How do you feel about large consultants?

My old slimming world consultant told me that consultants were supposed to be within 2 stone of target. If this right?

I don't go to group ( I went once to get books) and have to say that I think consultants should be within a healthy BMI range (imo).

For me, walking in to a slimming club is one of the scariest things you can do...obviously everyone is there for the same reason but it still feels horrible walking in and like all eyes are on you. I personally want proof that the plan works, that it can take you to a healthy weight and that it is sustainable. Having a consultant who is clearly overweight is not motivational imo.

I know people have mentioned that it shows they're human and are battling their food demons too, whilst that's great, I would prefer them to have battled them before becoming a consultant, to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that you can get there. Just my tuppence worth :)

I don't go to group ( I went once to get books) and have to say that I think consultants should be within a healthy BMI range (imo).

For me, walking in to a slimming club is one of the scariest things you can do...obviously everyone is there for the same reason but it still feels horrible walking in and like all eyes are on you. I personally want proof that the plan works, that it can take you to a healthy weight and that it is sustainable. Having a consultant who is clearly overweight is not motivational imo.

I know people have mentioned that it shows they're human and are battling their food demons too, whilst that's great, I would prefer them to have battled them before becoming a consultant, to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that you can get there. Just my tuppence worth :)

totally agree with you hun

How about this, someone who had got to and stayed at target for a while then slowly a stone has gone back on and that person has struggled like hell to get that stone back off. Should that person be a consultant? Is that person not motivational and inspiring?

How about this, someone who had got to and stayed at target for a while then slowly a stone has gone back on and that person has struggled like hell to get that stone back off. Should that person be a consultant? Is that person not motivational and inspiring?

Whilst their loss and efforts are certainly commendable and to be applauded-any loss/progress/effort should be I personally just don't think they would motivate me in the same way as a 'healthy' consultant. My main problem with losing weight in the past has been piling it back on.
I want to know that when the weight comes off you can keep it off-when it comes to things like illness or pregnancy adding weight then that is a completely different issue as it's out of their control but the point of SW (well one of them) is surely to show us that the lifestyle is sustainable and that as long as you food optimise you surely should be able to maintain a healthy weight.
I am in no way saying it's easy (given that I can't even get to freeking target lol) but that is what I would prefer to see in a consultant :) In fairness it is all completely irrelevant to me as I don't go to group lol :)

I definitely think its a personal preference, it all depends on what members are looking for in a consultant, there's no such thing as perfect but there should be different factors to consider because when it comes down to it it's more about the personal issues of the member than the overall factors of the consultant.

Slimming world allow people to set their own targets which is part of what I love about sw as someone who didn't want to get to a certain weight decided by someone else.
The c I had previously was smaller than me but was struggling to get to what I considered a really low target all the time I was with her. I lost about 9 stone in that 2 year period but she never got to her target and for that and other reasons I found she no longer motivated me but according to some of the comments on here because she was smaller than me she would be more inspiring etc as a consultant. I actually felt she couldn't understand my 'journey' and thought that because I was so big the weight loss was easy for me.
We are all different though and are inspired and motivated in different ways and relate to different people.
I believe SW have changed it so you don't have to be at target or within a certain weight zone to be a consultant any more I wonder what their reasons for this are and why they think that people who are still overweight can be good consultants.

If I had read that the diet works and knew other people it worked for then I don't think I my self would be particularly put off by the larger consultant.
But if I didn't hear any of the above then it would definitely put me off by first impressions.. Realistically to be a consultant of a dieting group you should your self be an example of what you can achieve with the diet.

I get people's points about wanting to know and see there consultant has been successful on SW but fail to see how this is linked to their actual size/weight. Why is a large consultant who's lost 10 stone, as mine has, deemed less worthy than a slim consultant who has lost maybe 2 stone? The only thing your consultant should be judged on is their ability to do the job. I should say I am only 4lb off the 7 stone I needed to lose to get to target and couldn't have done it without the help of my consultant.

I must say I've been watching this thread with interest as I've just been accepted as a consultant (open my group in January) but am still not yet at target. I've lost just short of ten stones and have gone from a size 30ish to a 16 but am still about 2.5 stones away from target. I've wanted to be a consultant for ages but was put off because I wondered if some people would see me there, clearly not at target, and think 'hmm does it actually work then? Look at the size of her and she's a consultant!' I was reassured by my team developer and area manager that it wasn't necessary for me to be at target and that actually it might make me empathise more if I was still on my own journey too, but having read some of these comments I'm starting to worry now! I don't want anyone to walk into my group and think I'm too fat to be a role model! :(

Mrs Scandude, don't let the comments made by a few of us put you off achieving your goal. There are probably more people on this thread saying they would prefer a consultant who is still on their journey than those who say they would want one with a Healthy BMI.

Different strokes for different folks and all that. Yes, some people might find it difficult to be motivated initially but that's where your 'selling' of the programme comes in to play. Obviously you will have the opportunity to explain your journey and experience to new members.

I hate to think I've made anyone think like they can't inspire others, that really wasn't my intention with the post and have to say (although it now sounds contradictory) that a lot of bigger members on here truly amaze me with their losses and determination. My point with the consultancy was that I just felt that for me, I would rather (initially at least) see someone who the plan has helped get to a healthy weight and stay there so that I too could know that I could do it because that's MY goal.

MrsScandude said:
I must say I've been watching this thread with interest as I've just been accepted as a consultant (open my group in January) but am still not yet at target. I've lost just short of ten stones and have gone from a size 30ish to a 16 but am still about 2.5 stones away from target. I've wanted to be a consultant for ages but was put off because I wondered if some people would see me there, clearly not at target, and think 'hmm does it actually work then? Look at the size of her and she's a consultant!' I was reassured by my team developer and area manager that it wasn't necessary for me to be at target and that actually it might make me empathise more if I was still on my own journey too, but having read some of these comments I'm starting to worry now! I don't want anyone to walk into my group and think I'm too fat to be a role model! :(

I'd much prefer someone like you who knows the plan backwards because you're already well on your way to target than a very slim C who lost 2-3 stone. But that's just me x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You've lost 10st, that's inspirational. I really think the before/after pics of a consultant is a brill idea, and I bet yours are amazing. You are proof it does work

I am so with you on this, I no longer read the "Success" stories in the SW mags I just cut out the recipes I want, as I was getting disheartened with reading things like "I was a big fat mess at 13st 5lbs" When I weigh far more now than their starting weight, and am starting to feel a bit better about myself, so steer clear of the stories unless they have lost 10st plus :) Its probably me being over sensitive though.

If you're being sensitive then so am I !! Although looking at your weight loss is inspiring - amazing :)

You are truly inspirational! Please dont worry about others comments. A lot of people would like the fact that you have lost so much weight and that would spur them on to see that S W does work/. You have lost such a lot of weight, well done. When I started S W in the new members talk my c showed us all a photo of her pre S W .Perhaps you could do that. Again, fab weight loss, you are to be congratulated. I am sure target wont be too far off for you. :)

I don't care what my consultant looks like - how big or small they are , whether they are male or female, brown, blue, whatever. Its not important

I'd hate to think that as a group of overweight people we would be judging someones ability to be a good consultant based on how their weight.

Well said, completely agree.

Thanks everyone - just needed some reassurance. You're all so lovely! Wish you could all come to my group! :D

Just wanted to add something to this thread regarding who is more inspirational. Someone who has lost loads of weight and who has a way to go or someone who has lost 2/3 stone and is at target.

I feel everyone has a cut off point as to when they say that's it I need to do something. Some people's cut off is 2/3 stone over weight. For others it maybe 10+ stone over weight each person is different.
But I personally don't think the less weight you have to lose the less inspirational you are. The feelings of being worthless, not wanting to go out, hiding yourself away, trying to control the binges and not eating in secret are the same no matter how much you have to lose. I started off needing to lose about 3 stone and am about half way through my journey but as some of you on here will know I've struggled at times. but I don't think that because I've not got as much as others to lose it makes my journey any less valid. We all have our struggles and emotions to deal with being a cons doesn't stop your eating triggers etc from surfacing. I feel so long as they can motivate me on my journey by giving advice that is relevant to me then I don't care how much they weigh.

Suppose what I'm trying to say in my rambling way is everyone is human cons or not. If they are good at their job you will lose weight no matter where they maybe in their journey.

Back