How do they work this out?!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Sarah23fly, 15 October 2011 Social URL.

1. Sarah23fly

Sarah23fly Want to lose a stone!

Diet:
    SW
    Ive been using the search option here to find out the syn value of Sacla.

I read its 1syn to ever 20 calories. I thought thats good to know, I didnt know that!

Then went to the fridge for a Mulle Light and suddenly wondered... How are they free when they average 80-90 calories a pot?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. lardylady

lardylady Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    8st10lb(46.21%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World: Green Days
    The 1 syn = 20 calories rule applies only to strictly treat foods that have no free food allowance, such as pasta sauces/biscuits/crisps/chocolate etc

4. PatchworkPuss

PatchworkPuss Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st1lb
    Lost(%):
    7st3.5lb(39.42%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    The 1 syn for every 20 calories doesn't work for things that have free foods as a main ingredient. Some, or in this instance all of the calories come from a free food so it gets a special allowance that reduces the syn value. But you can use the rule for any other foods, and that is not just snack foods and treats.

5. Sarah23fly

Sarah23fly Want to lose a stone!

Diet:
    SW
    Oh I see! That is good to know when Im in the supermarket thanks!

6. Jodieboo

Jodieboo Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    17st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st12lb(4.76%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World/Calorie Counting
    I use the 20 cal 1 syn quite often. Especially while buying new things :) However, i'm not sure SW endorses this way of thinking as when I mentioned it to my consultant, she had no knowledge of it. x

7. IanH

IanH Silver Member

Start Weight:
    27st8.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    15st11.5lb(57.31%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World (but it ain't a diet)
    Jodieboo - i'm surprised about your consultant not knowing about it - but shouldn't be - i told another one about it some time ago. It's actually the calaculation that the snackulator on the SW website uses. But as others have said - if there's a large part of the ingredients that would be classed as free/superfree - then it doesn't work and if not in syns-online the syns calculator would give a better idea. But as a rough and ready for unknown items - it's a good guide - though may over calculate the syns (until able to check properly that is).

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.