How Did You Become Fat?

Hey Nee, your such an inspiration.......I too have some similarities with yourself. Going through childhood seeing and receiving violence on at least a weekly basis, partners the wrong ones for me, currently still with a Mr Evil, so my weight loss is something I am doing for me, depending on the day I have, depends whether I binge eat or not, but I have developed a willpower and not doing it........I am going to do this for me, Mr Evil will realise in the end, so I have a multitude of issues at the moment so being able to focus on my dieting is keeping my mind off other things ♥♥

Hey Nee, your such an inspiration.......I too have some similarities with yourself. Going through childhood seeing and receiving violence on at least a weekly basis, partners the wrong ones for me, currently still with a Mr Evil, so my weight loss is something I am doing for me, depending on the day I have, depends whether I binge eat or not, but I have developed a willpower and not doing it........I am going to do this for me, Mr Evil will realise in the end, so I have a multitude of issues at the moment so being able to focus on my dieting is keeping my mind off other things ♥♥

Ahh nice to know someone has had something similar, but not sure Im any kind of inspiration :)

I hope your not with Mr Evil, cos if your Mr Evil was like my Mr Evil then escape while you can :)

If you need to chat let me know

x

My reply is simple... i ate and i ate... and i ate hehe.

My relationship with food as always been a little unhinged, from being a fat kid, having the comments and mean stuff at school, to having a eating disorder when I was in my teens, starving myself, I know i was 6 stone 10lbs at one point but didnt weigh myself after that and Im sure I lost some more. Then I got a new group of friends and lived off of junk food and got back to a normal weight in a very unhealthy way.

Then my weight gain started again when I was 21 my weight started to slowly go up, my boyfriend is in the Army and when he deploys I eat out of worry, everytime he comes back from tour I have gained more and more weight, bless him, he never says anything but Ive gained over 6 stone since we have been together.

an obsession with food that was undeniably bad for me. Not understanding that feeling full is not the same as feeling stuffed.

Hi Nee, you are an inspiration, some of the things you said hit home with me, but I would rather not say at the moment. I have messaged you tho :)

Hi Nee, you are an inspiration, some of the things you said hit home with me, but I would rather not say at the moment. I have messaged you tho :)

No problem hun, I have replied :)

xx

I apologise in advance for the deepness.

1. I was raised in an environment where I was consistently put down. I remember continually being told that no-one would ever want me. I don't ever remember having (what I know now is) a healthy meal...I did not even taste some fruit/vegetables until I was an adult and could shop for myself. I wasn't allowed to go out much as a kid, therefore exercise was limited to P.E. and walking to and from school.

2. Following on from the 'no-one would ever want you' thing, I was in a consistent abusive situation...no one believed me because they thought surely no one in their right (wrong?) mind would deign to abuse someone who looked like me. Then, I got with someone who was NOT good for me, but I stayed, because I believed I could not do any better.

3. Became a single parent, but managed to get back down to pre-pregnancy weight...however, parenthood on my own with no support, trying to get a decent education (some teachers were downright evil to me....), losing friends etc. took it's toll....I gained 7st in 2 years.

4. From that point, my weight went up in years...2001 = 21st. 2002 = 22st etc.

5. I'm at my all time high weight now...from 1998 to 2010, I gained 18st....an average of 21lbs a year. The sad thing is I cannot tell you what I ate.....(everything?) it's like that entire period is a black hole in my memory. I went from walking everyday and maintaining my 14st frame (despite being called endless names) to being in pain from taking a few steps outside my home. But that first 7st gain? That is what I snowballed from...and I'm trying to come back from it now.

Whoa...never ever EVER even told anyone this, but I'm writing it here because....I don't know, no one ever asked me why...not even my doctor(s). I just now realised that I've never said it out loud... So yeah...I read all the other responses and I stared at this for 45 minutes before I really did feel brave enough to press..."submit reply".

1. I was raised in an environment where I was consistently put down. I remember continually being told that no-one would ever want me. I don't ever remember having (what I know now is) a healthy meal...I did not even taste some fruit/vegetables until I was an adult and could shop for myself. I wasn't allowed to go out much as a kid, therefore exercise was limited to P.E. and walking to and from school.

2. Following on from the 'no-one would ever want you' thing, I was in a consistent abusive situation...no one believed me because they thought surely no one in their right (wrong?) mind would deign to abuse someone who looked like me. Then, I got with someone who was NOT good for me, but I stayed, because I believed I could not do any better.

3. Became a single parent, but managed to get back down to pre-pregnancy weight...however, parenthood on my own with no support, trying to get a decent education (some teachers were downright evil to me....), losing friends etc. took it's toll....I gained 7st in 2 years.

5. I'm at my all time high weight now...from 1998 to 2010, I gained 18st....an average of 21lbs a year. The sad thing is I cannot tell you what I ate.....(everything?) it's like that entire period is a black hole in my memory. I went from walking everyday and maintaining my 14st frame (despite being called endless names) to being in pain from taking a few steps outside my home. But that first 7st gain? That is what I snowballed from...and I'm trying to come back from it now.

Whoa...never ever EVER even told anyone this, but I'm writing it here because....I don't know, no one ever asked me why...not even my doctor(s). I just now realised that I've never said it out loud... So yeah...I read all the other responses and I stared at this for 45 minutes before I really did feel brave enough to press..."submit reply".

Christiana - thanks for making such a brave post. Just remember that none of this crap was your fault. You deserve respect and kindness from others and anyone who can't give you that doesn't deserve your attention. This can be the start of a new you (not that there was anything wrong with the old one) and I believe this forum can help to give you support and understanding. Keep posting (even when you aren't doing well or just want to moan and moan) and we'll be here for you. xx

Thank you Judith :hug99:

Hey Christiana you sound like a great woman. I was sexual abused when I was 16 by someone who was in a role who you automatically trust. I first told someone 2 years ago and like you I kept it to myself for many years. Trust me when I say it starts to get easier as you talk about it i'm here on this site for you if you ever need it and when you get enough posts you will be able to see my email you can always email me. You have gone through loads this site is fantastic for support. I think its wonderful that even tho you went through so much you raised a kid as a single parent that is inspirational and takes a lot of courage.:) So you have already proved those horrible people wrong you sound like a fantastic person. Good luck mate:D

Thank you Kamwendo. I know what you mean about support. :hug99: I think that's what it comes down to really. I'm glad that you've come through such a horrible situation...this is why it irks me when people sometimes just assume that it begins and ends with weight...sometimes there's other stuff going on. I'm thankful that despite everything I'm here, and that I'm getting healthy. It's nice to have people have faith in you, despite setbacks and real life etc. Thank you.

Christiana its no problem I know its hard when you first start the journey not only in the weight but mentally dealing with the bad stuff in your past. By the way my real name is Chris. Its an emotional journey past two years i have gone up and down trying to sort it out, its does start to get easier. I've realised i'm a better person than that man will ever be i'm a lot stronger than he is and now i pity him its no longer anger its pity that they have to resort to that. I have a fantastic husband who loves me no matter, a good family and some great friends, and I know i'm not an idiot. You have a child that I bet you love dearly and i'm sure you have some friends as you are really friendly. I have my fingers crossed for you.:)

Hi Christina,

Thats very brave of you, I had the same thing staring for some time thinking do I really want to reveal my issues from the past, but I tell you what, I think it really helps you to address where problems come from.

People are very easy to judge people, assuming its just about being greedy and eating on purpose but for some its more than that.

I think your very strong and FaNtAsTiC for coming on here, revealing your past and also for doing somthing about the weight. I wish you all the luck xxx

Christiana its no problem I know its hard when you first start the journey not only in the weight but mentally dealing with the bad stuff in your past. By the way my real name is Chris. Its an emotional journey past two years i have gone up and down trying to sort it out, its does start to get easier. I've realised i'm a better person than that man will ever be i'm a lot stronger than he is and now i pity him its no longer anger its pity that they have to resort to that. I have a fantastic husband who loves me no matter, a good family and some great friends, and I know i'm not an idiot. You have a child that I bet you love dearly and i'm sure you have some friends as you are really friendly. I have my fingers crossed for you.:)

Hey hun,

Im sorry you had such a rough ordeal but very proud of you for coming out the other side, you seem so positive too and now having shifted 3lbs your well on your way

xxx

Wow Christiana. What a brave and wonderful post. I think the key to truly conquering our food issues and compulsion to eat is to recognise the issues that lie behind it which is exactly what you've done. Let's face it, I doubt that for any of us it's as simple as liking food too much! There are always underlying emotional issues and I really wish you well and I hope you achieve all that you deserve. You are so much better than those people from your past.

Nee, Lucky Cat, Kamwendo :hug99:

Thank you. I think this place has just gone from great to wonderful! Nee, I read your post and I remember thinking, 'wow' because sometimes weight can be so debilitating that you're stuck in your own bubble and you think that there's nobody that could possibly know how you feel...then I read your post! It was then I started writing mine, and I didn't stop till I got it all out, because I knew if I did, I probably would've over-thought it and not posted.

You're right, I am feeling a lot better about everything. You guys do not know how much your kind words mean to me.

Last edited:
Nee, Lucky Cat, Kamwendo :hug99:

Thank you. I think this place has just gone from great to wonderful! Nee, I read your post and I remember thinking, 'wow' because sometimes weight can be so debilitating that you're stuck in your own bubble and you think that there's nobody that could possibly know how you feel...then I read your post! It was then I satarted writing mine, and I didn't stop till I got it all out, because I knew if I did, I probably would've over-thought it and not posted.

You're right, I am feeling a lot better about everything. You guys do not know how much your kind words mean to me.

Im so glad your feeling better from it, I am too :)

Thank you for being so kind to me too xx

Hey Christiana glad your feeling better, Nee is fantastic i'm on a few challenges with her because she great to know and she supports everyone. Christiana it only takes one person to listen properly to help someone and to show them the goodness that humans can be and support them. Its not much really to help someone just a little bit of time. Remember if you are having a lousy day post it there are a lot of good people on this site and no one judges you I love it.:D

Reading the last few pages of this old link has left me very emotional. It's never really about "food" is it...

I wish all of you tremendous success with your weight loss attempts IF and ONLY IF it makes you happy... don't feel you have to conform to any particular size or shape...

I enjoy the feeling of being in CONTROL when I'm dieting strictly... and so am often guilty I'm sure of pressing on a "self destruct" button when I almost reach my goal... time and time again... back "in control" again I am happier

I could blame it on my depression, it would be very easy to but I overate to extremes that there was no need for and I didn't exercise. Even with my depression there was no reason for me to eat 2 cans of pringles and 2 large bars of chocolate in a row, if anything it actually made me feel worse.

victoria i don't know if you were on antidepressants but certain ones do make people eat as some are used for treating annorexia. I've been on prozac and citlopram and both have side effects that include weight gain and over eating. There were times when i just didn't feel full so would eat and eat and eat. Since i've weaned myself of citlopram i feel so much more in control of food. Don't blame yourself hun, your medication may have been to blame xx

Back