how can anyone ever eat out if we cant save syns?

As far as I know you can save syns. Lots of people on this forum mention it.

If I do eat out (maybe three or four times a year) I only go to places where they will do nice salads. (Don't think I have ever eaten in a Macdonalds and I am not going to start now!!) But I will have a nice pudding, and save up some syns for that.

When I went to group a few years ago we were told we could spread the syns out or use in one go if we wanted as long as you don't go over.

Assume it's still the same!
Hope so anyway!

X

I also understood that it's okay to save sins. I saved up 3 days worth this week and went out for a bag of chips and a glass of cider.

I also understood that it's okay to save sins. I saved up 3 days worth this week and went out for a bag of chips and a glass of cider.

Thanks, I hoping that was still the case!

I was told its fine to save syns, we have up to 105 to use over the course of the week. It's great as I've been good all week having lowish syn days so I can enjoy a guilt free meal out tomorrow!

You can use the flexisyns thing everyone in a while I think but for obv reasons not all the time :)

I have done it a few times for special occasions/trips and went miles over the flexi syns allowance anyway ... whoops :/

Slimming World no longer advise you that you can save your syns. Instead they tell you to have 5-15 each day and for times when you will struggle with this to use flexible syns. I don't think that any consultant telling you otherwise is giving you the official information.

Slimming World no longer advise you that you can save your syns. Instead they tell you to have 5-15 each day and for times when you will struggle with this to use flexible syns. I don't think that any consultant telling you otherwise is giving you the official information.

Wow thanks for the update.
I am trying to do SW from home this time but attended group about 3 years ago. Back then saving syns was encouraged at my group as a lot of the members and consultant were weekend drinkers and saved all syns (pretty much) for that!
I can see the logic of saving if you know you will need them but probably better to evenly spread for healthy balance!

Thanks again!

No worries! I think the idea behind it is that it encourages sensible and sustainable eating, and discourages treat-binge type behaviour. I think it works pretty well. I was successful with SW a number of years ago and while saving syns was helpful in some ways, in others it wasn't. I used to see my eating in terms of weeks, and if I went overboard with syns, I felt I had ruined the whole week and would give up till next weigh in, and sometimes skip group altogether. I find not worrying about saving them means I can treat each day separately and if one day goes a bit squiffy, I have a fresh new start the next morning! And providing you don't use it too frequently, flexi-synning really does work.

No worries! I think the idea behind it is that it encourages sensible and sustainable eating, and discourages treat-binge type behaviour. I think it works pretty well. I was successful with SW a number of years ago and while saving syns was helpful in some ways, in others it wasn't. I used to see my eating in terms of weeks, and if I went overboard with syns, I felt I had ruined the whole week and would give up till next weigh in, and sometimes skip group altogether. I find not worrying about saving them means I can treat each day separately and if one day goes a bit squiffy, I have a fresh new start the next morning! And providing you don't use it too frequently, flexi-synning really does work.

What are flexi syns?

Flexible syns are for when you know you wont be able to or will struggle to stay within your 5-15 syns for a day. You basically think about what you're going to be eating/drinking and how many syns you might need. You allow yourself those extra syns, but most importantly you must keep counting. It's not like having a night off, you must stay fully aware of the syns you're consuming. It really does work, I have lost using this method in the past and there's much less deprivation involved than with saving syns. Obviously you can't do it all the time, but occasionally, I think it works a treat!

My consultant last night said that its advised not to save them but that's what works for me.....it fits in with my lifesyle and I still loose weight so im going to still use them weekly :) im so used to doing it I don't feel deprived on the days I have no syns because its routine to me now....im fine aslong as my free days are filled with yummy free filling foods x

Back