How Did You Become Fat?

I didn't medicate. I'm a psychology student so I'm aware of all the side effects involved and thought them to be more trouble than they're worth. For me personally it was my fault and I blame myself fully. For other people it may be different but I feel that the buck stops with me.

Ironically my GP recently offered me Prozac to help with the urges to eat that I still have... I declined.

I've never been happy with my weight and was always trying to shed a few pounds. Then I started university and spent my first year on a catered campus, where I started eating big meals at dinner and tea time, and started snacking a lot because of boredom. I ended up putting on a stone and a half so now I've finally decided to get back to my original weight and then finally lose the pounds I wanted to all those years ago!

I've read a few of the posts on this thread I want to wish everyone good luck in fixing their relationships with food.

just greed and laziness too many nights in front of the computer eating fast food without thinking about it

Gave up smoking and found a new habit of crisps and crispy baguettes... In the end, i comfort ate because of the fact i felt so fat... Nothing seemed to satisfy me, it was like i was looking for the ultimate feast but luckily i never found it so now i've given up my quest...

I'm not fat now, but back when I was chubby I was super lazy (still am actually :p) and I would eat the wrong foods and plenty of it. I realised I was gaining weight and I wanted to be slim again, so I skipped meals some days and then binged on other days, which resulted in even more weight gain. I then began to follow the weight watchers plan, and lost weight quickly (which then took me to a normal size; I was still very unsatisfied, and I wanted to be so much slimmer). It kind of followed on from there.

Over the course of 2 years, I lost 20 lbs. I would never encourage this on anyone, but when I lost that weight I was exercising and not eating some days, yet other days I was eating copious amounts of (delicious) crap. Trust me, when I say I've eaten a lot, I HAVE eaten a lot! :p I think it might've been because I had puppy fat that just fell off, as opposed to actual weight gain. When I piled on the pounds I was about 13, and I'm 16 now, so my hormones being all over the place could have played a contribution. Additionally, there's a slight chance my metabolism had increased. Not sure.

I was always a slim child untill the age of around 10 - 11. So I guess you could put it down to puberty and starting to develop. Not sure really, but since the age of 11 I have always been overweight for my height.

At 16 I weighed 12 stone, then lost a stone and a half but then gained it all back plus some more to make me 16stone at 21. I know that it was down to eating way too much, I love chinese take aways, chocolate, etc. But what really pushed me over the edge was moving in with my boyfriend and eating the same size portions as he was plus some more!

Well I can't blame anyone/thing but myself.
But the cause was Online Video Gaming.

I started a game called Wolrd Of Warcraft and got quite addicted I would be all all the time and just order take out or eat microwave food and drink mass amounts of cola.

I have quit all online video gaming and the only games I play now are Wii fit and Xbox 360 games in moderation.

Wii fit is a daily to every other day thing for 30+ mins and other games I play maybe 1-2 times at weekends.

Greed & Laziness!

I finished school so didn't have to walk anywhere - moved to the countryside, had to drive everywhere!

I became fat through emotional eating - full stop. Eating to soothe pain, eating to celebrate happiness, eating to fill the boredom, eating because I thought it would make me feel better about myself. For the past 2 years, I have been working on changing, and not emotional eating. It has been a hard journey, but I think Im getting there. I still have the odd day where I over eat, but I havent binged in a long time, and most days I choose healthy eating, and go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I want to be healthy, and fit, and Im getting there.

I became fat through emotional eating - full stop. Eating to soothe pain, eating to celebrate happiness, eating to fill the boredom, eating because I thought it would make me feel better about myself. For the past 2 years, I have been working on changing, and not emotional eating. It has been a hard journey, but I think Im getting there. I still have the odd day where I over eat, but I havent binged in a long time, and most days I choose healthy eating, and go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I want to be healthy, and fit, and Im getting there.

I can totally relate to that, and you are doing fab too x

i've always maintained that food is my addiction, i used to smoke then one day decided to stop, and did. no problems at all, didnt even think about it again (although i smoke now maybe 2-3 times a year when i've had a good drink inside me ;)) but giving up treating food as a friend, well, thats been a lot harder. i can relate to what you said clarri, when something good happens in my life i celebrate with nice (read: fattening) food. when something bad happens, i comfort myself with nice (again...read: fattening) food. i think breaking that mindset is the key to weight loss, unfortunately i'm not quite at that stage on my journey yet. i am trying though.

i haven't, i want so much to be slim and healthy in the next year or so, i am going to slimming world and hope that my mindset will change soon. i'm not quite there, but i'm pushing myself towards it...

The first time I was overweight was due to eating too many 'treats' as was treated badly as a child. Lost 3 1/2stone with WW and learnt how to eat healthily. The second I put weight on was when I got ill and was not able to walk let alone exercise, so although eating the right foods it was too many of them for my drop in mobility. This time round what goes into my mouth is proportional to what I manage to burn off.

Passing my driving test was my undoing... instant lazy cowbag was created, plus my love of carbs, equals recipe for one fat person!!!

Combo of genetics, not doing much excercise, eating the wrong things, going out once or twice a week and eating crisps at pub/chips on way home/rubbish when I got home (not all 3 on the same night though) as I had a habit of not eating before I went out on top of drinking. I was chubby up until I was about 16, slimmed down, and started putting weight back on when I was 21.

Back