How long before the hunger wears off?

Letty

Hi all,
Just curious: those who are a bit further in, how long did it take (if ever!) for you to stop feelng hungry with a rumbly tummy?
I am at the end of day 2, and really feel fab in myself- awake, lots of energy, clear headed. I do feel hungry a lot of the time though, although not like normal hunger (no wobblies or anything).
I know a lot of people say that after a while they don't feel hungry anymore- are we talking 3, 4 days, or more like a week? Or never?!
I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts. :confused:

Hi Letty
The hunger does wear off, It lasted with me about 4 days then each day got easier. I'm on Week 4 now and still get the odd hunger pang now and again but water really helps stop that. I drink sparkling water and personally find it a life saver on this diet!! However I must admit that fancying food never goes away lol I don't give in now tho, as I did on week 2, only had one piece of toast and it hit me out of ketosis as the hunger was back with avengance, plus it affected my weight loss that week too, so I am determined not to give in this time lol 8 more weeks and counting .... Good luck hun and keep drinking the water xxx

For me it was 2-3 weeks, but that is unusual... I am 5'8" and my cdc had suggested 3 packs a day, I read that I should be having 4 and after a while she let me step up to 4 and that stopped the hunger pangs. Now I don't always have the 4 packs, but it's nice to know I can. I notice you are 5'8" too, so my advice is have all four packs from the start and I bet the hunger will subside really quickly. Good luck and go for it!
xxx

I found hunger wore off around day 4 too but like others have said it doesn't go completely and you just have to not give in to temptation, my worse times are when I'm bored :(

For me it wore off after about 4 days, but until then every pizza / hamburger / restuarant ad on the TV / Radio / Magazine used to really jump out at me like it was 10 times louder or bigger.

Once I got passed day four, I've found that I don't feel hungry any more, but its useful to make sure you eat your meal at the right times of day to keep this going.

well im one of those people that did give in to my hunger pangs and trust me it made the diet a million times harder the next day youre absolutely starving and tend to cheat again my advice to everyone is dont do it its not worth it, heres what happens - you get hungry you try to fight it off but the mind gremlins come in to it and tell you just this once it wont hurt so you agree to it through every bite youre telling yourself "i shouldny be doing this" but it tastes lovely you polish of youre plate and you feel stuffed then the real guilt comes in to it you realise youll prob now be out of ketosis and you start to feel sick/ill cos youre stomache cant take it, you beat youself up for hours maybe have a cry then go to bed cos you dont have energy to exercise due to the carbs youve prob eaten, you wake up the next day still regretting that small meal but today youre having cramps cos youre body is craving more carbs and youre more likely to cheat again, its a vicious circle its like stopping smoking you stop for 2 weeks then you have 1 puff and thats it the craving is back again, i think feeling hungry is better than what will happen if you give in,

i wish i could take my own advice xxx

good luck to everyone on a diet cos we all need it xxx

It wasn't until the start of my second week that I stopped feeling hungry, but during the first week I had 4 shakes a day some days and still lost 8lb - if I am really hungry now I sometimes have the extra shake (at night mainly) as I reckon that is better that eating something I shoudn't.

Keep drinking the water, try sparkling water or tea or coffee (I add a little vanilla shake powder to whiten it) - all these will fill you up and stave off the dreaded pangs, but it really does get easier!

Day 5 for me when the hunger stopped, well it hasn't totally gone away but it is manageable. The empty feeling that I associate with hunger lurks but the brain is stronger now to deal with it. When people say it is all in the mind, I use to dismiss this statement but now, 38 days into SS I can appreciate these words.
Good luck with your CD journey :)

I'm on day 8 and I still feel hungry from time to time. It's not too bad during the day, but it seems to really hit me at night. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with an empty, rumbling stomach. Once I fall back asleep, it's usually better by morning.

I also find myself getting really hungry when it's time to take my next shake. Last night, I broke down in tears because I was hungry and I had to wait an extra 15 minutes for my shake.

Pretty stupid, huh?

Hi everyone!
Thanks so much for all the replies, it is all very reassuring. Getting to the end of day 3 now, and the pangs are still there. The good thing is though that it seems to be entirely isolated to the tummy, and not connected to the rest of me, so I don't necessarily crave food and don't feel weak- it's just a bit uncomfortable sometimes. I'm confident it will pass after all your reassurances.

Carrie-Ann and Melissa- thanks for the warnings! I am thoroughly warned off giving in!

Katycakes- Indeed I am onthe taller side, and even though I am only scraping 5,8" my CDC advised me to go for four packs. I'm surprised yours was so reluctant, after all, it's more sales if you have four a day! I confess, I had suspected mine of giving me the hard sell by encouraging me to have 4, so your post is reassuring.

Sack-the-juggler and Oinkstop- do you have a specific timetable? I have been having mine when I feel I need it, or when it seems convenient. Do you find it helps to have a proper, rigid schedule?

Thanks again all!

Letty, in the beginning it helped me to have my shakes on a time schedule and to ALWAYS have enough tetras or bars with me even if I go out for 1 hour just incase something comes up that would keep me away from home longer than I thought. That way I would have not excuse to eat anything off plan. That may help you too. You might give it a try.

Sack-the-juggler and Oinkstop- do you have a specific timetable? I have been having mine when I feel I need it, or when it seems convenient. Do you find it helps to have a proper, rigid schedule?

Thanks again all!

I probably should be on a timetable, but I run my own business and I'm constantly on the phone with clients, so it's hard to schedule my shakes. I try to have one in the morning, as soon as I get to my desk, one between noon and 1PM and then another around 5 or 6PM. It doesn't always work that way, though.

Mostly I just listen to my hunger. If I'm hungry and I haven't had all three of my shakes, then I have another. If I've already had the third and I'm still hungry, I'll drink some extra water, or just tell myself "too bad!"

Of course that's worked for 9 days. We'll see how well this works after I've been doing this for a while.

What you need to learn is to discern whether you are physically or mentally hungry. It is easy for your brain to trick you into feeling hungry. However sometimes you are thirsty, not hungry. My first week on the diet was easy, no hunger pans apart from the odd mental hunger but in the second week on day 8 and 9 I struggled big time. It's like my body was trying to force me to eat again lol. I went past those 2 days and apart from feeling hungry after some exercise I am normally fine. On some days I forget to take a pack till 4 or 5 because I just don't think about food anymore. All the best.

What you need to learn is to discern whether you are physically or mentally hungry. It is easy for your brain to trick you into feeling hungry.

I am just starting to learn this whenever i get a craving or think i'm hungry, i think about whether my stomach is hungry or if its just in my head. I'm very much a comfort eater, and the thing i'm finding hardest is in the evenings vegging out on the sofa everynight was my favourite time of the day! I seem to be spending alot of time on here, helps distract me and keep me focused!

Thanks Bijoux and Oinkstop- good tips there. So far, I've manages to sort of 'confine' the hunger to the rumbling in my tummy and not let it affect me. I just look forward to when I either don't feel it or don't notice anymore. Today is day 4 and I woke up today not really feeling hungry, so maybe it will start to wear off today.
Thanks for the encouragement!

Hi Jess- you're quite right, the evenings are the hardest. My flat is utterly spotless and I have had a couple of long, lovely baths this week- anything to fill the time I would normally be either out, or cooking or eating (or, of course, boozing!)

Hi Jess- you're quite right, the evenings are the hardest. My flat is utterly spotless and I have had a couple of long, lovely baths this week- anything to fill the time I would normally be either out, or cooking or eating (or, of course, boozing!)

Hey at least this diet has other positive effects! I too have got the cleaning bug - something to do to keep busy.

I think part of the key to hunger is keeping busy. When not on a diet and I was supoer busy id barely eat all day and not even think about food. Unfortunately for me work is quiet in the evenings at the moment, so that means lots of evenings at home with not a lot too do and getting very hungry!

Back