How do you deal with non believers....

Penpen

or right out nasty people that tells you off for being on CD??

It's my 4th week now and people are starting to notice that I have lost weight and of course being women ask what I am doing.
This one girl almost shouted at me telling me it's dangerous and this and that!!

I'm not the kind of person to take these things personally but this girl hardly even knows me and I've had similar encounters like that over the last week.

Any good replies that you guys have??

I try and explain to them but they just dont understand....

Any advice or past experiences with this??

xoxo

Do what I do, just tell them that it is approved my 95% of doctors as a way of losing weight. It is actually used in hospitals to help people lose weight quickly if that is what is needed before they can have an op (both true!).
Once people know doctors endorse (sp) the diet they generally shut up.

Dont try to explain yourself at all.

Basically you've made a choice and you feel it's right for you at the moment and it's working. It may not be forever (the same diet for your entire journey) and perhaps mention that your disappointed that they feel that way.

People can be jealous about others getting ahead. Even envy, that you are empowering yourself. Stick to your guns and try not to give them too much detail and allow them to enter into a full blown debate, that may in the end upset you.

Keep at it and we are all here to listen and support you.

Brenda
X

i always say opinions are like arse holes , everyones got one ! and some stink! and smile warmly afterwards xxxxx
Just had to add that bit in, lol!

i always say opinions are like arse holes , everyones got one ! and smile warmly afterwards xxxxx

Unfortunately I don't have strangers or acquiantances saying such things to me but barbiegirl's response is exactly the kind of thing I'd say.

I have a face like thunder and tower over most people so...:p

The one comment that always irks me is the one about CD or VLCD's being dangerous.
If the diet was dangerous, it would not be on the market. It can be dangerous to people who follow it without the proper supervision but under normal circumstances it is safe.

The one comment that always irks me is the one about CD or VLCD's being dangerous.
If the diet was dangerous, it would not be on the market. It can be dangerous to people who follow it without the proper supervision but under normal circumstances it is safe.

Smoking can be deemed flipping dangerous ... how many these people openly preached to smokers ... I would suggest not many.

its exactly what you have experienced is the reason why I haven't told many people - I can't understand why people can't be happy that we are all making the effort to do something about our weight :( but as I have said on a previous post people always have to have an opinion and 9/10 they just can't be positive.

I am a student nurse and all I know is that surely being overweight is more dangerous to our bodies (like risk of heart attack)than losing the weight on a diet and becoming far more healthy.

I say their negativity just spurs me on to succeed and I wait for them all to say how fantastic I look when all the fats gone :)

Just ignore them and do what makes you happy

I only told my family, a couple of them tried to give me their opinion, with judgmental tones even when my mother asks how I am doing, its always followed with so have you started eating yet, so I just never give them the opportunity to say anything else. I just say I am doing great, and change the subject.

The only reason I told my family was we tend to go out alot and I knew it wouldnt be something I would be able to hide from them.

I dont tell anyone else though. Anyone else say in work or whoever who asks what I am doing I just say I am really being healthy and good and doing lots of exercise. Dont really care what their opinion is, but if anyone tried to shout at me, I'd just tell them to mind their own business and walk away.

Sorry for the silly post earlier - just in a silly mood.
I have however, something sensible to say to this subject as well:
My GP is 100% behind me! When I said to her the other day that I was thinking of maybe trying to loose the rest on SW or something else she said " why not stick with what you know works?"
That shows me that she is happy with CD. My friends and family are great and I guess I have been lucky because I haven't really had a lot of negativity just things along the lines of "don't loose too much"...:rolleyes:

Just stick to your guns and prove all of the negative people wrong. You will be the one to shine at the end of the journey and that's the most important thing..

xxx

Oh dear, no hope for me then ...I am on CD AND I am a smoker....:eek:

that's the end...

lol
xxx

lol. they'll be burning effagies outside your door in a few months :D :giggle:

I've had a few people telling me its unhealthy and they are usually fatties! I just say "well so is being 4 stone overweight"

It's usually the jealous ones that have an opinion. URGH!

i simply tell them to mind their own business, i am in control of my life and i will decide what is right for me.

I found most people hadn't heard of Cambridge so I just explained it's a meal replacement plan (bit like slimfast). No-one told me it was unhealthy- prob cos I was bursting with energy - but some were/are scepticall that it has long term benefits - just need to prove them wrong!

This one girl almost shouted at me telling me it's dangerous and this and that!!

Tell them your doctor has approved it and walk away. It has nothing at all to do with anyone else what diet you are doing.

Back