How do i stay awake when i'm driving?

Karen1972

Gold Member
Hi guys

I need some tips please!!!

I drive a lot for my job and especially in the mornings i find the driving very tiring... So much so i can actually feel my eyes rolling to the back of my head - very scary.

I've tried drinking tea, water and coke zero - nothing helps. Well one thing works a treat - EATING :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Obviously i cannot afford to eat whilst driving so can anyone else give me some idea of what else i can do?!?!?!

Thanks!

The first answer that sprang to mind is illegal so wont go there but Proplus ive heard works well. Failing that windows down and loud music.

I always found having the air con on or windows down worked for me.

If I had my work head on though, Id say, stop when you feel tired, get out the car, have a coffee etc but I know thats not always practical.

Hi Karen

That is scary. Are you getting enough sleep? Do you fit in a shower in the mornings to really wake you up? I'm assuming you don't drink black coffee? The only other thing I can think of would be maybe aromatherapy, maybe some oils in the car may help. Do they still sell smelling salts? Gosh I hope someone else has some helpful advice for you.

Dizzy x

Thanks guys - well i have tried pro plus and i don't like coffee but maybe i should try to force down an espresso?!? actually that would be better than eating eh??

I don't get enough sleep at the mo, my body clock is all over the place after the xmas hols!!! I'm usually ok coming home it's just the mornings that kill me.

I do have a bath in the mornings and it takes me at least 1.5 hours to get ready in the morning so i should be wide awake!!

I sometimes have to drive for 3-4 hours before i reach my destination and i start to struggle after an hour or so....

Thanks for your comments - i hear speed is good for weight loss too - 2 birds with one stone eh? lol

Hey Karen, a fella I knew at home could only stay awake with the window open....his car was always like an ice box...but its pretty difficult to sleep when your so cold!! But wear gloves or else your fingers might fall off!!

T

Thanks for your comments - i hear speed is good for weight loss too - 2 birds with one stone eh? lol

Thats all slimming pills are, legalised speed. Tried both kinds in my youth. Too old and scared of the health issues to use it now. Know women and men that live on it though.

Hi Karen

Please try to get more sleep sweetie. I'm going to worry about you now!

Dizzy x

Hey Kazz

Yeah i've tried air con on lowest setting, windows open (ruins hairdo tho) and music on full blast - even tried singing - but when your body wants a snooze it wants a freakin snooze!!!!

I was doing brill on my diet the yesterday on my way to work i could feel my eyes going (i had another 2 hours to go) so i called into a services with M&S and bought some chicken fillets - OK i thought that can replace my first pack - it's protein and i want to stay alive so fine. That sorted me right out...

Coming home i felt the tired bug again (unusual on way home) so no M&S services only crappy ones - i had sandwich, crisps and choc all times twice and then topped it off with fish chips and curry sauce when i got home - WTF?

I am like an alkie with food - all or NOTHING!

I gotta find a solution for this though cos it's gonna happen at least once a week!

Just another thought, if you are not managing to do LL correctly at the moment and missing packs etc, have you tried taking extra vitamins? If your run down you will be more tired, regardless of how much sleep you manage to get...

God, I hope you find a solution soon, its so dangerous, and you really shouldnt be taking chances like that especially when driving/travelling seems to be such a big part of your job.

Thats all slimming pills are, legalised speed. Tried both kinds in my youth. Too old and scared of the health issues to use it now. Know women and men that live on it though.

Yeah i've tried those pills too!!!! Think they were the first things to wreck my metabolism!!!:eek:

Hi Karen

Please try to get more sleep sweetie. I'm going to worry about you now!

Dizzy x

Ahhhhhh bless ya darlin'! Don't worry though i'll be fine... if it gets too bad i'll eat! But gonna try everything else first - am off to portsmouth again tomorrow so may try to force feed myself an espresso if i need it :p

Don't worry babes! I'm a sensible gal!

Hi Kate and Kazz

Kate - that seems a bit drastic!! but i'll keep it as an option if i can't control it any other way yikes!

Kazz - I don't miss packs when i do LL properly altho i haven't done it properly for ages - eating far too much real food!!!! Actually when i do LL proper i'm very alert !!!

Hi Karen

Just thought did I once read that there is Red Bull zero? That's meant to be a stimulant isn't it?

OK I won't worry, but you better make sure you post regularly!

Dizzy x

Well, you know, I don't know your situation but if it's a choice between falling asleep at the wheel or eating, I'd eat. If you can't eat and caffeine doesn't help, something drastic might be necessary! Your doctor could (obviously) give you better advice about it than I could, but it's worth being aware of it as an option.

Dizzy - thanks again honey, i will post regularly i promise!!

Kate - i'm hoping it's a temp blip cos i'm getting back to a work regime after 3 weeks off.... and yeah i would always eat rather than risk falling asleep at the wheel...

What's espresso like then??? I've tried instant coffee several times but altho i can stomach it i just don't enjoy it ya know? People have said proper coffee is much better, is it really?? i thought the smell of it is harsher than instant????

i would always eat rather than risk falling asleep at the wheel...

Oh I know, I wasn't thinking you were completely mad! :eek:

Once you get back into a routine it'll probably all fall into place, you'll get used to it and you won't feel so tired any more. Until then caffeine is probably the best short term easy fix IMHO.

Just pinch your nose and get it down your neck girl!

:D

Edit: this is not meant to sound filthy

Back