How Did You Become Fat?

Instant_Karma

Lardy Lady
Might seem like an obvious question, but did you have any specific cravings/binges on certain foods which has contributed to your weight gain? Did you realise at the time that they would make you fat?

A couple of years ago, I remember eating literally about 6 pancakes one after the other, each covered in treacle or lemon and sugar. I knew when I was eating it, that it would only exacerbate my weight problem, but at that point I just didn't care. I would also binge on enormous bowls of pasta & cheese, eat a lot of white bread, endless Nutella sandwiches, stodgy high-carb foods like that. I also used to love takeaways and eat them practically every night. I still can't resist Indian curries! but these days I cook them myself and weigh the ingredients /count calories :eek:

Anyway. When I look back at my eating patterns and blatant, blatant gluttony, I just feel angry that I ever let myself get into this situation. It could have been so easily avoided. I have cut my daily cals from around 2500 (and probably more) to 1300 with hardly any struggle at all, it's unbelievable.

Anyone else want to share their food weaknesses? x

Simple answer. Ate too much and didnt exercise. Still feel fat now. Something I am going to have to try and get over!

My weight originally was post baby weight...plus excess weight as i took advantage of the eating for two rather literally lol

I just kinda maintained from then on by eating too much and not moving enough xx

Perversely I know my fat came from my childhood where food was used as a reward/treat and generally there was not quite enough food to satisfy my hunger at meal times. This was not my Mom's fault - she just fed the men in the family lions' portions and the girls small amounts. I was very tall and genuinely felt starving a lot of the time. Then in my teens I discovered the notion of weighing myself and found to my horror I weighed more than my friends (not understanding that at over 6" taller than most of them, I was supposed to). So that was when I first started a diet (or not eat for as long as possible) and messed with my body. Since then its been 35 years of starve and binge - no wonder my body grabs every last calorie - its just waiting for me to starve it again. My relationship with food is truely f**ked up and I don't know if this will ever change.

judith55, that's such a sad story...I do feel for you. I hope you have started to overcome your relationship with food now. Food should be enjoyed and not seen as a binge starve scenario. So far you seem to be doing really well, so keep at it....

My story is nothing like that...as a young child I was always aware that I was a bit bigger than the others but thankfully took no notice...I was fed properly as a kid - healthy meals etc etc...Then puberty hit and my weight just kept going up and up. It was very frustrating as my mum was always big, but my older brother and younger sister have always been slim, like dad...Mum and dad always watched what i ate compared to them and yet I would get bigger and my siblings didn't! It was very hard growing up like that. They would pig out and I wouldn't..It felt the more they ate, the fatter I got!! Then I've had my 2 kids and so got bigger still....my sister just had her 1st baby and within 2 weeks was back into her skinny size 10/12 jeans!! What more can I say? I guess it's just the way it is! Since being on Go Lower though, I do feel better and have been loosing. I don't think I'll ever be the size 10/12, but a good 14-16 I would be happy with. Fingers crossed!

xx

I just comfort ate because I went through a really bad time when I was 17, I remember weighing myself on my 18th Birthday and I was 14st 10lb. In 1996 (4 years later) when I started WW I was 19st 7lb, and it's just crept up and up and up.

I can't remember what it feels like to be slim, and I have no idea what I would look like, but I would like to lose at least half of my body weight, so I can at least feel like my life is worth living again.

xxx

i have always been big, my mum used to give me chocolate as treats, always been rather greedy. When i was about 8 i started my first diet and have been dieting ever since. I distinctly remember easter, my brother would have eggs i would get a new dvd or something not edible. Still greedy still cr@p relationship with food hey ho.....

Up until a few years ago I was always around the 8st 6lb mark. But whereas I used to lose the odd 4lb gained at Christmas & holidays it just stopped coming off as easily.

Then in Nov 08 whilst on hols & feeling fat I decided I really needed to get to grips with my weight. But it wasn't until Feb 09 I joined SW. And I've never looked back :D

I have always been a big girl. I dont have one childhood photo of me slim. I had a stroke when I was 18 months old, which probebly didnt help me when it came to 'running off' all the cals i would eat. As i got older I suppose I didnt want to make an effort to lose weight, as non of my friends had too, so i wanted to be 'normal' and not do it. I took comfort in food and ate out of bordem, comfort and just because i felt i needed somthing to go into my mouth and make me feel better. i was then diagnosed with PCOs which isnt helped with weight , and weight gain is a symptom of the syndrome.

since i have started this journey to a new and healthier life and outlook, my relationship with food is slowly changing. Im open to trying new things, I have changed my portions sizes and what i ate, no longer snacking on packets and packets of crisps and instead having rhyvita minis things like that.

Its going to be a long battle but its one I know wil be worth it.

I have always been a big girl. I dont have one childhood photo of me slim. I had a stroke when I was 18 months old, which probebly didnt help me when it came to 'running off' all the cals i would eat. As i got older I suppose I didnt want to make an effort to lose weight, as non of my friends had too, so i wanted to be 'normal' and not do it. I took comfort in food and ate out of bordem, comfort and just because i felt i needed somthing to go into my mouth and make me feel better. i was then diagnosed with PCOs which isnt helped with weight , and weight gain is a symptom of the syndrome.

since i have started this journey to a new and healthier life and outlook, my relationship with food is slowly changing. Im open to trying new things, I have changed my portions sizes and what i ate, no longer snacking on packets and packets of crisps and instead having rhyvita minis things like that.

Its going to be a long battle but its one I know wil be worth it.

I know how you feel. I also have pcos and so weight is a huge problem. I'm sure that when i go through the 'change of life' all my weight problems will go away too, as they started when I hit puberty! Here's to hoping that the change starts earlier rather than later (I'm 33!)

xx

I can't lay all the blame at her feet, but I realise now that my Mum started my problem with food. She has always struggled with her weight and projected her problems onto me. She had me on diets since I was 7 or 8...she would give me half a grapefruit to eat for breakfast & lunch & fat free yoghurts; yet the cupboards were crammed with biscuits, chocolate and crisps that I wasn't allowed to eat. Of course, I started to eat in secret and it kind of spiralled from there. The more weight I gained, the more she would try to make me diet and the more I would secretly binge.

When I moved out of home at 18, I had the freedom to eat what and when I wanted without her nagging me so I continued to binge and the pounds continued to pile on...and the heavier I got, the harder it was to face the challenge of starting to lose the colossal amount of weight I'd gained, so the diet always started on Monday but Monday never seemed to come around...

It was only last year when I formed a friendship with a new person at work who also has food issues (very different to mine, but issues nonetheless) that I started to be able to talk about my food problems with someone who understood what it was like to have a dysfunctional relationship with food. And suddenly the strength that I hadn't managed to find before materialised and I stared on my looooooong diet journey.

Unhappiness, boredom, lonliness, parental impact, laziness, shyness. I think all of these are factors that have affected why I was overweight for most of my childhood and into adult hood.

I think if you are taught incorrect eating habbits from a young age it takes a long long time to adjust and come to terms with what should be happening and what shouldnt.

Life experiences, TV shows - such as the supersize v's superskinny, will certainly make me become a different mother to what I would have say 5 or 6 years ago.

I got fat through illness and steroids.

That was 5 years ago so I have no excuse now - I stayed fat because I ate too much of the wrong things- simple as that :sigh:

xx

I put on lots of weight when I was unemployed. I also used to drink alot and would not go out my house for weeks at a time. I would eat take aways all the time. I am disgusted thinking about it.

Thank you for sharing your story Lola Belle. I think our awareness of the role our parents played in our developing relationship with food should help us be better parents. I understand why a mother would not want their child to be fat but how this is handled has to be sensitive and gentle.

I was well into adulthood before I realized that my mother, who always served herself tiny portions and even left food on her plate, was nonetheless overweight. It makes me suspect she may have been a secret eater and unwittingly passed her hangups over food on to me. I don't blame my mom as she didn't know what she was doing but I do feel the irony when she goes on at me about my being overweight.

My mum is also overweight, and my siblings are skinny...because I am so much like her in every way, she would try to stop me eating certain foods whilst my brother and sister were allowed anything! Life is unfair..however, having said all that, I don't blame my parents. They clearly wanted the best for me. With my kids I am so totally different. They both belong to gym classes even though they are only 3 and 6. I make sure they go swimming, play in the park, run everywhere, dance at home all the time and of course have a healthy varied diet. Hopefully they'll learn that with exercise, fun and eating well they will have a good relationship with their food and in turn not be overweight like their mummy!

xx

I know how you feel. I also have pcos and so weight is a huge problem. I'm sure that when i go through the 'change of life' all my weight problems will go away too, as they started when I hit puberty! Here's to hoping that the change starts earlier rather than later (I'm 33!)

xx

Oh, this! I was a really slim child and then I seemed to pile the weight on when I was 12/13 and going through puberty, now I'm 18 and absolutely adamant not to be a fat adult. I also have PCOS which doesn't help things. Motivation motivation :D

I started puberty earlier than my friends and was taller than them for a good 4 years. It made me self consious about exercise. I was also a really fussy eater with a very sweet tooth so ate all the wrong things. By the time I met my ex, I was a size 16 but over the years, his bad eating habbits (take aways and fried food) had a knock on effect on me along with the fact that I stayed in the relationship when I clearly wasn't happy with him and ended up as size 22/24. Luckily, when we split, I naturally dropped two dress sizes but I'm constantly battling with my appetite now. I eat pretty healthy now but the sweet tooth is still a killer.

why am i fat? well i have always been a big eater (healthy though) but used to exercise enough to keep the weight down until bout 2 years ago when i lost my dog and the shock hit me more than anything. the weight just piled on:( its about time now i did something bout it:)

Back