Household bills

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Boring! I know but my water has doubled and I'm wondering if its due to not paying enough since we moved in in aug.

If anyone's happy to share how much do you pay per month on utilities?

I live in a detached 3 bed but only hubby, me and my 2 yr old reside.....

Elec - 58
Oil - save 50 per month but always have to add more when bill comes
Water - was 30, now 60

As I say if your happy to share and similar to compare I'd be grateful!

Are you on a meter? If not, I'd personally speak to your water board and get one ASAP. Larger households are better off without (if they can get away with it) but smaller ones like yourself are more likely to save money.

Sorry, we're not a comparable household for bills etc but my daughter's bills halved when she requested a meter be installed.

We pay £22 water, that's for a 3 bedroomed terrace and there are 4 of us living here- we don't have a water metre. I think the water charges vary depending on where you live though so its hard to compare really.
With gas and electric it changes every month as we are with british gas and we put our metre readings in each month and just pay for what we have used.

Is that all you pay for non meter.
My 3 bedroomed house not on meter a year was £1300.Now son lives there on his own we had a meter put in and for 6 months it was £200.We have expensive water in Devon.:)

yep that's all we pay, I live in Oldham, not far from Manchester x

I was paying 25 but then they read my meter and I was 50 in credit so they changed it to 12! Definaely worth having a meter put in x

Just looking at the water bill now:

171 days-
Supply water £118
Used water £70
Surface drainage £44

Urgggg that's £232 and I was paying £30 a month and now it's £44.60 so an extra £15 a month not double like I thought but still it seems lot! We do have a meter, I checked :-(

Just looking at the water bill now:

171 days-
Supply water £118
Used water £70
Surface drainage £44

Urgggg that's £232 and I was paying £30 a month and now it's £44.60 so an extra £15 a month not double like I thought but still it seems lot! We do have a meter, I checked :-(

How strange our water went up from £22 to £44 on a meter, just 2 of us... They think we may have a leak so just doing the home tests etc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

So strange to come across this as I have had almost the exact same thing happen at the start of this year. We were paying £30 (2 BED, 2 of us) which I always thought was high and the bill was over £100 in credit and they wanted to put our payments to £50 so I said no chance, cancelled the DD and as I do it online I just put our meter reading in every couple of months and pay by debit card as soon as the bill arrives and we are paying less!! The way we've looked at it is that we may as well be earning interest on the money than them.

Fingers crossed you get yours sorted xx

:( this makes me really sad! I work for Scottish Water (we don't have private water/waste companies for domestic supplies) and hearing how much it varies across England & Wales is horrid.

Daylight robbery!!

Sorry, not a constructive post I know!

We pay £40 a month on water, 3 bed semi with 2 adults. I'm one of the fair few who actually want a meter installed!

Gas and electric - £50 now and goes up to about £90 over the winter when it's really cold but we have key meters so it varies a lot from normal monthly contracts. (That's combined)

We used to have bills but when out of the blue we got a bill from British Gas for over £500, I had them fit the meters that week. I can't be doing with massive bills out the blue like that!

Have u tried the usual tactics of trying to save water like putting ice cream tubs in the cistern and turning the tap off when you are brushing your teeth etc? Apparently you can waste up to 9 litres of water a min leaving a tap running x

I like to be in control of my bills so I don't care when they say save £5 for paying DD.No thank you I like to pay what I owe and when I am ready to pay it.:)

I have to agree with you on this for our water, we have a meter but we're paying so much less since I cancelled our DD and just paying when we get a bill (it averages about £20 to £25 max a month) and I would much rather we earn interest on the money than them :) x

Back