How long for metabolism to return to normal? For CDCs

Seaneen

Short and pink
Hi,

I've read that VLCD slow the metabolism, meaning that maintainance will constantly have to be with a lower level of calories- less than 1500kcal a day.

Is this true, and, if it is not, what is the evidence? Does the metabolism return to a point where one is not constantly dieting?

Thanks.

Anyone? I feel this is important. I don't doubt the CD for losing weight, but for keeping it off.... Basically, I don't want to be back here in a year's time.

I thought that your metabolism is faster - because your body is eating up the food pretty quick!

I, for one, took a long time to put on any weight when i started eating again as my body was so hungry for anything.

Hmmm... I'm editing the post because there seem to be different takes on the science of maintenance and calorie burning after a VCLD; my own experience was that over 1500-1700 I did gain rapidly but KD's post below suggests this corrects over time. Wayhey, hope after all, perhaps.

Well, I'm not a CDC, but I'll answer it anyway.

Your metabolism will slow down when you are on a VLCD, but then it slows down when you are on any diet, and also when you lose weight (less to lug around).

It will stay slower for the duration of the diet, but gradually increase as you go up the plans when you are nearing goal.

By the time you have finished, your metabolism will be back to normal, albeit slightly slower as you will weigh less.

It shouldn't be any slower than anyone of a similar age, weight and activity level after completing the diet.

Hope that helps.

yes your metabolism slows in line with your weight, if you weigh more, you need more to maintain, and the lighter you are the less you need to stay the same.

Its not that your metabolism shuts down, just changes based on what you weigh. You can increase your metobolism by including more activity in your daily routine

And of course, your metabolism slows down because you eat less. Happens with every diet.

Just to add to this, How many calories would you go up to? I mean to maintain? I know that the average for a woman is 2000 but could it be less than that? I know that excersise, height and weight will have something to do with it - any thoughts?

It usually fluctuats between 1700 and 2300 for the average woman, depending on activity levels, age, height etc, our metabolism also slows as we age :(

Speaking as a Personal Trainer, rather than a diet consultant, I would say the best way to rebuild your metabolism if you find it is sluggish after a VLCD is to start exercising, and particularly resistance exercises to help you build & tone muscle, as toned muscle burns calories faster.

I know you are not recommended to do much exercise on the low calorie part of a VLCD, but once you are on maintenance then you will be able to. Your daily calorie allowance will then be 1500 or so plus what you manage to burn in exercise during the day.

If you're struggling to rebuild your metabolism I would suggest joining a gym and/or hiring your own personal trainer for some exercise tips.

Speaking as a Personal Trainer, rather than a diet consultant, I would say the best way to rebuild your metabolism if you find it is sluggish after a VLCD is to start exercising, and particularly resistance exercises to help you build & tone muscle, as toned muscle burns calories faster.

I know you are not recommended to do much exercise on the low calorie part of a VLCD, but once you are on maintenance then you will be able to. Your daily calorie allowance will then be 1500 or so plus what you manage to burn in exercise during the day.

If you're struggling to rebuild your metabolism I would suggest joining a gym and/or hiring your own personal trainer for some exercise tips.

Hiya, thanks for that - very interesting! Can I just ask, what sort of price would you have to pay for a personal trainer? coz honestly, if I went to a gym I wouldn't know where to start or what was right for me?

Thanks so much for such helpful responses!

I am glad that exercise helps- I have free gym membership starting next month and the weather is lovely so I can start cycling again!

Most gyms will include some time with a trainer as part of your membership. At the very least you should be shown the machinery and given a programme that is suitable for what you want to achieve. Different gyms differ in what you get - you'll have to look at your local ones to see what's available.

If you're lucky, the gym bunny that shows you around will be pretty qualified, and should be able to offer advice on the best exercises for rebuilding metabolism.

A lot of gyms also offer personal training as an extra - some of them do it in half hour segments which is great. You shouldn't need too many of them if you're on a budget - just enough to pick the brains of a trainer and get advice on technique.

If you are paying for PT, make sure they are not just standing by you while you pound the treadmill - that's a waste of your money. I had an arrangement with my trainer where after the first session they showed me the cardio to do, which I did by myself for the first 40 minutes, then I had my 1/2 hour PT session which was much more technical with weights etc. A good hour's workout but I only paid for 1/2 hour.

This thread worrys me a bit. Last week, I had two shakes a day and one low carb meal in the evening (never more then 800 cals a day) and I didnt lose a LB....just my luck that I'll never be able to eat properly again

This thread worrys me a bit. Last week, I had two shakes a day and one low carb meal in the evening (never more then 800 cals a day) and I didnt lose a LB....just my luck that I'll never be able to eat properly again

You will. When I got to goal and was moving up the plans, I didn't lose anything. I was so worried. Felt sure that I would never be able to eat 'normally' again, but now I find I can maintain on 1800cals no problem :clap:

Shaz, this is what is happening to me:confused:Had to stop just having just three shakes a day cos I felt awful, so I changed to 2 shakes plus one meal, lost a pound one week, just over a pound the next week. (Couldn't have been eating more than 600-700 cals max per day in total, and low carb). Now CDC tells me I should be having 3 shakes and a meal, to get all nutritional requirements, so don't know how I will do this week.

This slowing metabolism question on VLCD seems to be one that no-one wants to acknowledge! Maybe it is just a minority of dieters? But it happens. Wish I had started on 1000 cals and then gradually cut down rather than on 450 cals.

I'm seriously worried that I'm stuck on eating about 600 cals a day, and losing about 1lb a week:(

Hi Cee-cee...looks like KD said the same thing happened to her, but now she can eat a 'normal' amount of cals.......I'm going to see how I get on this week hun! I only go for weigh in every other week now, so I'm going to have to wait til a week on Tuesday. Fingers crossed for us.xx

I did a "sort of" experiment a few weeks ago, and the findings are interesting, Its based on my observations and no one else, and no scientific anything!!

I did a week on 2 packs and a green and white meal. Lost bog all!!

A week on 3 packs and a green and white meal, lost 6lbs!!

I think its something to do with the essentials that are in the packs, that you miss out if you dont have them, including essential fatty acids etc. Im not a scientist though so anyone can correct me if Im wrong!!

As for metabolism, I can agree with KD, I maintained on 16/1700 cals (and Im Small!!) for over one year. No problem at all.

I messed up and started eating the wrong things after that, and have ended up back on CD again.

Maintaining is very possible, but dont deviate, the diet is written for a reason, as are the steps, if you follow it then you will be just fine. After finishing look at weight loss resources and steady away. Then dont do what I did, and shove everything in your mouth after a year and think you can eat anything :D

Back