that's pretty much the going rate around here. We chose this one because of the good reputation and because it's easy to take a pony/horse into the nearby heathland/dune public area (when she's a bit more experienced).

How is she doing Cloggy ??

How strange this should come up, I was thinking about this last night as I have always wanted to learn how to ride :D

Our local city farm does horse riding but the maximum weight is 13 stone and I have 2 stone to lose to get to that, but would be great to start in the spring.

Thanks for the useful info :D

Really something to aim for cos there is a saying that is so true...........the outside of the horse is good for the inside of the soul.

I'm gagging to get back on and do some lessons but I can't ride untill I hit 14 stones (the riding schools upper weight limit) so I've now got something to work towards.

I love horses but to be honest I don't enjoy lessons any more as its not long enough for me, its expensive and I'd like to just be able to do my own thing. I can't afford my own horse so I'm losing out at the mo as I'd rather spend my money on something else rather than a riding lesson I don't enjoy. Been riding since I was 8 so am pretty experienced now.

How is she doing Cloggy ??

she's really enjoying herself Sue, she's not the quickest learner but she enjoys riding and also all the grooming and stuff that goes with it.

BTW most of the ponys are welsh ponys (as we spoke about), only about half are thoroughbreds (with birth certificates) and the other half aren't (I didn't realise there was a difference). All of the horses are thoroughbreds though.

What about looking for a share Miss Mango. If you have the time it can be a good compromise.
Yeah thats what I have been looking for actually, its just finding one locally at an affordable price at the moment - I'm registered on a site that lists all the latest ads so I'll let you all know if I find something suitable enough!
Thanks for the advice

I stopped riding as I moved from London to Wales but miss it so much.

I found a riding school in Brecon whose weight limit was 18 stone.. I was at the time almost 20 so it was a nice goal.

I eventually got to 17.13 and went to their site to book a day hack only to find they've now changed their weight limit to 16.. so gutted but, new goal at least :D

Back