How did you choose your goal weight?

morenachica

Silver Member
I was just wondering how did you guys choose our goal weight? Maybe this post is not in the right forum but I was curious to know how did you decide.

I chose 130 because of my height and also according to the BMI I shouldnt weight not more that 145 to stay in a normal weight range. I was thinking of going for 128 just to give myself even more of a cushion..

I thought about when I remeber being slimmer - last year I got down to 9st 4, but I want to go for really skinny this time so am aiming for 9st... though really it's a guide to motivate my weigh-ins, I am aiming for a size 8-10 (if my hips will allow it!).

When I get my body fat % measured I may go with that instead...

My osteopath said I needed to be about 13 stone - 172lb - if I want to play on a surfboard or snowboard so I've been using that as a goal. I'm quite large framed, so if I still need to lose I'll keep going.

Jar sweetie, 13 stone is 182lb :) I know cos i'm almost there now and it's teasingly close! 172lb = 12.3 stone ish.

When i initially started losing weight with cd back in feb i wasn't sure what goal to chose. I wanted to lose weight for the police. The police doc asked me to try to lose 10kg before he'd be happier signing me off before training, i went back after having lost over 20kg. Then my next goal was to get a bmi below 30 as i had to do another medical to get into the regulars rather than the specials. I was chuffed to bits to get below 30bmi and that felt like a real achievment for me to be signed off again by the police doc.

Now i'm aiming for the top end of the healthy range of bmi for my height. I don't honestly think i could ever be much below that as i'm large boned and quite sturdy built! Even the doc said the same :( So, i'd love to be in the healthy range and that's what i'm aiming for. Just to be able to say and know myself that i'm no longer officially classes as 'overweight'.

Claire I guess it does depends on your body structure and what will look right on your body. But aiming to be classified as not overweight is a great thing.. I wish I had you guys height..

Jar that's a good goal and if it was advised by a doctor then that's a good thing...

Hooya I still cant believe you cant get into a size 10. You are 3/4 inches taller than me and I'm in some of my size 10 clothes.. It must be your body structure but I have 39 inch hips but a 28 inch waist. most of my weight is around my lower half with big thighs but I will say that I'm very muscular in my legs from my old college and high school days of competing in running events.. I used to want that super skinny look but even when I was size 6( which I'm aiming for and 128/130 will get me there) I still had these thunder muscular thighs so Ive accepted that i want be 5'8 and have long slender legs just tree stumps LOL

Initially I was just aiming at getting under 20 Stone i.e. 280 lbs, once I managed that I thought maybe I could make my Army weight of 131/2 stone which is where I am know give or take the odd pound or two.

Claire I guess it does depends on your body structure and what will look right on your body. But aiming to be classified as not overweight is a great thing.. I wish I had you guys height..

Hooya I still cant believe you cant get into a size 10. You are 3/4 inches taller than me and I'm in some of my size 10 clothes.. It must be your body structure but I have 39 inch hips but a 28 inch waist. LOL

I must be having the same issue Hooya, i know of some of my friends who are around 210lbs and fit into 16's no problem. I'm now 185 but still struggling to fit into 16's on the bottom half. I don't think i'd have much problem now on the top half though. It's so frustrating.

It's got to be body shape, and maybe you have wide hip bones Claire.

But a lot more help when you have children though.

My original target was to be the same weight I was before I started cancer treatment, which is when I piled on 2.5 stone through inertia, steroids and comfort eating. So I was aiming to be 150lbs and to fit back into the size 12 dress I wore to my brother's wedding the week before I started treatment. But I had a rethink recently, and realised that even at that weight/size I wasn't particulary comfortable or happy with my body and always wished I could lose another half stone or so. So I recently dropped my target to 140lbs, and aim to stay within 140-145 when I go into maint. But I'll also be very happy to reach 150lbs/that dress, so might stop there if I feel like it.

Nice idea for a thread, morena, I think it's a good idea to remind myself of my original goals and reasons for doing this. I've been feeling a little unfocussed and drifting a little lately.

Thanks Claire, I didn't realise I'd miscalculated. oops!

It's good to hear everyones reasons for doing this. If we're ever tempted or go off track we can come back to this thread. Well done More!

I've just notice you're the same height as me & have the same goal weight Lady M, I'll have to try & catch you up! :p

Actually I haven't updated my stats with my holiday gain, so we're currently exactly the same weight! :eek: Almost the same start weight as well!

The way things are going for me lately it's going to be me playing catch-up...

My goal is a bmi goal really, just into the 'allowed' range for my height. I would rather go by dress size but alas after my son and rapid weight gain im all horribly shaped around the midrift and i have a horrid overhang:cry: so sizing is a big issue for me

So i will just have to see how happy i am as i go down the lbs .

Viks ME TOO!!!! I SHOULD be a size 22-24 BUt I wear 18-20 jeans as my 'apron' sort of squishes.....ick My oldest son is 22, then I have a son 8 & youngest is 6. After 22 years of hating my body it's time for a change. How old is your son?
I've never been below13 1/2 stone (only for a couple of months too, after Slim-fast..ick)& it's mostly been 16-18 stone, I'd love to be under 11 stone.
xxxxxsharon

My son is 4 an a half, now and i was a size 12 as i was pregnant then i stuffed my face silly( various reasons) plus the baby stretching, i went right up to a 18, then after the birth i shoved more food into me rising to a size 24.

im in dorothy perkins size 18 jean at the moment but i dont have much hope of getting back into 12s ....tummy tuck perhaps!

An your right voodoo, change is good, very good especially when you decide to do it for yourself

Claire I agree with Jim it must be your body structure, but he's right child rearing hips will help you out when you want kids :)

I'm refering to the US sizes.. so If I was a US 6 that would be a UK 8 right?

Thanks Laura and all of the others for commenting on starting this thread. I was curious as to how others came up with their goal weight. It is a good reminder and motivation to stay on track and reach your goal.. I like seeing the goal getting closer and closer...

I'm off to the states on a 4 week holiday and I plann to stick to my diet. I'm hoping to lose the same as I'm doing now but mayeb a bit more since I'll be hiking, climbling and being way more active than here..

I had a horrid "apron" for a long time but as I went through OWL it started to go away, I have the smallest bit of loose skin now, that's all.

jim you give me a tiny light of hope that it might 'go away' a little bit at least

I think what happened was that I lost weight so fast my skin couldn't keep up Viks, as I slowed down in OWL it started to catch up. :D

Back