Hot and Sour Soup

LoChan1984

Gold Member
Hot and Sour Soup

1 litre chicken stock
3 tablespoons soy sauce
cooked shredded chicken (I used 1 chicken thigh, 70g raw weight)
6-8 mushrooms, sliced
3 garlic cloves
6 red chillies
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
60mls white wine vinegar
100g tofu, cut into thin rectangle slices or small cubes
2 tablespoons cornflour and 2 tablespoons cold water
1 egg, beaten
2 spring onions, finely sliced (including tops)
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1. Bring chicken stock to a simmer in saucepan.
2. Make a garlic chilli paste by grinding the 3 garlic cloves and 3 of the chillies with
a pestle and mortar. Add 1 tbsp of the stock around half-way through.
3. Add soy sauce, shredded meat, mushrooms and garlic red chilli paste to the soup. Simmer for 5 mins
4. Chop remaining 3 chillies and add to soup. Add chilli powder, white pepper, white vinegar, tofu to the soup. Simmer for 5 mins
5. Combine two tablespoons of cornflour with two tablespoons of cold water in a cup. Stir until mixture is smooth. Add cornflour mixture to soup and stir well.
6. Simmer for five minutes until soup is thickened slightly.
7. Beat egg in a cup until yolk and white are combined. Pour beaten egg slowly, in a fine stream into soup. Stir soup several times. Wait 30 seconds.
8. Add spring onions and sesame oil to soup. Stir well. Remove from heat. Serve hot.

The total recipe syns on a red/EE day will be 8, on green with 70g chicken it will be 12 syns. Up to you on portion sizes :D

You can swap the chicken for shredded pork or prawns and add extra veg in if you want :)
Original recipe found at: Cooks.com - Recipe - Easy Hot And Sour Soup

Forgot to include a pic, have to sell it properly :D

Hot and Sour Soup.jpg

Hi. I am new to sw and I can't seem to work out why on a red day there are 8 syns. It sounds gorgeous so just wondered what the syns are in the recipe.
Thanks

Lol I posted the answer on the noodles thread. As on there - the cornflour is 7 syns (3.5 per tbsp) and the sesame oil is 1 syn :)

12 syns on green as you need to syn the chicken x

Thank you. Not sure i'm gonna understand this diet seems quite complex. Will Def make the soup sounds luvvly x

You'll get the hang of it - kind minimins people are always happy to help you out if you've a query :)

:giggle:

Reminds me to add an important soup update - if you can get hold of xanthan gum you can replace the two tablespoons of cornflour with a 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum (you need to mix this with two tablespoons of the hot stock instead of cold water).

This amount of xanthan gum has negligible syns so it knocks the recipe total down to 1 syn on red/ee and 5 on green :D

My OH loves hot and sour soup. May try this for him next week.

Could you use hazlenut oil instead of sesame oil do you think? I don't have any sesame oil!

I'm not sure, the sesame oil gives it a certain something flavourwise... you could give it a go or try leaving it out altogether maybe?

Back