How do we really see ourselves??

Jezebella

Playing the Angel
I had a pretty interesting lightbulb moment today. So thought I would share it to see if any one else has had similar experiences.

When I was overweight, I knew I was, but realistically never saw myself as fat as I really was. I only realised the full horror when I have looked back at pictures. However, today this happened in a reverse way.

I was in another unit and one of the ladies there is really thin, or in my mind really thin - tiny infact. When I arrived our accountant was there, and commented that I looked great and was so lovely and thin now, and then said you and H are the same size. I did a double take. In my head she was much smaller than me. So I said to her, "no no, impossible, H you must be a size 6?" She replied that no she was a size 8 - which is realistically what I am now. I was absolutely gobsmacked! Asked her again to be sure. She said that we were the same size and it sort of hit me, that I am thin, really thin. Why can I not see my true size even now???

Very strange stuff, but did make me realise that I probably should not be loosing any more weight because if I am the same size as she is, and I consider her to be almost too thin, then I must be too???

Jez
xx

thats brillant jez
i have people commenting me every day it is slightly frustrating, people stopping me mid-way and saying WOW you look good, and i agree back when i was fat i actually thought i look okay, but watching family videos and seeing pictures made me think Woah was that me, but now ive lost it im ecstatic :)

As my sis said the other night, and very wisely so - I used to be a thin person in a fat person's body, now I am a fat person in a thin person's body!!

Jez
xx

lol spot on there.

When I went back to California, last year, I went to my bestest gals house, and she to me has always been the epitomy of health and fitness. Slim, trim, beautiful and just a real inspiration.

She told me to try on her jeans - I laoughed and said theyd never fit. But she made me.

They were too big. Iwas GOBSMACKED. Did not see myself slimmer then her in a million years.

Strange, we do have unrealistic impressions of oursleves no matter what size we are.

Makes you wonder if all those skinny minis always used to say they needed to lose weight, really were not trying to get attention, but they too maybe really did see themselves heavier then they were. ??

Wierd.

Iknow exactly what you mean Jez. It's so difficult to know how you look to others and you can't go round constantly saying"am I bigger than her? OR "do i look like that?
Maybe knowing that you are a similar size to the other lady will enable you to ease up on yourself with the continuing to lose more weight cycle.
Losing successfully is very addictive. It is so hard to stop it when it has been youe total focus for months on end -
but, we can't go on losing forever - we'd waste away!

Indeed, well if I am as thin as she is then I am more than thin enough!!! She looked tiny and almost fragile to me, perhaps it is the wake up call I needed??? Would just give anything for a bit of plastic fantastic on my tummy. No matter what I do it still has fat and is totally flabby. I dream of it being nice and flat and firm.

Jez
xx

and it will be Jez! Goodness woman give youself a chance! You have done incredibly well and those things are the things to follow with toning and exercise, unfortunately that is the bit that will take time but hey we wouldn't go back eh ;)

Kat xx

haha brilliant hun and why not!

Kat xx

Never ever ever going backk

No way nor me! xx

:) :)

SOmeone once suggested to me to have a video camera out and to have someone take a short fil of you walking around as normal, maybe through town, or a park - somewhere where other people are, so you see yourself 'live' among other normal or average size people. You should get a better idea of how you look, as opposed to still shots. Seems reasonable and something I have wanted to try but havent yet. :)

OOh what a good idea, perhaps I need to find someone who can film me walking around! I always think still shots make me look distorted.

Jez
xx

I think that is a fantastic idea and I am going to ask Rik to do that!

Kat xx

As my sis said the other night, and very wisely so - I used to be a thin person in a fat person's body, now I am a fat person in a thin person's body!!

Jez
xx

totally sums it up for me.

daisy x

Back