How long does it take to be kicked out of ketosis?

annaphylactic

Guess who's back...?
As many of you will have seen on my diary thread, I had a bit of a blip last night...

I did a ketostix test last night, still showed dark purple... this morning it was feinter, but still 'in'... have I got away with it do you think??

A x

Ketostix don't test for ketosis, though you can get a pink stick if you eat loads of fat, or low carb. But that doesn't mean that you will always get one when low carbing. More probable to get one when you eat high fat...but of course, no weight loss with that ;)

The stix only test for excess ketones. Urinary ketones. Ketosis is defined by the measurement in the blood (ketonemia), not the concentration of ketones in urine (ketonuria)

If you don't use all your ketones, you will excrete the excess and this will often show in the urine. Sometimes if the concentrations are high, you'll get a darker stick and if it's low, you'll get a pink or beige stick.

It means nothing, though if it is purple, it's worth checking your water intake as you might be a bit dehydrated.

Otherwise, ignore the stix. They are for diabetics to check very abnormal ketone levels...not for low carbers.

So, did you get away with it? ;) It's calories that decide on fat loss, so did you eat the calories ;) Don't stress about ketosis. Just get back on track and you'll be fine:)

BTW, the shade on the stick will change throughout the day and depending on hormones. Mine didn't change though. Never managed to get a pink stick once :D

Gosh KD thanks v much for that post!! It explains everything that I didn't understand. I have been doing exante for 6 weeks (am just a couple of lbs away from 2 st loss!) & never shown a sign of ketosis whenever I have tested myself with ketostix. And now I know that I'm probably well hydrated & also using up all my ketones! Fab news! Ketostix are banished to back of bathroom cabinet ha ha!
Thanks again!
Helen
X

Ahh, thanks KD.

I wonder why my old LL used to do sticks before any meeting... pee, then weigh, then group meeting. If we weren't in it is because we'd lapsed, so it did tie in. Everyone losing and sticking to the programme always had pink sticks, although obviously the shade showed up differing levels of ketones and hydration..... or so I thought!

You seem to know what you're talking about but I still find them really comforting and they def follow when I'm in ketosis and when I'm not (when I did Atkins it suggested buying them for testing too).

The blood/urine thing is strange... surely we want to be in ketosis "urine" wise as this is where our fat is expelled? Oh god, the more k type the more I realise I know nothing!!!!!

I like my ketone tests :) Lol xx

I wonder why my old LL used to do sticks before any meeting... pee, then weigh, then group meeting. If we weren't in it is because we'd lapsed, so it did tie in. Everyone losing and sticking to the programme always had pink sticks, although obviously the shade showed up differing levels of ketones and hydration..... or so I thought!

There's lots of folk who don't get a pink stick, even if they don't lapse. Even on LL. I hear about them. I speak with them when they go into panic mode.

You seem to know what you're talking about but I still find them really comforting and they def follow when I'm in ketosis and when I'm not (when I did Atkins it suggested buying them for testing too).

There's a new Atkins book out as much of the research from Dr Atkins days is now outdated and much more is now known about ketosis etc.

They don't recommend the stix any more (I'm told) Neither do they make such a big deal of the ketosis thing.

I can understand you being reassured by the stix, but it's one of those things. Enjoy them if they are showing pink, don't worry if they aren't. Just be concerned with the diet itself. You can get a pink stick even if you lapse...means nothing really. The stix can't tell the difference between stored fat burning and dietary fat. If you lapse, the calories count whether in or out of ketosis. If you are of the Ketosis/hunger reducing benefits brigade you could test to see if you are hungry. Personally, I know if I'm hungry without peeing on a stick :D and anyway, lots of people still get hungry moments in ketosis.

You can certainly be in ketosis and get a lovely shade of pink on the stix and gain fat, but that's to do with having too many calories rather than anything to do with ketosis.

The main benefit of ketosis on a diet such as Exante/CWP/LL/LP is the pleasant side effects (for most). Many believe it reduces hunger and cravings (though this is being debated at the moment), the euphoria that some have etc. The fat burning is happening anyway regardless of ketosis as you are in such a calorie deficit. Ketosis also helps reduce the possibility of lean mass loss, but mainly if protein isn't set high enough. It should be even for these VLCDs.

I like my ketone tests :) Lol xx

Fair enough...just don't panic if they don't change colour :)

It can be like the scales you know. Sometimes we burn fat, yet the scales stay the same because of other things that happen with body composition. It's disheartening, and misleading and can throw people off the diet. But fat is still being burnt because you are in such a deficit.

Scales are great when the results are confirming the effort you are putting in, otherwise just got to focus on the diet anyway.

Same with stix. Fab if you get a pink one to confirm that you've stuck to the diet and fat is going like it should, but it wont always confirm it and isn't a direct indicator of whether you've got away with anything :)

Thank you KD!

I will probs keep testing now and again because I find it so reassuring, but if I ever stop showing the results I want, I will come back to this post and not worry.

Thank you :) xx

Wow! Some food for thought from our KD!

The main benefit of ketosis on a diet such as Exante/CWP/LL/LP is the pleasant side effects (for most). Many believe it reduces hunger and cravings (though this is being debated at the moment), the euphoria that some have etc. The fat burning is happening anyway regardless of ketosis as you are in such a calorie deficit. Ketosis also helps reduce the possibility of lean mass loss, but mainly if protein isn't set high enough. It should be even for these VLCDs.

Would love to hear more about that!

I got some and they arrived today, perhaps not a good idea afterall.

...............thanks KD that also explains alot to me about the ketostix. I used to be an obsessive weigher and now I am an obsessive ketone tester...............both are very bad habits. My ketostix have just run out and I am not buying anymore.

Back