How do you decide?

kati

Gold Member
how do you decide what to set your goal weight as?

I know I could use getting to a bmi of 25 as a goal but I know when I was that weight in the past I was still desperate to lose weight so even if I get there I still might not be happy with myself.

So how did you all decide what your goal weight should be?

Hi, I went for a BMI of 25. for me that's 10st 4, I'm 5ft 4 and in the past I've been a size 14 at that weight. This time though, I'm 10lbs from there and already wearing 10's (from M&S on my botton half) and 12's. I think it's because I never exercised before and now do weight training (muscle burns more fat and doesn't wobble) and winsor pilates. Pilates makes you look like you dropped a dress size without losing weight and I use slendertone belt too.

I want to get down to the weight I was when I met my Fiance and in time for our wedding.

So I'm aiming for 3 stone and that will make me a size 12.

Maybe set your BMI of 25 as your first goal and then keep going until you feel happy.

Gemx

I don't think you really know until you get there. You can have a rough idea by past history or BMI, but I believe you need to reassess when you get closer.

I thought I was at goal once, but wasn't sure:confused: I had asked my CDC to tell me when to stop as I didn't have a clue what I looked like and I trusted her.

I chose to stop before that though. When I went back to SSing, a few pounds later, I just knew that I was there. No doubt in my mind...it was the right weight for me.

Strangely, I didn't say anything to her, but went to see her for my normal appointment and she said "that's it...you're there":cool:

well how i first arrived at a goal was, i thoguht back to when was 18urs old and i did modelling, i was between 12.5st and 13st, ( i was 5` 11`) then i thought well 26yrs later at 44 a stone on top would be ok, so i set my origional goal at 14st, but now im 9lb off that i think i might go for 13.5st or even 13st, i will see how i feel at those weights, i suppose your thinking that sounds too heavy but i am tall and i am big anyway even when i am slim, think grace jones lol, even when i was in the army and very fit i was 13st, and i ran all the time then,

I just think of what a sensible weight is for my height.

I am 5ft 5 3/4... and I can not remember being under 11 st... so this is my first target. My BMI says something crazy like 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 stone I think... but I can't possibly imagine being under 10 stone.

I think it also depends a lot on how you carry your weight.... how it is distributed. People always obsess over how much they weigh as their target... I think measurement is much more important... and the input from your friends... and the different way people behave around you...

When u notice a marked imrovement.. and people are saying you should consider maintaining then maybe that is time to start thinking. Obviously if u start looking gaunt then u have gone to far! .... it's important to be able to stay real with yourself... so u know that your mind is in the right place!? If you can't trust yourself... its a great idea to trust others!

This is a subject close to my heart at the moment as I have decided to start management next week...i think :rolleyes:

My goal weight has changed 3 or 4 times over the course of the diet. You just won't know what it will be until you get there. As it turns out, I knew what I used to be at 22 years old - I'm 33 now - but I have had a child since then.

I'll probably end up at about 1/2 stone heavier but the real surprise is the change in my shape.

I have always be bigger at the bottom than I am at the top but now it has swapped over. I have not more weight to lose from the top because I have no chest and my size is dictated by my broad back.

The only weight I have left to lose is in the bingo wings on my inner thights and my waist and floppy belly. These areas are only going to be sorted out by exercise and toning and not by dieting. That is a big surprise given how much I thought I wanted to weigh.

Keep going until you are happy and don't surprised if you keep changing your mind on where you want to be, try to be flexible. Your goal may well be based on size and look rather than weight.

My initial goal is 10 stone 4 which will give me a BMI of 25.
Like others my body shape is different now from when I was last a size 14, and I am actually 1/2 stone heavier than I was last time I was a 14!

I do think that body shape and bone mass accounts for a lot, and so one height and weight suits one person, but not another. My mum is the same height as me, wear a size 12 and weighs 8 stone 11 (she probably could fit into some size 10's). I am now 11stone 11 and wearing mostly size 14, but can fit into some size 12's. I am much larger busted though and I have large boned wrists, ankles, big fingers etc! I know that if I was ever 8 stone 11 I would be about a size 8 (at least on the bottom!) I would be top heavy and would probably have a very scrawny neck etc!

I think that when I reach 10stone 4, and I have toned up and given my skin a chance to shrink a little, I will be a comfortable size 12, with possibly the occasional size 10. I will be happy with that!

I agree with everyone else, you just have to see how you feel when you get to goal, and there is no reason why you can't move your goal as you get closer to it.

Dawn

Thanks everyone. I think I will set my goal t 9 stone but if I'm happy before that then I will stop dieting. I'd love to be a size 10, haven't been that size since I was 15.

I must get to the gym more often and start doing pilates too!! lol

Back